Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

California title and reg. questions

Hi,

I'm picking up my Dodge near Sacramento next week. I plan on driving it home.

I've googled this issue 6 ways to Tuesday and am not getting clear answers.

What is the California process for out of state purchases? Can I simply get a bill of sale and signed title, and head out?

Temporary trip permit? Some states do and some don't.

Out of state owner on updated title? Again some do, some don't.

Any answers rooted in real life experience are much appreciated.

Cheers,

G.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

Garage
I bought Moby in California, the PO left the plates on and I drove it back to Utah over 2 days. I had the title in hand as well as a bill of sale. I also had insurance in place. I didn't have any issues on the drive so I was never tested on what would have happened had I been pulled over.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

The seller doesn't keep the plates in CA when you sell a car, so they will still be on the car when you purchase it, unless they have custom plates. With the title in hand, you should be good to go. I would ask the seller to leave the current registration paperwork in the van so you can show proof of current registration and the name on the reg will match the title.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

You will be totally fine. CA doesn't issue temp tags for taking it out of state. Just leave the plate on and go.

Also, if the seller keeps the plates, CA doesnt have temp ones, so there are tons of cars driving around with no plates at all while they wait for the DMV to mail theirs to them. So you wont be the only one without plates.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Download the PDF, print and bring with you a California Bill of Sale for the seller to fill out.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=

Make sure the seller signs the 'release of liability' lines 1a, 1b if (co-owed, two names on the title with AND. If stated OR, one of the parties signatures will do.), and line 2. Also the declaration of odometer reading box needs to be filled out by the seller, seller signature (s). The seller should ask you to fill out a form called "Notice of Transfer and release of liability" often attached to the title, at a perforation. The seller will send it in to California DMV, to get it out of his name, in case you use the van in a crime or something.

Carry all the paper work with you, have a phone number of the seller handy, in the very remote possibility you get pulled over by law enforcement.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
You will be totally fine. CA doesn't issue temp tags for taking it out of state. Just leave the plate on and go.

Also, if the seller keeps the plates, CA doesnt have temp ones, so there are tons of cars driving around with no plates at all while they wait for the DMV to mail theirs to them. So you wont be the only one without plates.
Well I might be the only one driving across 10 states and one international border without a plate.

Last time I took one of my own plates and through it on the back. At least I tried... officer.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Download the PDF, print and bring with you a California Bill of Sale for the seller to fill out.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=

Carry all the paper work with you, have a phone number of the seller handy, in the very remote possibility you get pulled over by law enforcement.
I'll likely be speeding in the last ever 440 equipped Dodge van to cross the continent.

Um. No chance.

Very remote indeed.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

A 440? Seriously? Didn’t know they put those in vans. You won’t be speeding because you’ll be stopping at every gas station!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #9

'79 was the last year of the big block in any Chrysler product.

And yes they were in the vans.

I figure the mileage, after a quick power tuning session, will be somewhere around 11 mpg.

Lousy cylinder head design needs lots of spark advance. Power tuning...
Old 11-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #10

So much for 11 mpg. 8 is the reality.

California offers a simple answer to the trip permit or PO with expired registration. The helpful gals at the Grass Valley DMV sold me a $21 Quick Trip permit.

You fill out your name, starting and ending trip addresses, date of trip start, and VIN. Take as long as you want she said. If Johnny Law checks it out it is in the national system as a trip permit for that VIN. Carry a bill of sale and the signed over title as well.

Easy.