Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #1

Garage
CCV Poptop Hot Weather Report

It was 102 degrees in my driveway today, the first really hot weather since the CCV poptop was installed last fall. I was curious to see how the van interior would feel after sitting out there all day with the top up, van windows closed, and poptop windows unzipped.

I’m used to opening the door in that kind of heat and getting blasted in the face. This time was a pleasant surprise. It was very comfortable sitting in the recliner. I climbed up top and there was a nice breeze coming through. One of the things I knew I would like in the CCV top is that sixth opening window. There was great airflow up there and it reassured me that camping where I can’t find shade on a hot day might not be too bad after all.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Interesting Mr Otter---must be the extra height of the pop-top and opened windows lets any heat out as you observed the gentle breeze flowing through.

That solar gain can be a real PITA when its not wanted.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #3

Garage
Same experience here. Weekend before last. Wasn’t a shade spot to camp so we camped 100% exposed. Temps were upper 90’s outside and inside temp was 98*. Around 2pm the fish weren’t biting and I had been up since 7. Typically I’d pull out the lounger and find some shade and take a snooze, but wasn’t really an option. Crawled up in the penthouse and laid down to see if the breeze was enough to keep me cool for a little nappy. Was out in like 10 min. Woke up 1.5 hours later to the wife scrambling up into bed to join me.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
must be the extra height of the pop-top and opened windows lets any heat out as you observed the gentle breeze flowing through.
Ya, for sure. The folks who invented the poptop really took advantage of the properties of convection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Same experience here... Crawled up in the penthouse and laid down to see if the breeze was enough to keep me cool for a little nappy.
That’s exactly what I like to do in the afternoon. Glad to see the top works in the desert heat. I lived in Ontario back in the day and used to scramble all over the streams on the Idaho side. Where is that spot? I always wanted to go back and stay again in one of those nice little campgrounds up high along the Snake.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #5

Garage
This spot is just above Carey, Idaho off the little wood river. Wasn’t another camp spot within a couple of miles of us and that little river produced damn near 20 fish over the course of the weekend. Wife caught her first fish on a fly rod and it dwarfed everything I caught by a couple of inches... of course, lol. It was a very relaxing weekend. This area isn’t plagued with utv’s hauling ass past your camp every 30 seconds.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 07-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
This spot is just above Carey, Idaho off the little wood river. Wasn’t another camp spot within a couple of miles of us and that little river produced damn near 20 fish over the course of the weekend. Wife caught her first fish on a fly rod and it dwarfed everything I caught by a couple of inches... of course, lol. It was a very relaxing weekend. This area isn’t plagued with utv’s hauling ass past your camp every 30 seconds.
Ah. Took a look at the satellite map. Looks like a great little spot. I don’t think I ever got over that way. We used to go backcountry skiing up in the Sawtooths and stay in some cool (as in near freezing but fun) huts in Galena, a ways up there. Great country.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

I thought I recognized that area.
"This area isn’t plagued with utv’s hauling ass past your camp every 30 seconds"
No offense but it will be if people continue to post locations of their favorite places. (Especially if the fishing, surf, 4 wheeling etc is good) Just sayin....
Its becoming more and more common for me to see spots I used to enjoy becoming overrun and abused thanks to people unwittingly posting about their favorite secret spots. My 20 something kids have been saying the same thing and they understand the internet is largely to blame. "Keep the west wild - no geo tagging" has become a refrain.
Sorry but it just happened to me a few weeks back. Old favorite serene camping spot turned to dust bowl, prior campers not following leave no trace etc
Rant over - Now back to the previously scheduled program....
Idamanzz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #8

Garage
Finding that spot with my description would not be easy. I had very detailed instructions from a local. I’m 100% with you on posting specifics, but social media is ruining all the good stuff.

I keep seeing some random site on fb that uses the title with something like “this remote waterfall in Idaho will drop your jaw with its beauty.” Then 5 billion shares.

Social media has destroyed all the hot springs in this area. Then people bitch at me when I won’t share locations. People please. I worked hard to find that hot spring back before social media. Took me numerous tries with crappy directions from locals intentionally getting me as far from the springs as possible, but I wanted it, so I kept searching. Then rewarded for years. Now it’s crowded 7 days of the week. It’s frustrating. So yes, I welcome your train of though and the rant is warranted.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
...Social media has destroyed all the hot springs in this area. Then people bitch at me when I won’t share locations...

Just give them the GPS coordinates of the nearest Walmart parking lot and call it a day. Many of these people just want the glory and to be able to post pics without enjoying the exploration to find these special locations. We all want to experience special locations, but it so much more rewarding when you take wrong turns and sometimes you find things you weren't looking for.

Herb
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^^ Great idea!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote