Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Clean Slate - 2020 Transit Ecoboost

Hi everyone,

I was looking at E350 SMB but decided to go new and start fresh and see what happens.

My plan was to put a Quigley 4x4 into it ASAP but it seems that will be a while due to them still doing the R&D for the new 10 spd. Other than that, it will be my mobile office/camp gear hauler for my wife, dogs and me to get out camping and “working from home”...as long as I have 4G.

Take Care!
Attached Thumbnails
FC2F3E3C-CECE-46EC-8834-12847387B4CC.jpg   7DDB277C-1591-45E5-8F64-9C58772742E4.jpg   D260E5E8-637A-42CF-B4CC-8B256D99A8B6.jpg   2DCC1FAA-0175-4D0E-BD76-6008EEBA75B8.jpg  

Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #2

Love it, congrats! Keep us posted on how things progress.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Love it, congrats! Keep us posted on how things progress.
Thanks! Sure thing, I was pretty bummed about the Quigley status but I kind of expected it. I had to jump on this van because they’re selling like hot cakes and I really wanted the Ecoboost. Only thing I am wondering about is the lack of limited slip on the axle. I was planning on quigley putting a LSD or having someone else install a locker. Now I have probably a year of adventures without limited slip and I do a lot of dirt roads. Should be fun. I think I’ll be getting KO2 tires sooner than later.

The salesman laughed when I said I wanted to use it for a camper. He said out of all the commercial vans he sold in the last 5 weeks only 1 was to be used for work and it was going to haul cannabis from a farm. Haha. The others are all for conversions.

Cheers!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #4

hastag that van life...heavy on the hash. I wonder if you could have a dealer installed LSD (at a slightly higher cost of course) that would still be a part of your warranty in the short term?

KO2s are great, I ran them for awhile. Might I suggest at least considering the General Grabber ATX? Price them out at least. I've been really happy with them.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:39 PM   #5

Have you thought about QuadVan instead of Quigley? I thought Quigley was only doing new non-delivered Transits? Anyways... QuadVan gets you more Ford-standard components up front, and you can add front and rear Tru-Tracks. Or even a rear e-locker. And they can put on Aluminess or Van Compass goodies at the same time, which can save you quite a bit on shipping and sales tax for those items, since Oregon doesn't have sales tax.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Have you thought about QuadVan instead of Quigley? I thought Quigley was only doing new non-delivered Transits? Anyways... QuadVan gets you more Ford-standard components up front, and you can add front and rear Tru-Tracks. Or even a rear e-locker. And they can put on Aluminess or Van Compass goodies at the same time, which can save you quite a bit on shipping and sales tax for those items, since Oregon doesn't have sales tax.
I have thought about them. I figured I’d reach out to Quigley first since they have been doing it longer and it would give us an excuse to drive our van to PA and visit friends.

Now that I know they aren’t ready and they have 200 vans from Ford ahead of me, I’ll check them out. 1 year ago Quigley started doing used vans but you need under 60k miles on them and under 30k to get a 2 year warranty. You only get full warranty at new to 999 miles.

I like the idea of sliminess goodies and lockers. I’ll check, thanks!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
hastag that van life...heavy on the hash. I wonder if you could have a dealer installed LSD (at a slightly higher cost of course) that would still be a part of your warranty in the short term?

KO2s are great, I ran them for awhile. Might I suggest at least considering the General Grabber ATX? Price them out at least. I've been really happy with them.
I run the KO2s on my 4runner and have in my pickups but I have an open mind and I’ll check the General Grabbers. Thanks! Also, if I can’t get any 4x4 in near future your idea of dealer installed LSD is a good one. I got a decent deal on van considering how popular they are. $500 over invoice and then a $1250 rebate. The rebate ended today too.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:40 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
What sort of build-out are you considering? Something minimal or over-the-topish?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #9

Garage
Congrats. Sounds like a great deal. I’m with JWA, plans?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
What sort of build-out are you considering? Something minimal or over-the-topish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Congrats. Sounds like a great deal. I’m with JWA, plans?
My wife and I are going to drive and camp in it a little while and see what comes to us. We want something that will easily handle a few days on the road and a few days dry camping.

She's photographer and will use it to get to places to shoot, and we both love the outdoors so we want 4x4 for sure. I can work remotely quite a bit and the plan is to have her drive some long days while I'm working, then arriving somewhere and having the weekend off-grid, maybe a 3-4 day weekend, then driving a day or two home, with me working again. We also would like longer trips too.

Things we'd like:

Try to keep the weight down a bit, if possible

Aluminess front bumper/winch, lights

Rear tire carrier/box

Good solar system and a large enough inverter to handle our Vitamix blender.
- I'd love to have the van all electric, no LPG or anything else.
- With that being said, I'll have to see if there is a good electric heater that would work.

I like the idea of side flares so we can sleep across the van, I'm 6'.

15 gallon water tank/galley. May only use tea kettle to heat water in the van but have a stove of some sort to use outside the van. Will probably get induction cooktop.

Nice awning, probably hand crank for simplicity.

Swivel front chairs, so I'd have to lower the driver side E-brake

Roof rack for solar and stuff

A workspace for me, so I'll need a little table/desk combo. Maybe this will fold up from sliding door and I can swivel passenger seat around (would not be used while traveling, lol)

I'd like it to feel relaxing and not cluttered. So we'll see what happens. My wife wants it to look like a lady had help in the design and doesn't want it to look like an aluminum 80/20 fest...

Suggestions are welcomed!

Tags
2020, ecoboost, transit