Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Cool rig

While walking around the hospital I came across this cool Element.

I have never been a fan of the Honda Element but its a cool setup.
Buck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Re: Cool rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
I have never been a fan of the Honda Element
Just curious, why not?

True, we "upgraded" from our Honda Element to an SMB, but not because we didn't like the Element but because we needed something with more space for rainy and/or buggy days. We outfitted our Element with a homemade convertible bed/storage platform. We got very good at packing it. We did a couple of 6-8 week road trips in it. We even managed to get an inflatable canoe-yak in it with all our other gear for the long trips. My wife has inherited the Element as her daily driver. We enjoy the E very much - very useful, practical, decent gas mileage (~26mpg), and fun. Honda has stopped making them, even though we see them all over the place here in SoCal.

We seriously considered the Ecamper vs the SMB; the SMB won out because the Ecamper didn't give quite enough room and had to climb through the moonroof to get in it. Plus the Element doesn't have quite the clearance the SMB does.

Ursa Minor makes the Ecamper. They also make a similar poptop for the Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited, which they make in partnership with Adventure Trailers. The wife and I have discussed that when the time comes for the Element to retire ( shhh, in a few years; don't want to say it too loud in case the E hears), it might get replaced with a JKU with the Ursa Minor top.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

To much of a "granolie" :mrgreen:rig for my taste...no offense way to much plastic,poor ground clearance and no power but seems that it has been a nice rig for your family.
Buck

Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #4

Garage

ive been sent a few links about these from honda friends that think ive betrayed the brand by now owning a ford, lol. pretty damn cool setup honestly.

while i agree they are pretty ugly overall, the lack of hp can be fixed (with money, like anything else). lots of honda motors will swap into the chassis pretty easily. the k20a from the euro r accord and type r civic/integra has 220hp/152tq stock and a redline of 8500. with basic bolt ons and a tune it would wake up signifigantly. people are getting over 300hp normally asperated. with the snail ive seen them with over 1000hp.

even the turboed rdx motor (k23 238hp/260tq) will bolt up, but i have no idea of the logistics to make that all function stock. dont know much about the newer hondas...

not trying to upsale by any means cause i sure as hell wouldnt trade down from my van, but one of these in the right hands could be pretty badass. personally, id do a landcruiser with one of the many poptops ive seen available and put in a 2jz from a late model supra before i did a element.

and clearance? money can fix that too.

a pic of the top up.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

Lol ya that looks cool...but its an Element that looks to be on a different chassis. You can't do extreme lifts with a FWD- based 4x4, like you can with a Rwd-based rig the take off angle between the front trans axle and the wheels is the big problem, a few and I mean a few inches is all you could get.
Buck

Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

Re: Re: Cool rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie

and clearance? money can fix that too.
Below is a pic of an Element under carriage

Now where did that rear axle come from? Looks to be either a Suzuki or maybe a Toyota. Besides what would one tow with such a thing if it were possible.
Thanks
Buck
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

The Element is a great little machine!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #8

I like the Element. But if I wanted a mini-camper, I think the Transit Connect may be better suited. The TC has enough payload and heavier suspension for camper-izing. The new TC also has an EB version available, and EcoBoost. Since it shares the Focus/Escape platform, AWD conversion should be feasible.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

We like our Element too. It did get a little cramped with the two of us and all our gear but didn't stop us from road tripping with it (until we started bottoming out on some of the dirt roads in Death Valley).

That lifted Element is cool but I'm not sure I'd go that far!

Here's a modded Transit Connect that is kinda appealing, on the interior at least: http://www.minicamper.nl/auto/interieur.htm