Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

Finally got one! (E250)

2011 E250 15 passenger

Excited to get this build started. My first action will be to source and install Mounts and ARB awning.

Next will be a Maxxair vent. Does anyone have experience installing the vent in this style top? Will the fiberglass need structural support for the vent install?

https://imgur.com/aMtd8gb
Attached Thumbnails
Van.jpg  

Chief254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #2

A lot depends on the construction of your top. Mine has a similar but not identical top. I can't see the underside of my top since it's covered by a headliner that also has A/C vents down the center.

I removed the panel hiding the cavity over the cab and was able to take a cell phone photo, looking to the rear, that shows two longitudinal stringers that are fiberglassed in. I'm thinking they're wood but they could be fiberglass channels. This is good news for attaching solar panels (which is why I was looking) but could be problematical with respect to vents. I wouldn't want to cut them and compromise the rigidity of the top.

If your's is plain fiberglass, you shouldn't have a problem but I'd probably make a plywood spacer to give some rigidity around the hole.

Here's what mine looks like:

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief254 View Post
2011 E250 15 passenger

Excited to get this build started. My first action will be to source and install Mounts and ARB awning.

Next will be a Maxxair vent. Does anyone have experience installing the vent in this style top? Will the fiberglass need structural support for the vent install?
If you can show a view of the existing ceiling and headliner I might have photos showing a roll cage-like structure typically required and built-in by the converter. From that you might be able to decide where and how to poke through the top for MaxxAire vents etc. (My '05 E350 looks very similar to yours, the rear doors being a clue as to what might be just under the raised roof.)

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote