Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

Re: First SMB!!

You might be able to get a lower profile shroud or a new roof top a/c that has an overall lower height if you need. 15000 BTU may be a bit overkill, not sure how small you can get anymore. We had to replace the rooftop a/c seal on our very first camper and it was super easy.

I think that top can still be purchased but it's not very popular, around here anyway. There's a version for the low height Sprinter's that seems to be very desired amongst the home builders, it's rounded instead of squared off in the front.

-John

Old 08-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Needs more lights on the front, maybe just 4 or 6 more.
Not to pile on.. But I found you these on eBay.

In all seriousness though.. nice van, and you got a good deal.. that doesn't happen every day in SMBworld.
Ha ya that's way more important than the aluminess box I was planning on getting, what good is storage if you can't even see a mile in front of you?

Ya, the a/c is a bit overkill but it works well so I don't know if i'll touch it anytime soon unless I can find a cheap way to make it lower profile.

My next few moves are to get a new deck for the sound system and possibly get a bigger awning so that I don't have to move my chair every ten minutes to stay in the shade.
kyleblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

That's a big boy you got there. There is a similar one in town. Must be nice to have some real room. Congrats on your find.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Can't quite figure out why the previous owner would build a van with a large top on it, only to put the smallest possible awning on it.
That's a ShadyBoy. It actually extends to 3x the length of the case.

Brent
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #15

Ya I realized that when i tried setting it up the other day. It's a pain in the ass to set up, probably won't get much use.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #16

That is one sweet monster of a ride, amigo - I'm pretty sure I saw you parked on the west side of CA-1 in Malibu tuesday when driving home from a long wknd camping. Wife and I were both like whoa! Was wondering about those little vents on the windows? Pets? At any rate you don't sound like you're local but if you're planning to be in LA for a stretch Gene's Automotive in Eagle Rock works on my oldie, a 1990 E-350 SMB all the time and are outstanding. Super honest and good with anything from custom metal fabrication to ac, electrical, etc. Anyhows best of luck and have fun!

Joe
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspack
That is one sweet monster of a ride, amigo - I'm pretty sure I saw you parked on the west side of CA-1 in Malibu tuesday when driving home from a long wknd camping. Wife and I were both like whoa! Was wondering about those little vents on the windows? Pets? At any rate you don't sound like you're local but if you're planning to be in LA for a stretch Gene's Automotive in Eagle Rock works on my oldie, a 1990 E-350 SMB all the time and are outstanding. Super honest and good with anything from custom metal fabrication to ac, electrical, etc. Anyhows best of luck and have fun!

Joe
Haha yep that was me, on a little surf hiatus and breaking in the rig. I'm back in Salt Lake now and have it at a local shop called Clay's RV and Powersports. The vents are just so you can have the windows open while its raining. Its funny how easy it is to spot my rig, it sticks out quite a bit.