Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #1

Garage
Grand Teton National Park

Road trip to the Tetons a couple of weekends ago. The campgrouds were still closed but we stayed at Colter Bay. You can camp in the lower parking area during the winter months for a $5 fee. All facilities are closed but they keep the bathrooms at the visitor center open. Hot and cold running water, flush toilets and a clean bathroom!

We saw a momma grizzly and 3 cubs when we came in on Friday night. They were hanging out near the Oxbow and we were hoping they would still be in the area the next day. As it turned out they hung around all weekend digging for grubs, pocket gopher stashes and playing in the open fields near the road.

We got up early to take sunrise images at the Oxbow, one of my favorite places. Spent most of the day watching the grizzlies and got some good sunset pictures. Did lots of exploring and enjoyed the SMB. The weather was great, sunny during the day and cold nights. It was a great weekend.

Some images of the rig, the local animals and the mountains:

The SMB at Dead Man's Bar along the Snake River.
New Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 315/75 60.

Geese at the Oxbow.

Sunrise at the Oxbow

North side of Mt. Moran at sunset.

Fox bringing dinner back to the den.

Grizzly cubs.

It was a great weekend. Can't wait to get back.

Mike and Kris

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #2

Re: Grand Teton National Park

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Nice pics. GTNP is a beautiful place. On my first visit, i'll never forget coming over a hill and seeing the mountain range jumping out in plain site...one of those frozen in time moments.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Nice pics. GTNP is a beautiful place. On my first visit, i'll never forget coming over a hill and seeing the mountain range jumping out in plain site...one of those frozen in time moments.
Had the same experience and that's exactly how I would describe it. It's my favorite NP. Great pictures! Thanks!
bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Beautiful pics. I love the color of your van too!!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #6

Dat fox. Great photos!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Garage

great pix! miss eastern idaho. miss the snow, miss the powder turns....miss the scenery you captured in your photos. oh, and nice looking rig

my fav...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Garage

Shenrie, it was fun seeing an old thread and pictures. Haven't seen some of those pix for quite a while. It's been about a month since my wife and I have gotten back up to the Tetons. I'm sure we'll be staying at the Colter Bay parking area several times this winter while we explore and look for more images. The Park is so beautiful during the winter. No crowds, no traffic, just peace and quiet and the mountains. I highly recommend a winter visit for anyone that can get away.
Just as Bluesprinter said, It's our favorite park too. Can't wait to get back!

A couple of my favorites from past trips.

This coyote has been fishing at the Oxbow.

Also at the Oxbow. We watched this grizzly for several hours. It took a swim in a small open water area and then climbed out of the water right below us.

Mike and Kris
Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

Wow! great pics!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #10

Garage

^^^ this. your pix are great. I ran through your gallery and you catch a vibe with your photos that makes me feel like Im right there. well done sir!

the tetons are a special place indeed. very fond memories of growing up all around that area. dad used to take me camping, hiking, etc at jenny lake. lots of trips to yellowstone and teton parks every year. i got to take my wife there for her first time and watching her face light up at all the sights in the 2 parks was priceless.

then in my teens i discovered snowboarding and back then, the knuckledraggers wernt allowed at the ski resorts so we started riding the teton pass. every chance i got we were up there riding. victor, driggs, wilson, and jh were like my second home. i miss the area immencely. honestly, i still do more riding over that way than i do in our area. we seriously dont really even get winters here. just a neverending coldass fall, lol. one of the main reasons for wanting to build a smb is so we can camp right at the base of the pass.

ill shutup cause i can go on for days about my old stompin grounds, but look forward to seeing more of your snaps in the future.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote