Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Community Forums > Show & Tell
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #21

Kleenex, Q-tips, GatorAde, Levis.....not a problem.

dat2ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage
I like it a lot. Nice layout and looks well built. They do make frame mounted (under the vehicle) generators that could probably run the A/C if it's something you can't live without.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Probably 50% of the vans talked about here or owned by forum members are not “Sportsmobiles.” Let it go. I have (speaking as a two-time owner of actual Sportsmobiles). The more common thing is to call any 4x4 van a Sportsmobile, even if it’s not a camper or doesn’t have a pop-top. [emoji35]
Agreed---from some of the not-so-good stories and tales about an actual Sportsmobile could be a good thing?!

From the photos I'm seeing this looks to be a very well done DIY conversion---not a thing to explain or apologize for IMHO.

I would think if you sold this inside a year or so you'd recoup most of not all money already spent. Naturally that means you'll want to keep up maintenance on the RV portion as well as the running gear of the E-Series part too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #24

I dig those lights hooked up where the seatbelt bolts were. Wonder were he got them.
2006E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #25

Let me know if you decide to sell! I know someone who REALLY wants one, and has the money in cash!
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #26

Camperdude
Do you have a stove and fridge? I couldn’t tell from the photos. Also, about that “ bathroom”..... I do have
one in mine, which is basically a toilet and sink with cabinets. That said, it really wastes a lot of space! I don’t think I’d have chosen the size of it had I bought
brand new as it takes up about 1/3 of the total space inside the van!!! Think I’d have gone for the smaller “ Marine style” all-in-one bath, sink, shower combo, or
possibly a composting toilet without the rest.
Just a thought for you if you go that route. I am about to turn 70, and some of this ( like emptying the
tanks), and lifting the ( very!) heavy gaucho to get to
batteries and water tank have become a major pain in the ass!!!
Old 10-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #27

Ain’t it the truth! And it reminds me a lot of the vans made by GreatWest, which I think is a Canadian Co.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #28

Hey everyone i used the van a few times and made some updates. Kinda forgot about this thread until i finished this project and felt like talking about it lol.

I dont have a stove built in, i do have a fridge and a microwave. I used a small butane stove to cook on a table outside.

I upgraded the batteries i went a lil overboard.. Got 2 used valence batteries and installed in parallel. Also added a fuse box for DC devices and re-worked the inverter wiring so the inverter powers the entire van now. (It wont run everything.. but everything can have power available)

I love these batteries! You can connect them with a laptop and see everything about them. remaining capacity, charge current even.

I also added a shore power charger for the batteries i have not yet wired to a toggle switch. I need to be able to turn the charger off when i'm on battery power so I dont make a feedback loop situation. I plan to just put that rear outlet on a switch to toggle it on/off.

I may or may not upgrade the solar panels.

here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201116_151655717.MP.jpg   PXL_20201116_171116588.MP.jpg  
CamperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #29

Hi CamperDude!
Sounds great! I too am missing the stove. The fool I
bought it from removed the entire propane system, and did not save it for reinstall. Or maybe I am the fool for buying it that way. Have been looking for another propane setup that could fit. If you run across one let me know please? Meanwhile am using two small alcohol camp stoves. I’ve never used the
Microwave as it has to be plugged in, unless those batteries are powerful enough to run it??
ConnieKat
Old 11-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #30

The batteries could run it. i have a lil over 200ah in lithium batteries now. I dont know the exact capacity because they are used and dont have the full capacity anymore. they're rated for 138ah each but im guessing they're just a little over 100ah each now. According to the math.. 1100w microwave would be about 100 amps on the battery. could run it for an hour and a half. Most of the time you only need a few minutes anyway.

The inverter is my problem, I tried it and the inverter shuts itself off after 5 seconds. But if i upgrade the inverter thats a whole new can of worms!

Then i have to re-locate the inverter to back next to the batteries because a bigger inverter wont physically fit where the current one is. and also it's just a better spot because I'll have a short run from the batteries.

I installed the toggle switch for the shore power battery charger. so i can leave it plugged in and just toggle the switch on when i want to charge the batteries. Just have to remember to toggle it off before i power on the inverter! maybe i need a cover for it.. hehe

Now my next step is to actually use it some more.
CamperDude is offline   Reply With Quote