Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #31

CamperDude!
Hope you’ll let us know how it works out! I had bought and installed a new and much more “ robust”
Inverter, which I planned to use with my combo of batteries and solar panels. Unfortunately, winter has set in for Colorado, and I have not been able to get all
of this stuff done. Had also hoped to replace my missing propane system, but no luck yet with one that might fit! Hope you have a chance to give yours a
lengthy trial run.....
Good Luck,
ConnieKat

ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #32

Here's some pics took it for a day trip to a local spot today. Made me wish i had a way to cook in the van because it was really windy outside when i tried to make lunch.

Charging/running a laptop, phone, tv and running the fridge using about 16 amps the solar will only charge around 5 amps.

I could do this all day and run the fridge all night. but charging the next day becomes the issue now. I'd have to run my engine atleast a couple hours to charge back up. or plug in.

My panel might keep up with just the fridge..

Has anyone tried newpowa panels? https://www.newpowa.com/collections/...cy-solar-panel

I could fit 2 of these on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201118_185102796.PANO.jpg   PXL_20201118_184806242.MP.jpg  
CamperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #33

I got 2 newpowa 75 watt panels because they were the only ones I found that fit my space. I also got an mppt controller from them.

They're working for me so far.

Their prices were really good, and they have a lot of sales/incentives.

My friend who works in the solar industry helped with the install and he was impressed with their stuff (for the price, anyway.) For the record, he thinks renogy stuff is sub-par.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #34

Cool, it really wouldnt be to hard to do. I know it would end up being a much bigger project then i expect though i'll probably end up changing wires and something else too im sure thats how it seems to go so far!

I'm also tempted to do one large rectangular panel and have a cargo basket on the other side of it. maybe a 200w panel. sacrifice the recharge rate for storage.. IDK.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDude View Post
I'm also tempted to do one large rectangular panel and have a cargo basket on the other side of it...
Just be aware that when something is placed on either side of your Solar panel, output will more than likely be compromised by any shadows developing (unless the panel is mounted higher) - so expected that performance may not meet your expectations.
I deal with this because of the Thule box on my roof, so I now rely more on my two suitcase panels.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #36

Good point!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #37

CamperDude,
Looks great! Is that an A/C on your ceiling, or a combo of AC plus heater? Really wish I had that instead of the Starcool I have in mine! It has never worked right....and is basically a huge box that takes
up way too much room! Meanwhile, I have 3 sets of solar panels, where two just don’t quite fit the “ curves” on my tall roof! Latest idea is to attach them to metal or fiberglass panels that will curve over those areas, which I think was something you have. I
may be wrong as I’ve checked out quite a few and have gotten a bit confused over who has what!
Ah well, yours looks great, and I believe there are some types of stove that can be used inside your van. You may want to check into that!
Good Luck,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #38

it's an a/c. it has a "low heat" mode that i used once. it does warm up the van but takes a lil time. i'd call it putting out warm air, not hot.

It's a coleman mach8 13,500 btu. the guy that did the conversion said he wanted it to be able to fit in a garage. hence the low roof and low profile a/c.

what if you had your solar panels on a folding hinge type thing, and you could fold them out when you park? has anyone done this?

I could use my stove on the back table with the fan on full blowing everything out the back doors i think. if i really had to.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #39

That's a GREAT van for a GREAT price. For about $10000-15000, Colorado Camper Vans or SMB can create a pop top for that van although not sure how that's managed with the AC unit. There is another outfit in Utah who can convert it to 4x4 also if that's important to you.
smb50co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:59 AM   #40

solar kit

(QUOTE) what if you had your solar panels on a folding hinge type thing, and you could fold them out when you park? has anyone done this?

This came highly recommended https://www.lensunsolar.com/Foldable...product_id=381

I have it, used it a few times in the driveway and it's a solid setup. I didn't buy the controller because my DC to DC charger manages it fine. Great company to work with and solid reviews from other forum members
Michisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote