Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Look at a Sportsmobile Penthouse Top

My husband and I are interested in buying a Sportsmobile penthouse top for our Sprinter van. We would like to see one before buying. Anyone in Utah or western Colorado have one that we could look at?

Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

Garage
If you haven't yet, do yourselves a huge favor and check out the pop tops from Colorado Camper Vans. Their tops are "arguably" much better than those produced by SMB. Lots of threads and posts on this forum explain the differences in the two tops.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
If you haven't yet, do yourselves a huge favor and check out the pop tops from Colorado Camper Vans. Their tops are "arguably" much better than those produced by SMB. Lots of threads and posts on this forum explain the differences in the two tops.
I am aware of the pop top from Colorado Camper Van. The design of the Sportsmobile penthouse top has some advantages that I like.
Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

Sonja: Are you planning on sleeping in the penthouse?

Sportsmobile beds are 39" wide and CCV beds are 50" wide.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #5

Lots of people are perfectly happy sleeping in the Sportsmobile Penthouse top’s bed...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
My husband and I are interested in buying a Sportsmobile penthouse top for our Sprinter van. We would like to see one before buying. Anyone in Utah or western Colorado have one that we could look at?
Where in Utah and where in western Colorado? When I think Utah fairly close to Colorado I think Moab. If you go to City Market in Moab on any Saturday you can befriend tons of people with all manner of Sportsmobiles, CCV's and every other make. It's a veritable #vanlife gathering just about any weekend.

Same goes for Jackson Wyoming, Ouray/Silverton/Durango, Telluride and lots of other trendy western CO towns.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Lots of people are perfectly happy sleeping in the Sportsmobile Penthouse top’s bed...

Yes, that's true....I have one and I'm happy with it.....although it can be a bit tight sleeping two. There is a little room up top on either side of the bed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
If you go to City Market in Moab on any Saturday you can befriend tons of people with all manner of Sportsmobiles, CCV's and every other make. It's a veritable #vanlife gathering just about any weekend.

No kidding.....really any day in Spring or fall...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Yes, that's true....I have one and I'm happy with it.....although it can be a bit tight sleeping two. There is a little room up top on either side of the bed as well.
Why does the phrase "go vertical" come to mind?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
We have the SMB top, love it and agree that the CC tops are really cool too...my only suggestion is if/when you get the PH top, have SMB NORTH DO IT!!! Call Nacy Nix (designer/VP/glue that holds the place together!) and get your name in the books ASAP! At least the 'top only' will take less time than a full build! Good luck! Maybe see a "trip report" with the new top by late Spring?!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #10

We love our penthouse top, no upper bed so I don't know the measurements, the lower bed is a standard full size. I have no intention of climbing up in an upper bed and don't need company. We took out the upper bed in the Eurovan camper to use the space above.

Lots of van owners love to show the features of their vans. We've come back to the van to find nose prints on the windows. Free tours.
LindaDV is offline   Reply With Quote