Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #291
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,690
Garage
I like it!
__________________

__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #292
Senior Member
 
Otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,134
Garage
Now THAT, my friend, is a true CAMPING vehicle. I loved my Toyota 4WD. Had I seen something like this when I gave it up, well...

Im a big fan of simple. I sometimes feel like were in a race to make things better - and more complicated - all the time. I like that your new rig swings the pendulum toward simple. A marriage of technology and simplicity is a beautiful thing. Good luck!
.
__________________

__________________
"PhoTo" - 2014 Ford E350 5.4L RB - Agile 4x4 - CCV Poptop
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #293
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 9,975
Garage
Thanks Robb. Your Toyota, is it their largest 4x4 model? I'm bouncing between pickup brands. For the conversion, I'd like something that is somewhat similar to my van in a more compact design. It would be nice to have something I could comfortably kick back in that has a heated rear cab, a stocked fridge w/i reach, and an EZ way to get in/out when necessary. I'm curious about the inside build and if the bed can be stowed out of the way to make room for 2 people.
__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #294
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,018
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
@Rally.panam

Any thoughts or need to add additional insulation or heat? Would there be room?

As a bare bones steel tent that's a nice concept.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #295
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,524
Thumbs up

Thumbs up.............
__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #296
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Now THAT, my friend, is a true CAMPING vehicle. I loved my Toyota 4WD. Had I seen something like this when I gave it up, well...

Im a big fan of simple. I sometimes feel like were in a race to make things better - and more complicated - all the time. I like that your new rig swings the pendulum toward simple. A marriage of technology and simplicity is a beautiful thing. Good luck!
.
Simple was the goal... one of the reasons I chose the Tundra, it's pretty basic, same platform has been around for a dozen years, it's bulletproof.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #297
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
@Rally.panam

Any thoughts or need to add additional insulation or heat? Would there be room?

As a bare bones steel tent that's a nice concept.
It has 1" foam insulation built in, and there is an optional insulating liner for the soft walls.. I have one on the way, but they're back ordered from the subcontractor.

And it's all aluminum.. only steel is the hardware.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #298
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Thanks Robb. Your Toyota, is it their largest 4x4 model? I'm bouncing between pickup brands. For the conversion, I'd like something that is somewhat similar to my van in a more compact design. It would be nice to have something I could comfortably kick back in that has a heated rear cab, a stocked fridge w/i reach, and an EZ way to get in/out when necessary. I'm curious about the inside build and if the bed can be stowed out of the way to make room for 2 people.
Largest bed, 6.5 feet. They make a 8' bed, but I believe it's only on single cab 2WD. Easy enough to throw a heater in here, I may do a cheap Chinese heater at some point, but trying to keep it simple. Definitely room for 2 to hang out. National Luna Legacy 60 dual zone on order, should have it in a week or so. That should be sufficient for cold beer. And ice for mixed drinks if so inclined.

The only 'issue' is getting in and out.. if you want to close the doors, you need to pull the tailgate up after you, and then pull down the topper door. It's fine, but not as easy as van side doors. I've got a magnetic bug screen going in one of these days, and unless it's cold will just leave the doors open.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #299
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 8,674
Nice photographs there Robb. My Super Pacific should be done in a couple months and then we can compete for social status on van sites. It only makes sense.

I ordered a Chinese diesel furnace for mine the other day.

Yes, Dave, Tundra is the biggest Toyota. Super roomy inside.

__________________

__________________
Currently vanless. Weird.

Real name Eric
Finally found a pic of my first camper,
a 1986 Serro Scotty
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×