Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #21

Re: My Gawd....

Just realized you have a GMT 900 which has MUCH better brakes. But.... Awesome wife!!!

Hope you find one you both like. The new interior is pretty nice, and it's super quiet. Puts the ram 5500 to shame in both departments. It actually puts out a little less power than your current rig though. Ford (and Ram) detune the cab-chassis trucks to achieve a longer life cycle.

And trust me, once you setup up to the heavier chassis you'll wish you did it sooner. It really makes a difference!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Site Team

Interesting read about an F550/camper build. I really like the truck bed build too.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camp ... ping-beast

Herb
Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #23

Herb, I love service bodies, but it really wouldn't work for us. We really need a flatbed for hauling hay (damn horses). That was the next step for the Chev. Also, if I ever get around to building my own camper, I want a full 96" (or perhaps 102") wide body camper with full basement access on the sides (for skis, kiteboards, snowboards, etc). If only using the truck for an off the shelf truck camper, a service body would be the smart move.

This really messes up my plan. I was going to give my Corolla to Kid#1 next year when she turns 16. Then, I was going to get myself a nice little FJ for my daily driver (7 years of suffering the indignantly that is driving a Corolla when in your 40's warrants a little 4x4 upgrade). Guess I'll have to finish up my '78 Bug vert resto and drive that instead.

Plus another sucky thing about going to a F550 is I've got the Chev right where I want it (complete Cognito Plantinum front end, custom valved Bilsteins, bags, 62 gal tank, EFI Live, 4" stainless exhaust, and a host of other little tweaks). All that $ and work. I need to think about this more.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #24

Herbster, this is what you need right here. Check out the storage available on this bad boy: http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com...F550-113018620
Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #25

You could just sleeve the frame on your Chev. Any tow truck body builder will be experienced with that, and probably other frame shops too. I had our local frame shop quote me for a 48" frame stretch with sleeves on a Freightliner Columbia, and that would have been $4,000 if I took care of the driveline, air lines and electrical.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #26

That's true. Tried to find some specific info on that a while but, but none was forthcoming for my Chev. Found lots for Dodge and Ford (of course, those truck are upfitted a lot more). I think I'm going to go look at some F550s tomorrow. I really fell in love with the F550 chassis platform on our former RV.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #27

carringb, you muthur..... Probably placing my F550 order today...because of you! I've been shopping for weeks on end, trying to decide between a Ram 5500 and F550. In a nutshell, both are evenly matched. I think the Ford is just a little nicer and more stout (and I think the ordering time frame is a bit shorter). The 6.7 has been doing well for four years now, so I think it's safe to come back to Ford. If Chev would just make a 5500 Dmax/Alison with a pickup sized cab, it would have been a no-brainer for me. Now I have to sell my beloved, and heavily upgraded, Silverado Dmax. The Craigslist looky-loos are already emailing.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
carringb, you muthur..... Probably placing my F550 order today...because of you! I've been shopping for weeks on end, trying to decide between a Ram 5500 and F550. In a nutshell, both are evenly matched. I think the Ford is just a little nicer and more stout (and I think the ordering time frame is a bit shorter). The 6.7 has been doing well for four years now, so I think it's safe to come back to Ford. If Chev would just make a 5500 Dmax/Alison with a pickup sized cab, it would have been a no-brainer for me. Now I have to sell my beloved, and heavily upgraded, Silverado Dmax. The Craigslist looky-loos are already emailing.
I think you made the correct choice, based on the December issue of Consumer Reports. That issue has an auto reliability section, based on reader's reports of problems with their vehicles. In the heavy-duty pickups section the Ford diesels are at the top of the list, far above GM and Ram. Ram is WAY down, at the absolute bottom of the list, and I'm really curious as to what problems the owners were having.
That being said, just looking under the hood of a new Ford diesel scares me to death! I'm going to take most excellent care of my '04 Dodge/Cummins and hopefully it will last me the rest of my life!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #29

Did not place my order. Ford is having issues getting axles from Dana AND the cab chassis models did not get the 6.7 Gen II updates. Those updates are needed. Don't suppose you have a link to that CR report?? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Did not place my order. Ford is having issues getting axles from Dana AND the cab chassis models did not get the 6.7 Gen II updates. Those updates are needed. Don't suppose you have a link to that CR report?? Thanks.
No link. No details. Just multiple charts for all classes of vehicles compiled from owner's input. Apparently no owners of GM 2500/3500 trucks chimed in.

[photo][/photo]