Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #21

Re: My new van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Thanks. I found one from a random blog thru Google. I'll post the link here for future people looking. $252 after shipping. Fits 1996-2006 Ford econolines. I have e-250 cargo. Made for passenger and driver, same price for each. 360 degree swivel. Shipping takes about 1 week! Not bad. Here's the link.
http://shop4seats.com/van-seats/van-...-oem-seat.html

I order 1 for now for the passenger and will decide later if I need one for the driver.
Thanks for passing that link on. Looks like a good way to NOT buy one from Discount Van Truck, who has arguably the worst customer service of any company ever. Ask around. I'm not wrong. Next time I need one I will pay more to deal with someone who gives a S***, unlike Discount Van Truck. The only reason this guy is in business is because no one has decided to drive him out yet. It would be pretty easy to do IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #22

We have swivels on both passenger and driver seats. In three years of owning the van, I have never used the driver swivel.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Thanks. I found one from a random blog thru Google. I'll post the link here for future people looking. $252 after shipping. Fits 1996-2006 Ford econolines. I have e-250 cargo. Made for passenger and driver, same price for each. 360 degree swivel. Shipping takes about 1 week! Not bad. Here's the link.
http://shop4seats.com/van-seats/van-...-oem-seat.html

I order 1 for now for the passenger and will decide later if I need one for the driver.
Same part number listed as the discount van link as well.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #24
Bee

Welp. I should let you all know that after ordering the swiveler on the 10th, it's says it will be shipped on the 25th. Meaning, I won't get a tracking number until about that date, when it is shipped. So I guess I have to wait... They said it has to be manufactured first. No wonder it takes so long to build a van. Most of the time is spent waiting.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
We have swivels on both passenger and driver seats. In three years of owning the van, I have never used the driver swivel.
I never swiveled the driver's seat to use the seat for sitting in (whereas I sat in the swivelled passenger seat often), but I did swivel the driver's seat often - when camped for more than just an overnight. Reason is, it really opened up the space visually, and eliminated that "camping in the back of a bus" feel when you are behind a seat back (not that there is anything wrong with a bus, but I mean, just that feel of "being in a back row behind a tall seat back" was totally eliminated and the place felt so much bigger as a result.

I'd be too lazy to do it for short/overnights though - plus like to be ready to ramble quickly if just camping on the road to somewhere.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #26

I've been working on a sleeping platform over the last couple of days and this is what I came up with. I wanted something that was easy to manage and store since my van is used for daily driving duties most of the time and camping duties just a small fraction of the time.

I'm definitely not an engineer, carpenter, designer, or anything of the type, but I like to tinker and try. My thought was that if I built something that was somewhat modular in design, I could store it up in my rafters easily and it wouldn't be too cumbersome to retrieve or put away. So I thought a 2 piece frame that bolted together with (4) 1/2" bolts with slats on top would be the best way to go about it.

I built the frame out of 2x4's and made each section to be 24"x74" finished. I then got some 1x4's and cut them to 26.5" and used some 3/4" x 1" strips I found at home depot to connect them all. I made each section of the slats about 35" long so they were easy to take out and store as well.

For the legs, I cut some 2x4's to 21.5" so I could clear 18" under the platform for storage. Those are mounted in each corner with a 1/2" bolt.

So I got it made...looked at it...looked good...laid on it...it sagged in the middle and almost came apart. I could put some support legs in the middle, but I think it would become a little too cumbersome to keep bolting more things onto this platform. So I think the solution is to just build it as a one piece 48x74 frame instead of the two piece frame. I'll still bolt the legs on and keep my removable slats though. Oh yeah...I forgot I had a hoist in my garage! I got the 1x1 tubing welded up to be able to take a camper shell off of a truck by myself. No longer have that truck, but I still have the hoist so I can just tie the platform onto that tubing and keep it up there.

I'm thinking for the new frame, I will run a 2x4 in the middle going through both directions, essentially making a cross. Does that sound right or would just one brace be enough?

Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #27

I think you could use what you have if instead of bolting the two pieces together in the middle, you bolted on two additional 2x4s on either end, providing solid structure between the two pieces.

Or just do it in one piece.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
I think you could use what you have if instead of bolting the two pieces together in the middle, you bolted on two additional 2x4s on either end, providing solid structure between the two pieces.

Or just do it in one piece.
I would re-use all of the lumber there to make the one piece frame. Just unscrew the joints and cut some new pieces.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #29

I decided to pull the trigger on a Camburg lift for my van. I ordered it on 5/4/15 and was told it would take a few weeks to get the parts made/ordered. I finally got an email back after 5 weeks that everything was ready to go and scheduled the van to be dropped off at their facility on Monday, 6/29/15. They wanted the van until Friday which worked out for me since I was heading to San Diego this weekend and picked it up on the way. They left the front valance to be trimmed which I did when I got back home on Sunday night. Only took about a minute with the sawzall.

For wheels and tires, I went with 16x8 pro comp 7069 flat black wheels and 285/75/16 Cooper AT3 tires. The tires don't make much noise at all and get good reviews online and by a few people that run them on this forum.

Only thing I would change about the kit is they put Fox shocks as an upgrade for the fronts only. Bilsteins are the included shocks and if you upgrade the fronts to the Fox shocks, you still get Bilstein rears. It would be nice to have all 4 be Fox.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I have yet to try out the performance aspect of it, but I'm sure it will be good as well.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #30

Looks great!

If you don't mind me asking, what do they get for one of them kits?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote