Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #31

Re: My new van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Looks great!

If you don't mind me asking, what do they get for one of them kits?
Thanks! The kit is $3,195 installed and includes tax. If you want the upgraded shocks, it's an additional $250.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #32

Looks great Jin! Let us know what you think after you've put some miles on it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #33

Took the van up to Big Sur this weekend for 3 nights of camping. Van drove great along Hwy 1 with all the twisties and switchbacks. I think the turning radius is better with the new setup and the ride is comfy. I put on the megawarrior rack on top and installed a 12v outlet in the rear of the van to help with phone charging at night. Didn't see any SMB's up there this weekend.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #34

My van has the aux battery installed and I wired a small fuse block in the rear where the jack is housed. My intention was to wire in some interior lights that I could use when camping and also install some 12v ports for phone charging and a fridge.

I used an 8ga amp wiring kit I bought on Amazon to run from the battery to the fuse block. There is an inline fuse between the two as well. I installed the fuse block several months ago but didn't install any ports or lights until now. I installed a port in the rear panel near the block which is easy to get to when the sleeping platform is in the van. My plan is to install another one on the other side so my wife and I can both have a charging port.

I bought a roof rack and some lights from members on the forum but never installed them until now. I originally thought I would install the lights on either side of the trailer hitch to use for more visibility for backing up. After I installed the roof rack, I thought mounting them up high would be better since I could use it for extra light for camping as well. My only issue with mounting them up high was the wiring which was quickly resolved by looking through some threads here on the forum. I saw Jage ran his backup camera wiring through the third brake light, so I used his idea. I drilled a hole for the wiring and used some clear silicone to seal up both ends.

The wiring is ran through the brake light, across the passenger side, then down the pillar. I installed a rocker switch on the rear door panel just above the door lock switch. The wiring then goes through the loom from the door to the body and to the fuse panel. No relay as these lights should not be drawing much power and shouldn't be on for long periods of time. I think I will also wire in a switch near the cockpit so I can turn it on from the driver's seat if I need it for backing up or something.

Finished product.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #35

Picked up a 2007 Coleman/Fleetwood E1 trailer this week. I've always wanted a tent trailer (I really don't know why), and we're taking it out this weekend with my wife's family. We'll find out if trailer camping is for us. It should be nice to have all the seats in the van so we can use it to haul people around and use the trailer as home base.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 AM   #36

The trailer looks well matched to the van! My sister & bro-in law have an E2 and love it. There are definitely times where we are envious at how quick they can pick up their tow vehicle and be on the road for a day trip. When you extend camp out your van, it takes a little more effort to quickly be on the move, no doubt.

Looking forward to your experience!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #37

Looks good Jin.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #38

I picked up some 2014 seats that mgmetalworks was selling. I think they were the stock seats from the Optima Battery van that he helped build. My seats had a seam coming apart and instead of getting it repaired, I figured I would pick these up and see how I like them.

The install went pretty smooth and the only thing that needed to be modified was the power plug for the power seat on the drivers side. The plugs were different, but all it was is a 12v and ground, so I just spliced in the harness on the van side and used some female ends to plug into the harness on the seats. If I can find a newer van in a junk yard somewhere, I'll probably just cut off the van side harness or something and splice it in. Other than that, it went in pretty smooth.

The newer seats are a little taller due to the built in head rest. I also noticed that they do not have a map holder pocket in the back. The fabric of the newer seats is like a canvas which I like more than the felt like fabric on my 2005 seats. They seem more durable. Anyways, just thought I'd post up since it's something new on the van!

Driver's seat installed:

Height difference:

Complete:
Old 11-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #39

Nice. I have been thinking about putting some in from a newer van also. Seems like the new ones are a little more comfortable than the original ones.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #40

Did you have any issues with tire clearance? I've been thinking about mounting 285-75-16 on the stock steel rims. I have the same Camburg lift.
hbmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote