Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Sweet! Looks great, and that temp gauge you've got on there is new to me. It isn't on mine but the comp is pulling it from a sensor somewhere as I can get it to read on my Edge CTS.

If you get a chance, do you mind posting a measurement from the top of your wheel arch to the ground? I'm curious to see how much higher you are than mine.

Pretty sure he has Quigley lifted IFS, which basically adds 3in to stock IFS 4x4.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #22
GAR

Now these 16x8 American Racing wheels look good...

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:28 AM   #23
GAR

Someone once said... "Four Wheel Drive only gets you more stuck."

But having a set of "Maxtraax" traction devices will get ya unstuck! And when its a race against the tide coming in, it will also provide a great workout!

Took us four hours traveling three feet at a time and digging a lot of sand, but we got out. The trick to using these in deep sand is to not drive further than the device once ya feel the tires digging in. At one point we had to travel up a sand bar to get back to solid ground, and we were burried up to the frame rails! But we got out.

MaxTraax, expensive? Yes, very. Worth it? -Every cent! I will never travel without them.

Gar

Humboldt Bay beach (Pacific Ocean side):

Back on solid ground...

Shelter Cove:
Old 09-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #24

Sweet express,here's my 2004 2x4, just wondering what tire pressure you had in sand? It's a pain to fill up when done wheelin but the most important thing for sand wheelin is to "air down" wider footprint/less sinking even with stock wheels/tires,thx
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6886.jpg  
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #25

When we are out at glamis or dumont dunes my buddies in their diesel dodge trucks just drag my van/trailer out to remote camping since I have 24" wheels/low pro tires cant really air down
Old 09-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #26
GAR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Sweet express,here's my 2004 2x4, just wondering what tire pressure you had in sand? It's a pain to fill up when done wheelin but the most important thing for sand wheelin is to "air down" wider footprint/less sinking even with stock wheels/tires,thx
Good advice brother, and nice rig yourself! Was not sure how stock tires and rims would perform aired down; there were no tire shops open (late Sunday on a Labor Day weekend), so I chose not to air down. -Did not want to break the bead, and or spin the tire against the rim and lose the static balance.

I own a rock crawling Jeep Cherokee currently, and have been four wheeling 35 years in various types of rigs, but this is my first 4x4 van, and first time in the sand with "stock tires/ rims" and no spare. It was bad judgement on my part going out in that sand, but it was a great workout digging in the sand.

-Next time I'll be better prepared.

Gar
Old 09-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #27

I hear you ! I only speak from experience as well after getting stuck and hassled by my buddies for having having 24" wheels/low pro tires but I have surprised em a few times making it to some camp spots with my aluminum trailer just takes a little longer than just bouncing over e-thing
Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #28
GAR

Trinity Alpes

Camped next to the Trinity River last weekend. Was beautiful, till I found out this river is polluted from the run-off from illegal 'trespass marijuana grows."

Mexican Drug Cartel growers use chemical pesticides such as carborfuran, which is outlawed in the USA, to keep the deer, bears, and other animals and rodents from eating their pot plants. One eighth of a teaspoon of carborfuran is enough to kill a large bear. The water they use to water their plants washes this and other highly toxic chemicals into the river. Its no longer enough to use a water filter to drink river water in these parts of California, but now one must invest in and use a water purifier. Not to mention what might happen to ya if you came upon one of these grows while hiking with your family. According to the local sheriff, some of these grows are guarded with traps, and armed men.

Quote:
"Growers use fertilizers and pesticides long restricted or banned in the United States, including carbofuran and zinc phosphide. In previous years, it was commonly sold fertilizers and pesticides that were used illegally, law enforcement officials said." -News article
I almost feel sorry for the idiots that smoke pot, they are literally poisoning themselves if they are smoking pot harvested from these illegal grows. To put it in perspective, the "illegal" pot industry in America is a six billion dollar industry and growing, and 90% of the illegal pot sold in America is now coming from California illegal grows, with estimates that 60-70% of it is tainted with highly toxic chemicals.

Just this summer in Trinity county, CA:
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/ju...d-trespass-gr/

If ya think smoking pot does not hurt anyone, read this and think again:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1AM0C3

Old 12-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #29

Well said. Know your grower is my motto. We have cartel grow spots in Colorado as well. They hide in the national forests.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
A bit late to this thread GAR but my, oh my that is a nice looking Express!

I'm slightly familiar with Quigley's set-up for the E-Series Ford, how they utilize a lot of F-Series drive train. How or what do they use for the GM vans?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote