Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #11

Garage
Re: New guy's wheelchair van

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandjanice
Your van looks great! We want a minimalist approach to our interior, no cabinets, but a big, comfy bed in the back like yours.
I was wondering if you could give details on your rear bench/bed like what brand and model it is and where it was installed?

Thanks so much
I can try to find out. It was part of the wheelchair conversion. The van was origionaly a cargo van and they did the entire interior. The conversion was done by Shoppers Home Health in Edmonton, Alberta. They supplied the seat. You could check with and dealer in your area that does wheelchair conversions as they can get the same thing. I will let youy know earily next week.

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvest
I've never seen a lift like that. What brand is it? and, no raised roof. Do you have problems with headroom when in your chair?
The lift is a swing lift. It was made by a company in Edmonton but they have since stoped making them. It was getting to complitacted in passing all the safety requirements. It is a great lift though. It only needs 3' of space beside the van to get in or out. I can use a regular parking spot if I need to. I had it lengthend 5" to accomidate the 4wd and tires. I can get any parts that I need to fix it from any auto parts store. It uses a 1/2 HP electric motor and worm drive to raise and lower the platform and a small accuator to swing it in and out. It's pretty slick!

You are correct about no raised roof but it has a 6" lowered floor. It has 56" of headroom and I sit at about 55" in my chair. To give me a little more head room in the drivers spot they removed a portion of the headliner (adds about 1-1/2" space).
VA7DTP
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Quote:
I've never seen a lift like that. What brand is it? and, no raised roof. Do you have problems with headroom when in your chair?[/

You are correct about no raised roof but it has a 6" lowered floor. It has 56" of headroom and I sit at about 55" in my chair. To give me a little more head room in the drivers spot they removed a portion of the headliner (adds about 1-1/2" space).
Was the 6" drop floor done when the conversion was done? I've always wondered how much is involved in that job. An extra 6" is huge when you don't have a raised top.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #14

That sounds like a great lift. Too bad they don't make them anymore. So the lowered floor didn't cause any issues when doing the 4x4 conversion?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Was the 6" drop floor done when the conversion was done? I've always wondered how much is involved in that job. An extra 6" is huge when you don't have a raised top.
Yes, the 6" drop was done with my wheelchair conversion. the whole process took about 3 months. Basicly they put a 2" body lift on the van and that combined with the space between the stock floor and the frame equals 6". Here are some picts of the process. Also if you look at my gallery under 6" drop floor you can see the whole process.

Starting

Floor removed, Look Drive Shaft!

New floor bracing

Bracing done

Finished floor. You can see the amount of drop by the doghouse.

A view from the back
VA7DTP
Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #16

Very Impressive! I drive an accessible e-series too. I'd like to see more about your lift.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #17

Garage

Quote:
That sounds like a great lift. Too bad they don't make them anymore. So the lowered floor didn't cause any issues when doing the 4x4 conversion?
The only issue I had was getting the 4X4 shifter in a place that would not interfear with my wheelchair. I found a company in BC called NorthWest fabworks and they make cable shifters for several different transfer cases. I had a single leaver shifter with a 3' cable ordered and installed on the raised part infront of the doghouse. They even lengthened the handle so I could reach it easier. The extra length also helps shifting the transfer case with theadded leverage. They make a great product that can be used with pretty much any TC with somem modification. They specificly make shifters for Dana 300, NP205, NP203/205, NP203/Dana300, Stak and Atlas TC's.

Here is the link to their shifter page. http://northwestfab.3dcartstores.com...ters_c_69.html

Now a few picts
The finished product

The transfer case connection

The underside of the shifter.
VA7DTP
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #18

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
Very Impressive! I drive an accessible e-series too. I'd like to see more about your lift.
There are more pictures in my gallery under "Wheelchair Lift"
VA7DTP
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #19

Nice set up! Welcome!

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #20

Man, I wish I had that drop floor done when I did my conversion! It looks like it would be a major deal to retro-fit. I like your shifter too. Mine is always in the way when I transfer to the driver's seat. I've seen some mods where they cut the shifter and thread it, so you can take it off when not in use. But your solution seems more elegant

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote