Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #31

Re: Oakland/Bigfoot 20' Class C 4x4

That's beautiful! And you have a lot of vans. I'm really wondering why they didn't put a longer awning on it to cover the door though. Are you planning to convert this one to 4x4?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #32

Oh my, do I love that rig! Sell it to Meeeeeeee, please!

86Scotty: I'm not sure about the "why" of the awning length, but I have noticed the exact same phenomenon on a 23' Lazy Daze. I wondered if it might have something to do with the door then hitting the awning support arm when the awning legs are attached to the vehicle (instead of swinging on around flat to use the door catch on the vehicle side, which you can see just under the cabover window). Also, there would be no place to mount the lower end of said awning arm on the wall, without moving the door back. Not that those things couldn't be worked around (and it sure would be nice to have the awning cover the entryway), but you can see where this way would have solved a few problems for them "easily" at the builder.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #33

Damn! That thing is mint.

You must have found the only 2 in the country or my Google skills are lacking b/c I think I came across 1 30/31 ft model anywhere. Congrats on the purchase.

PS You definitely don't need both so since we are in the market, I think we should chat!
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #34

gnty: Your photos are quite interesting........Can you enlighten us on your photo techniques?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #35

Viva and E277: I certainly have no problem chatting about the idea of selling one of them as i know i'm not running a museum and it can't sit in the warehouse forever. It hasn't moved since doing a $1200 polish job. Your exactly right, we do know that only a hand full were made, whether its 3 or 5,8 no-one knows, but what i do know is that only 3 have surfaced, 2 are branded Oaklands and only 1 branded Bigfoot. All 3 are here in Alberta. So if anyone is particular about wanting one of these like i was, then choices are extremely limited.
There are pros and cons about both of them and its made it very difficult for me to decide on which one i'd like to keep.

E277: As for other units it considered. Depending one what your requirements are leads you in the direction of the right unit. Two of my requirements that really thin'd out the crowd was i wanted a TRUE 4 season and overhead bed. I've always loved the chinooks but for a growing family it didn't have really anymore sleeping arrangements than my SMB. Bornfree was very high on my list until i called and talked with them, although very well built they did not have heated storage tanks. If i did not want or need a 4 season, Bornfree would have been a great choice. So it came down to Triple E and Bigfoot/Oakland.

Boywonder: There's really no major secret, usually my pictures don't turn out great so i have to do some editing. I do have photoshop where i do some editing but also Topaz Labs has been a really good tool to help fix some issues with my shots.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #36

Wow, another sweet find!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #37

I was wondering how you got the 2nd one cleaned up so well. 1200 bucks explains it. Would your 4x4 model clean up that nice with polish or was the second one in better shape?

Also, they appear to be the same base unit meaning if they only made a hand full of them, other than your 4x4 conversion, aren't they identical in every other way? Do you have any interior shots of the new one?

PS I can't get over that detail job! I am quite ocd regarding appearance and it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Nice job.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by E277
I was wondering how you got the 2nd one cleaned up so well. 1200 bucks explains it. Would your 4x4 model clean up that nice with polish or was the second one in better shape?

Also, they appear to be the same base unit meaning if they only made a hand full of them, other than your 4x4 conversion, aren't they identical in every other way? Do you have any interior shots of the new one?

PS I can't get over that detail job! I am quite ocd regarding appearance and it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Nice job.
PM Sent
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #39

Not to suggest a different forum but the fiberglassrv forum has tons of info on restoring fiberglass. Almost exclusively towables and truck camper owners there though. We used Meguiars on our Bigfoot 25RQ and it brought back that wonderful shine, was a lot of work over a couple weekends.

-John
Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #40

They tend to prefer one have a molded fiberglass RV though (vs. panelized construction). Bigfoot does (did? not sure whether or not they are in business now) make a number of molded units, but the Oakland looks mostly panelized to me. Which isn't to say it can't be a great resource, but just that they are fairly firm about the "molded" part.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote