Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #1

Our Sportsmobile Envy Saga - with a Great Ending/Beginning!

Our Sportsmobile saga:

Evidence of my first interest in Sportsmobiles is the information packet I requested, and still have, which is postmarked April 1995. A couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to find the Sportsmobile Forum which I eagerly searched since I had an early diesel van that I was hoping to make into a homebuilt Sportsmobile. Now for the amazing part – recently, a friend of mine who had previously declared that he would never sell his 1990 Ford Sportsmobile asked if I was still interested. The obvious answer was YES, and it is now in our driveway in San Diego.

It’s an E-250, with a 351 V-8, converted to 4X4, and a penthouse-top on what looks like a RB-30 floor plan with only 35,000 miles. Interestingly, it still had the original tire cover with the Sportsmobile logo that referred to San Diego since it was built in San Diego shortly before Sportsmobile moved production to Fresno. Because of the low mileage, it is in good shape; however, lack of use also takes its toll, so I’ve spent the last several months happily sorting out little issues like replacing what appears to be a 19-year-old spare tire, an intermittent fuel pump, loose fittings, cosmetic issues and getting run time on the generator in the hope that use will smooth out the idle…

I’d like to thank everyone for the information and encouragement that your website has given. It seems that good vehicles draw good people.

VintageSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Our Sportsmobile Envy Saga - with a Great Ending/Beginning!

Congrats, and welcome.

Now, show it off....
Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Congrats. Enjoy.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #4

Excellent news and congrats. I've got a friend with an E-250 4x4 conversion and the 351ci V-8 motor. He drives the heck out of that thing and has been very happy with many years of reliable use. It also does a pretty good job of towing his 18ft toybox.
R
Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Very cool. A 1990 with 35K. Glad you're stoked up about it. It's always great to find a vehicle you actually know about. I would really like to see some pictures of it when you're ready. Have fun with it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the words of congratulations and welcome!

The reality of having a SMB is beginning to set in now that I'm to the stage where I'm begining to think of where we'll use it, instead of what I should work on next. I don't think I'll really believe I have one of these until we are out somewhere using it.

Next stage will be a few local overnight trips to iron out the bugs and see what we need to stock for tools and supplies. It seems that space is the first consideration. I'll work on getting a few pictures, but there may be a little delay as I've never posted pics on a website before.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #7

EMrider,

It's great news to hear how well your friend's SMB works with a 351, since I would like to occasionally tow my Jeep but I did not think I would have enough power. Do you know what year SMB your friend has, and whether or not he has made any performance mods to the engine or trans?

Thanks, John
Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSMB
EMrider,

It's great news to hear how well your friend's SMB works with a 351, since I would like to occasionally tow my Jeep but I did not think I would have enough power. Do you know what year SMB your friend has, and whether or not he has made any performance mods to the engine or trans?

Thanks, John
Don't know the year but I'd guess it is somewhere around 1998-2000. The van was converted to 4x4 by salem kroger. I'm almost certain the motor is stock.

Good luck.
R
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #9

Thanks EMrider - that's encouraging!