Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #1

Garage
Post Up Pics of Your Classic Camping Stuff

I’m cleaning out my garage to make room for more tools In the process, I found a bunch of my old (ahem, classic) camping stuff and thought it would be fun to see whatcha got.

I’ll start. First up is my Svea 123 backpacking stove. After not using it for 25 years, I filled the tank with white gas and it started right up! That’s one dependable machine! Here’s a video I took of it. Any of you who had/have this stove will recognize its signature jet-engine sound:

https://youtu.be/z3kmQz5WDIc

Next, I unearthed the old Svea windscreen. Man, that thing worked great! But get a load of what I paid for it! I swear I wasn’t born in 1916! No, that store, “Herman’s” was a place in NY where you could find just about anything for camping, at the best prices anywhere. Apparently, it closed up shop in 1996:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman...Sporting_Goods

I’m keeping both of these in my van supplies bin for that moment when I feel the need to reminisce with some freeze-dried dinner. You know, when Mt. Hood blows its top and I’m bugging out to Eastern Oregon.

So, whatchu got?

Old 02-09-2020, 12:17 AM   #2

I still have a down sleeping bag bought circa 1983 at a Herman’s in Philadelphia, where I also bought my first Jansport frame backpack. I also have one of those Svea stoves in my garage somewhere, which took a special knack to preheat and light. Was the inspiration for the MSR XGK stove; I still have and use one of those, too (c. 1986).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #3

I have one too. I remember Dad using it all the time when I was a kid.

Somewhere deep in the archives here I posted a few other neat things I cleaned out of his garage. I'll see if I can find that thread or pics.

I was using his Hillary mummy bags (from Sears) until just last year when I finally bought something made in this century.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

Garage
No pics, but I still use my REI down sleeping bag I bought new in 1977.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #5

Garage
All my camping gear was purchased in the late 80’s early 90’s so nothing classic in our gear lineup, but the wife found this old flashlight in one of the storage units she bought. Not sure of the vintage, but it’s definitely the oldest piece we have.

Oh, and...

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I also have one of those Svea stoves in my garage somewhere, which took a special knack to preheat and light.
Ya, it’s a great magic trick! Once you get used to gas-fueled fireballs, it’s pretty fun, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Somewhere deep in the archives here I posted a few other neat things I cleaned out of his garage. I'll see if I can find that thread or pics. .
Yeah, let’s see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
No pics, but I still use my REI down sleeping bag I bought new in 1977.
That’s longevity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
All my camping gear was purchased in the late 80’s early 90’s so nothing classic in our gear lineup...
Great flashlight! I think late 80’s qualifies as classic. I’ve got something I’m gonna dig out when I get home.

More more more!