Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #621
Site Team

Garage
Depending on which aspen grove you visited in Fish Lake, you may have seen Pando, who's 80,00 year old root system is thought to be the oldest living organism on the planet. According to Wikipedia, "Pando occupies 43 hectares (106 acres) and is estimated to weigh collectively 6,000,000 kilograms (6,600 short tons),[5] making it the heaviest known organism." Unfortunately, it's dying, probably due to a combination of cattle and deer browsing encourage by human desire for the two animals.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #622

Finished a slide show with music of our snowshoeing trip to Michigans Upper Peninsula https://youtu.be/utnL3gqAQ3M

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #623

Garage
rionapo, I had read somewhere that aspen were in trouble. It seems few people want the predators needed to keep the browsers in check.

We love New Mexico, by the way.

LenS, I'll watch that video as soon as leave this forum.
wanderers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #624

Your video inspired me to post about our winter trip to Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. We try to do this every year sometime during the months of Januray, February, or March. So far we have been able to each winter.

I don't think I needed to bring the camping chair recliners on the roof rack.
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	32134

My back was acting up so I talked my wife into clearing the firepit!

Name:	snow2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	32135

A hot cup of fresh brewed camp coffee really hit the spot!

Name:	snow3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	32136

We had no need for our cooler!

Name:	snow4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	32137

We were not the only ones out enjoying the warmer winter weather! Usually you have to drive the wildlife loop to see them.

Name:	snow5.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	32138
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #625

[QUOTE=Black95;269086]Your video inspired me to post about our winter trip to Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota. We try to do this every year sometime during the months of Januray, February, or March. So far we have been able to each winter.

Looks like you had a good time. We are planning to see Mt. Rushmore this spring/summer. Last time we were there was about 50 years ago. Got to see if the presidents look any older.

The Green TARDIS
Old 03-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #626

[QUOTE=LenS;269090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black95 View Post
Looks like you had a good time. We are planning to see Mt. Rushmore this spring/summer. Last time we were there was about 50 years ago. Got to see if the presidents look any older.

I have attached a PDF file that I share with any of my science teaching friends and colleagues when they visit the Black Hills. Maybe it will help you plan a trip here.
BlackHills.pdf
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #627

[QUOTE=Black95;269094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post

I have attached a PDF file that I share with any of my science teaching friends and colleagues when they visit the Black Hills. Maybe it will help you plan a trip here.
Attachment 32141

Great. Thanks

The Green TARDIS
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #628

One of my favorite spots somewhere in British Columbia.
Attached Thumbnails
imagejpeg_3(1).jpg  
Craigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #629
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderers View Post
rionapo, I had read somewhere that aspen were in trouble. It seems few people want the predators needed to keep the browsers in check.

We love New Mexico, by the way.
Aspen are dying throughout their range from a variety of causes but principally from fire suppression, which allows conifers to over take aspen forests, and grazing by domestic and wild animals that love shoots and will strip their bark. This is being compounded by warning temperatures that allow pests to survive winters and decreased moisture, which weakens the trees. (The climate change issue is affecting forests in general.) Here’s the Forest Service take on it. Pando is just an extreme example.

Glad you like NM. Don’t tell anybody.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #630

Garage
The North Rim at Grand Canyon NP seems to have had lot of aspen come up where there were some fires a few years ago. They looked pretty healthy there. I hope they can survive and thrive. A mountainside covered in aspen in the fall is an impressive sight. They look nice in the spring when they first begin to leaf out, too.
________
Roger
wanderers is online now   Reply With Quote