Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Garage
Proud new owner SMB 4x4 Pop - Need a little help

Whoa, am I glad I found this thread! So much stoke for all things SMB. Can't wait to start sharing some adventures, looking at mods, figuring out racks and all the other goodies that come along with SMB adventures!

This has been cross-posted, FYI. Thanks in advance!

Greetings SF! I am in need of a little help, insight, advice, info- thanks for your eyes and ears! (PS, I tried posting this on, cough EP but no replies.

My new van did not come with ANY literature or manuals from the previous owner -- I have emailed SMB with the VIN, hoping they can help. Also, I'm looking for a little help in establishing a realistic (I know, vague) market value for my van as I am not familiar with SMB and their older builds... Your time on this thread is appreciated!

Hello everyone. I have spent the better part of the last 5 years with Chevy Astro AWD vans (which I still own, run and love). However, I am excited to announce I have JUST secured what seems to be my ultimate dream van Yes, I know a bit about vans/rigs but admittedly not too much about Sportsmobile, their older builds, new builds etc. I hadn't really considered a Sportsmobile (but of course always drooled and dreamed) as they were too far out of my budget. BUT it seems like all it took was a little time, the right vintage and a few miles to secure just that, a Sportsmobile My wife and border collie can't wait to get this on the road where it belongs!

2000 Chevy Express 3500 w/ 350 Vortec Gas - 155k miles

-Interior condition is fair, cabinetry and window drapes show about 50% wear. All appliances seem to work just fine
-Exterior is in great condition with the minor scuffs here and there. Seems very typical of 155k miles
-Mechanically sound. Only noted code was a mass airflow sensor that is likely being triggered from a broken airbox or simply dirty
-No doubt this van has seen some great adventures and it's ready for more!

Specs:

-4x4 conversion
-Poptop
-Forced air furnace
-Mic
-Fridge
-Secondary A/C and heat system (how do they work!?)
-Sink
-Water holding tank
-Elec water pump
-Cooktop
-Battery (under sink)
-Breaker box
-Converter/charger
-gray water tank for sink
-City water hookup
-RV style exterior plug for shore power
-Two swivel front captains chairs
-Rear single removable jump seat with belt
-Exterior propane tank

The only tagging/branding on this rig for SMB is on the secondary A/C and heat thermostat. My assumption is that it is in fact a SMB build. The 4x4 conversion however I am still trying to track down...

Anybody have an idea of the SMB plan for the 2000 era on this van? Resources for the appliances or even the literature this would have came with from SMB? Even though I do not have ANY plans to sell this van would anybody care to throw out a value with the above specs and pics- mostly so I can tell my wife to relax about the missing money in our account

Any additional thoughts, tricks, tips for this van, motor, chassis, poptop etc would be great!

Much much appreciated- cheers!

LG

-It should be noted that the person I purchased this van from was insistent it go to a home that would carry on a life of adventure, fun and share it with as many people as possible -- and it will my friend
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170215_095500.jpg   IMG_20170215_095512.jpg   IMG_20170215_095806.jpg   IMG_20170215_095817.jpg  

MTADVENTUREVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Do you have specific questions about how to operate different appliances, or accessorys or something specific to the Sportsmobile build? Often times the equipment manufacturer will have manuals or instructions posted on their web sites. Are there unlabled switches or valves your trying to figure out? Anyway, congratulations and enjoy the process of getting to know your new toy.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Do you have specific questions about how to operate different appliances, or accessorys or something specific to the Sportsmobile build? Often times the equipment manufacturer will have manuals or instructions posted on their web sites. Are there unlabled switches or valves your trying to figure out? Anyway, congratulations and enjoy the process of getting to know your new toy.
Too vague, sorry. Again, I have pinged SMB and am hopeful for the build literature on this rig as I have come up empty handed on searching their website.

Namely, my concerns or lack of information come from:

-The electrical system: The external battery is under the sink in a sealed fiberglass tub. Maybe I am seeking information that isn't easily available but it would be nice to have the wiring setup/diagram of this unit to see exactly what and where everything is housed. Again, hopeful SMB can help with this and not expecting the forum to fill this void. Also, there looks to be a (guess) master ON/OFF switch directly behind the driver's head. What does this all control?! Ha- too many questions. Most likely if I strike out with SMB I will bring a friend over that is versed in electrical systems and we will attempt to trace and diagram the what and where of my new van = beers

-The A/C unit that is housed in the rear behind the jump seat: The thermostat states HEAT and also has instructions to turn on the LP before using the HEAT. Now, this rig already has a forced air LP furnace in the rear/drivers side. Could it have two heat sources (three total if you count the cab heat) or is the thermostat label simply redundant? The A/C seems operational and I have found the A/C unit itself (below) the fridge. However, the knob that runs the blower needs attention as it states it has (4) total positions- OFF, LOW, HI, AIR. When I turn the knob it only seems to have OFF, LOW, HI. I will investigate by dismantling the knob assembly and see what's hiding beneath.

-Possible external water tank heater: There is a fan housing/assembly underneath the van positioned directly below the interior water tank. I am curious if in fact this is an exterior heater for the compartment that holds the water tank and if so, when does this heater turn of?

---Down the rabbit hole we go BUT I can't wait!

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Garage
4x4 Solved

The 4x4 conversion was installed in September 2006 by Advanced Four Wheel Drive Systems out of Salt Lake City Utah. Thanks to a member in a different thread for helping with this!

It is comforting knowing that is was installed by professionals. I have read several of the threads relating to AFWDS of Salt Lake and it seems from my uneducated opinion that these guys do great work. I lived in the SLC area for 5 years and have a family member still there. I may pay them a visit next time I am in town with the van and see what they think post 10 years install!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

The switch behind the driver's seat is most likely a remote on/off switch for the aftermaket Starcool AC unit.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

Garage
Congrats and welcome.

I have a 2008 GMC van with a 2011 SMB conversion.

Photos may help people better answer your questions. The fan you mention under the van wouldn't be related to the coach A/C would it?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #7

Proud new owner SMB 4x4 Pop - Need a little help

Most of your questions seem to relate to the coach HVAC system. Do some searches on the forum for Starcool and you'll learn all you want and then some.

The thermostat controls both the Starcool AC (coach AC) and the heater. Either must be turned on individually before the thermostat will activate them. I.e., you have to turn on the Starcool and then adjust the thermostat. The switch behind your head at drivers seat is most likely the on-off switch for the Starcool unit. For Starcool to work, this switch must be on as well as the rotary switch you mention. My rotary switch has off, low, medium and high (going by memory; it might only be two settings - this controls the blower). The blower unit is what is most likely under your frig, if it has an air grille in front of it. The unit under your van (what you think is an external tank heater) is part of the Starcool AC system. There should be two under-van parts to the system: a 12v fan with housing blowing over an evaporator coil, and then separately mounted a 110vac compressor for when the van is plugged in and you are running Starcool on AC.

Again, read up on the Starcool system.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Most of your questions seem to relate to the coach HVAC system. Do some searches on the forum for Starcool and you'll learn all you want and then some.

The thermostat controls both the Starcool AC (coach AC) and the heater. Either must be turned in individually before the thermostat will activate them. I.e., you have to turn on the Starcool and then adjust the thermostat. The switch behind your head at drivers seat is most likely the on-off switch for the Starcool unit. For Starcool to work, this switch must be on as well as the rotary switch you mention. Mine rotary switch has off, low, medium and high (going by members; it might only be two settings - this controls the blower). The blower unit is what is most likely under your frig, if it has an air grille in front of it. The unit under your van (what you think is an external tank heater) is part of the Starcool AC system. There should be two under-van parts to the system: a 12v fan with housing blowing over an evaporator coil, and then separately mounted a 110vac compressor for when the van is plugged in and you are running Starcool on AC.

Again, read up on the Starcool system.
This is all spot on to my knowledge. Oddly enough I've never seen a Sportsmobile with heated tanks. Most likely your fresh water tank is inside somewhere and the tank you see below is a gray/black water holding tank.

Nice Chevy, and welcome

For books and literature I would first try Nancy at SMB North. She's really helpful and will usually pick right up when you call.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

I may have scans of my SMB literature on my computer somewhere. Mine is a 1998 so should be very similar to yours. If I can find them I'll let you know and send them to you.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #10

@mtadventurevan: PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you scans of my 1998 SMB manuals, which should be pretty similar to your 2000 build van.

I also have 1998 SMB brochure and build/option price list if you are interested, as well as some accessory manuals.