Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Encouraging information so far...........it does occur to me how much more or less space do the Sheel-Mann seats require compared to stock E-Series versions?

I have a bulkhead of sorts that has been placed to allow full rearward seat extension with the seat back tilted rearward just enough so I'm slightly reclined, not completely straight up. I'm not sure if there's a measurement or better description of my usual seat position. Naturally the bulkhead prevents the full reclining position and that's not an issue at all.

I wouldn't be using any sort of swivel so that's not a concern.

Appreciate any guesses or suggestions on fitting the Scheel-Mann's in my work van.

TIA

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #22

Will they fit in a 2008 with electric driver seat base. Haven't seen any comments about that yet. Thanks in advance.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
Will they fit in a 2008 with electric driver seat base. Haven't seen any comments about that yet. Thanks in advance.
I'm definitely not the expert here, but I don't see why not. I believe they mention electric seats on their website. Check it outhttp://scheel-mann.com

Contact Toby, the Scheel-Mann USA Rep. He's a great guy and will be happy to answer those questions.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #24

I recently replaced a set of OEM seats in my 2003 E-350 Sportsmobile. Back in the '90's I purchased and installed a set of Bostrom air seats in a F-350 Crewcab Dually that I used for pulling fifth wheels. I loved those seats!!! They were hard as rock but the air suspension and the adjustability made a long road trip a snap! So, to make a long story short, I looked at the Scheel-Mann seats and bases and just couldn't bring myself to dropping that kind of coin. I researched the Bostroms and found the T910 High Backs and bought a pair with arms, etc. for under $1500.00. They come with a flat base and bolt right through the floor. Hook them up to your existing ARB air system and you have got a sweet over the road ride. I'm sure the SM seats excel for off road, etc. but if you are looking for an alternative, give the Bostrom air seats a look-see.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #25

Great choice Wander, glad you're enjoying them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
Awesome seats. The funny thing about really good seats is that they aren't super soft. Firm seats providing correct support are much more comfortable on long trips than really soft seats.
Exactly right. The "RV conversion" seats that are super plushy recliners--they might feel comfy at first, but don't properly support your body for the long haul, so your body has to support itself = body fatigue. Versus the German orthopedic seats (scheel-mann) which are firmer on initial sitting, but they support your body so then your body relaxes over the long haul = it doesn't feel at all like you just drove for 10hrs.

Highly recommended, I'm loving mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
Manual sliders only. You can find the manual seat "bases"(bolt to floor) on ebay for cheap, like $30. Then add ExpoVans E-Series adapters and scheel-mann manual slider, and good to go!
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #26

We got ours last year and LOVE them! I am sure you will too.
Roamoverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #27

Garage
Very encouraging feedback so far. I'll be driving to sw Missouri next week (10 hour drive) and look forward to the opportunity to check them out.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #28

Garage
UPDATE: I just got home from a quick 10 hour trip (each way). I was eager to try the seats out. From the start, I was in hyper attention to every sensation of my back, torso and legs. After about 4 hours, I stopped for my first gas stop. I jumped out, gassed up, climbed back in and hit the highway. After about ten miles I realized I wasn't crippled when I got out. Actually, I wasn't stiff at all. Even driving my wife's RAV4 after 3 hours I have to get the kinks out. Not so with these seats. I drove another 4 hours, I stopped for gas. Same thing, no problems. That's the way to was the entire trip - both directions.

While driving, I had much more room to place my feet and change leg position, so I wasn't putting stress on my knees. The seat must sit farther back, too, because before, I had trouble getting my size 11 shoes between the seat and the engine cover to get in the back of the van. Not so with the Scheel-Mann.

If you want to read an excellent report on the seat, check out Chris Cordes's blog on the Expedition Overland site HERE. Chris has the same seat as me, the Vario F XXL.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
UPDATE: I just got home from a quick 10 hour trip (each way). I was eager to try the seats out. From the start, I was in hyper attention to every sensation of my back, torso and legs. After about 4 hours, I stopped for my first gas stop. I jumped out, gassed up, climbed back in and hit the highway. After about ten miles I realized I wasn't crippled when I got out. Actually, I wasn't stiff at all. Even driving my wife's RAV4 after 3 hours I have to get the kinks out. Not so with these seats. I drove another 4 hours, I stopped for gas. Same thing, no problems. That's the way to was the entire trip - both directions.

While driving, I had much more room to place my feet and change leg position, so I wasn't putting stress on my knees. The seat must sit farther back, too, because before, I had trouble getting my size 11 shoes between the seat and the engine cover to get in the back of the van. Not so with the Scheel-Mann.

If you want to read an excellent report on the seat, check out Chris Cordes's blog on the Expedition Overland site HERE. Chris has the same seat as me, the Vario F XXL.
Awesome!!!!!!! So glad to hear your experience mirrors all of ours as well. Enjoy!!
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
UPDATE: I just got home from a quick 10 hour trip (each way). I was eager to try the seats out. From the start, I was in hyper attention to every sensation of my back, torso and legs.

If you want to read an excellent report on the seat, check out Chris Cordes's blog on the Expedition Overland site.
Great write up and sharing your experience on that first shake down run, no pun intended. Glad the Scheel-Mann seats are working so well for you Wander!

I'm growing closer to buying/installing the Scheel-Mann but definitely want to see & feel them for myself first.

In the linked article its mentioned visiting one of the expo's where Sheel-Mann will be exhibiting but with so many events canceled or re-scheduled what's up coming here back east in/near the midwest general where we'd be able to test sit them?

BTW as I familiarize myself with their offerings I see the Vario F would be absolutely ideal if it included (or had available the Traveler LR feature---perfect.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote