Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I thought the same but when I sat in them the regular just felt better.
Interesting. Having a good sit in them does help the choice. Just want to make sure your head isn't above the headrest.

2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #72

I finally saved up enough of my allowance that I can purchase a set of Scheel-Mann seats. I know it's personal preference, but I'm very interested to hear more about why Vandiesel chose the non-XXL? I know you said they just felt better, but could you explain further?

After all my forum reading, review reading and talking to those that have them, I was sure the Vario XXL was the seat for me. I'm still a little unsure about the F vs the R though.

Although I've tried (unsuccessfully) to find a way, I have never actually gotten to sit in a Scheel-Mann seat. I was told locally that I would have to order the seats before I cold sit in them. Then if I didn't like them, I'd have to pay a re-stocking fee and order a different seat.

I'm 63 years old, 6'-5" tall, 220 lbs, and have for many years now had issues with my lower back and pain running down my left leg on drives of more than just a couple of hours.

I currently have the Sienna seats with arm rests. They are good, but it seems like they don't come close to the Scheel-Manns.

As many have noted here, being able to get in the van and drive for more than a couple of hours without pain would be well worth the investment for me.

I'm going to contact Toby and see what he thinks...
Old 07-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I finally saved up enough of my allowance that I can purchase a set of Scheel-Mann seats. I know it's personal preference, but I'm very interested to hear more about why Vandiesel chose the non-XXL? I know you said they just felt better, but could you explain further?

After all my forum reading, review reading and talking to those that have them, I was sure the Vario XXL was the seat for me. I'm still a little unsure about the F vs the R though.

Although I've tried (unsuccessfully) to find a way, I have never actually gotten to sit in a Scheel-Mann seat. I was told locally that I would have to order the seats before I cold sit in them. Then if I didn't like them, I'd have to pay a re-stocking fee and order a different seat.

I'm 63 years old, 6'-5" tall, 220 lbs, and have for many years now had issues with my lower back and pain running down my left leg on drives of more than just a couple of hours.

I currently have the Sienna seats with arm rests. They are good, but it seems like they don't come close to the Scheel-Manns.

As many have noted here, being able to get in the van and drive for more than a couple of hours without pain would be well worth the investment for me.

Glen, will you be selling your existing Sienna bases by chance?
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #74

Garage
Quote:

Glenn, I, like you, have had back issues for years. I had disc surgery at 24. My sienna seats are amazing but after 4-6 hours of driving I have real hip spasm issues that take 3-4 days of recovery after each trip. I thought I would 100% be getting the vario xxl when I went in to see Toby. I sat for a long time in the xxl and when I went in and honestly it almost felt too tall. I’m proportionate and have a 34” inseam. The back portion was perfect on all the seats and the xxl felt a bit stretched honestly. I wanted that to be the one I have to admit. The fact is the regular one felt amazing. All this talk makes me slightly anxious that I made the wrong choice but I’m sure the ability to extend the seat will make all things good. Toby is really knowledgeable and we went back and forth. I have several La-Z-Boy stores and have been in the furniture business my whole life and know how to fit people to the right chair. Hopefully that helps. These seats are so superior to anything I’ve seen, which is a lot, that it would be hard to make a bad choice.

Brad
Old 07-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #75

Garage
Quote:

Forgot to mention I’m 53, 190lbs and pretty fit.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Glen, will you be selling your existing Sienna bases by chance?
At some point I'll be selling all 4 gray seats with bases. However, a while back I had a couple of people on this forum ask me to let them know first, which I will honor. If they aren't interested, I'll post them up here, once I'm ready to sell and have come up with a fair price.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #77

Thanks Brad... I am still leaning towards the Vario XXL because if my 37" inseam. I'm kinda built like Kermit The Frog in that my legs & torso are not proportionate.

What are your thoughts on the R vs F style? On the Scheel-Mann web-site it just talks about being a little harder to get into the R if your vehicle is lifted. I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am about how each version feels once in the seat.

I've always felt like one of the big contributing factors to my lack of comfort is with a long inseam, most (if not all) seat bases end at mid-thigh, not supporting me properly.

Hopefully, Toby can give me some direction as well.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #78

Quote:
...What are your thoughts on the R vs F style? On the Scheel-Mann web-site it just talks about being a little harder to get into the R if your vehicle is lifted. I'm not nearly as concerned about that as I am about how each version feels once in the seat...

...Hopefully, Toby can give me some direction as well.
**Disclaimer... "Comfort" is very subjective so it is difficult say that one style or another will be the best for your particular situation but, for what it's worth, here's my take...

I'm not a small dude. 6', mid 200's, a little top heavy, wide shoulders, thick through the middle... I feel like I fit the best in the F-style bolsters. The way I sit, they just seem to not interfere with my girth as much and I don't feel any pressure points. I have VarioF seats in the Cummins van and Touring in our Transit. The Touring has the lowest bolsters of the seats I've had but it's also less adjustable...a very basic model seat. If I had it to over again with the Cummins van, I would have ordered the VarioF XXL for myself since it does feel a bit more comfy for me in my upper body; less confined I think I'd describe the feeling as.

I've had the Touring, TravelerF, VarioF and driven a bit in a van with the VarioR. For my body type and my preferred seating position, in a perfect world, I'd prefer to have a Touring in my around-town-daily-driver and a VarioF XXL in a rig I was driving long distances. Only choosing one seat, I'd go with the VarioF XXL.

I'd also like to say that the seats are worth every penny! My wife and I both had issues with our backs during long drives before the Scheel-Mann seats...neither of us have any issue driving for hours now that we have the seats. Toby is also great to work with and a very helpful resource.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #79

150ish lbs, 6', 33" inseam; my VarioR's are perfect for me since I'm thin and want to be snuggled by the seat as much as possible. I'm also used to German sport seats with larger bolsters, so the longer(from where the seat back meets seat bottom, to the very front of the seat underneath the steering wheel) "run" of the R thigh bolsters, and the fact that the R's don't taper off so soon like the F's do, help hold my lower half into the seat "bucket" more.

Yes, the longer/taller R bolster edge(towards front of vehicle) means that when entering the vehicle and getting into the seat, you'd need to lift your right leg over the R bolster more than with the F bolster. To date I haven't found that to be an issue.

This makes me think the R seat bottom bolsters will be better for your long inseam, as the outer thigh bolsters don't end at mid-thigh with the R, the R runs full length of the seat. F seat bottom bolsters end mid-thigh yes; "I've always felt like one of the big contributing factors to my lack of comfort is with a long inseam, most (if not all) seat bases end at mid-thigh, not supporting me properly."

I'll post comparison pics of F vs R on Monday, as currently Toby doesn't have anything on the s-m site to show this difference.

For your 6'5" height, I'd be surprised if you didn't feel best/safest in the VarioXXL. And you'll want a Vario for the center seat bottom rollout feature, so you can specifically dial how much support you get under the backs of your thighs.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #80

Garage
Adding to the discussion (although it might be a repeat), I'm 6'-2", 265LBS, 34" inseam and ~44" waist. I have the Vario FXXL and it fits me great. I also think they're naturally mounted a little farther back than the stock seats, which also helps. I could probably =fine tune the adjustments a little more, which I'll do when the wife and I hit Colorado in September.