Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hey Wander, apologies for hijacking your thread, but thought this install video might be helpful to some. This is the idea I’m toying with for barn door/back door screens. It’s from the Rolef company out of Canada:

https://youtu.be/pa3uZsSVX88

I've seen the Rolef company screens in person, they're very nice - and on my list for the barn door... perhaps also the rear doors even though I already have the SMB rear door screen, I may upgrade it to a Rolef.

Stone Cite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #12

When I first saw the Skreenz I thought it was a great idea and we needed them in a few days so my wife threw something together that worked but.... So after that trip we ordered a set of Skreenz for our 1999 E250 Jayco and have not been disappointed, easier to install than the homemade ones and better airflow.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #13

Garage
Here's my DIY setup:
Front windows are a pillowcase design and slip over the doors with magnets along the bottom and velcro around the mirrors.

The slider has a zipper in the back and 2 rows of magnets in the front where we get in and out (the front zipper in the pic was replaced by magnets after our first trip. Both sections can be rolled and tied up if you're bugless.

The rear has three zippers so you can open up either side, the middle, or the whole thing.

Holy cow, that's a bad pic!

The YKK zippers by the foot came from Sailright. The screen is no-see-um from Home Depot, and the webbing for the borders came from Amazon. About a million hours of layout and sewing, but I'm no seamster.

If I did it again, I would make the webbing and magnets on the slider sections overlap so they would have more positive closure. Otherwise they would well.

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #14

I love mine they are one of the best accessories I have purchased for my van.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Here's my DIY setup:.

If I did it again, I would make the webbing and magnets on the slider sections overlap so they would have more positive closure. Otherwise they would well.
Thanks for posting this, Velo. I’m in the planning stages of this project now. Curious about your magnets... did you use the strip kind (thin, flat) you can buy by the foot? Or the round rare earth magnets maybe?
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #16

Garage
The magnets I used for the screen on the slider were cylindrical rare earth magnets with the + and - poles on the ends. I sewed then into the webbing so the ends would meet when the 2 screens were hanging. They work ok but there's gaps where bugs can get in because the webbing doesn't overlap.

If I did it again, I would make the webbing on the flap overlap the webbing on the other pieces and use disc magnets.

The magnets for the bottom of the front window screens are rare earth discs. they work great.

2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Old 07-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #17

Hey Velo (or anyone else who has done this) - did you use flexible magnetic tape for the top and sides of your back door screen? If so where did you source it? If not - how are you attaching it around the door with no gaps? Thanks
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #18

Garage
Velcro. Hook side tucked halfway into the door gasket, and the loop side sewn around the edge of the screening. The pockets for the rear door latches at the top of the door help hold the center up.

2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
Old 07-01-2020, 11:50 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
The magnets I used for the screen on the slider were cylindrical rare earth magnets with the + and - poles on the ends. I sewed then into the webbing so the ends would meet when the 2 screens were hanging. They work ok but there's gaps where bugs can get in because the webbing doesn't overlap.

If I did it again, I would make the webbing on the flap overlap the webbing on the other pieces and use disc magnets.

The magnets for the bottom of the front window screens are rare earth discs. they work great.
Thanks much! I was wondering about the need for overlap.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 AM   #20

Garage
Skreenz on my E350

My Skreenz arrived today and they do, indeed, fit like a glove. I was a little surprised - for the price - at the simplicity and lack of reinforcement on the edges. But they seem to work well so far. I ordered the standard size for E-series and they fit well even though I have rain guards installed.