Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #21

Sportsmobile still has the Classic stuff showing on their website. Is that an option for Texas, etc. or just the old SMB west. Maybe SMB hasn't updated their website yet, but they are showing the new SMB Southwest in Phoenix.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #22

Wow, cool. Anyone know who makes the above cab rack in front of the penthouse shown on the blue one in those pics? I'd like one of those
Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkboulder View Post
Wow, cool. Anyone know who makes the above cab rack in front of the penthouse shown on the blue one in those pics? I'd like one of those
See post #14
Old 06-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
Sportsmobile still has the Classic stuff showing on their website. Is that an option for Texas, etc. or just the old SMB west. Maybe SMB hasn't updated their website yet, but they are showing the new SMB Southwest in Phoenix.
The Classic is a Fresno product. It’s not part of Sportsmobile.

Fresno has been working on a replacement for the Ford van for close to a decade. After experimenting with very different bodies they choose adding their own van to a cutaway. I think they were wise and the market seems to agree.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #25

The Sportsmobile website shows updated 2021 and lists the new Phoenix location. It also has the Classic page still intact and accessible. There must me some agreement re the Classic that we do not know about.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
The Sportsmobile website shows updated 2021 and lists the new Phoenix location. It also has the Classic page still intact and accessible. There must me some agreement re the Classic that we do not know about.
There could certainly be an agreement of some sort. I’m more inclined to think it’s a web page management issue.

After watching the site for a decade now, I’d say it’s a fairly low-budget effort that doesn’t show a lot of work over time. SMB could easily have overlooked the Classic page, especially since that page has remained unchanged since the Classic product was a glimmer in Fresno’s eyes. The bottom half relating to the original van conversion goes back even further and both sections refer to 4wd conversions that Indiana and Texas never offered and aren’t listed in the current options page.

To not be too glum, the web page is functional and relatively easy to navigate. I’ve always admired and respected SMB’s openness with its price sheets and related details. That feature was a big part of our decision to go with the brand.

Who knows?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #27

To bring this topic back to life, does anyone know if Field Vans ever paints the Classic or do they just use the Rhino liner type finish. I know it's more durable, but I still like real paint. Thanks. The wife and I have been arguing about this for 2 years. I say Rhino only and she thinks they told her they could paint one.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:47 PM   #28

Hi Steve,

4+ years ago we were offered paint, wrap, or Raptor Liner. We chose Raptor. Don't know what they're doing now.

We've had our Classic for 1 year, 12K miles, 5 months on the road, 6+ weeks off-road (super fun!) and the Raptor has held up well.

The SMB folks we have traveled with have paint on 2000 to 2014 E-350 Econoline rigs, they have much "pinstriping." We have one or two spots where you can see scratch damage from one road with overgrown trees/bushes that were a good inch in diameter.

We're a bit surprised how well the Raptor has held up in the first year.

Nerf bars, corner of bumpers, ladder, mirror backs, and Rino fender flares are all very scratched with pinstriping.

Best,

Em -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #29

Thanks. Ours is a 2008 that we bought new. It has some Sierra pinstripes also, but overall the paint has held up great. Really the only time we get pinstripes is trying to get to some climbing area. 99% of our travels are on at least gravel roads or paved roads. Still hate to hear those branches going down the side of the van. Sounds like kids scraping their finger nails on the chalk board.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkboulder View Post
My buddy was up looking at his classic last year and sent me a pic of that rack (thought that was his van, but he didn't have the rack on the trip we did down to Baja a few months ago after they picked it up). The coolest part is the front screen zips open so you can access the rack from the inside.

As far as paint vs. Liner, my understanding was that they had some leak issues where the box mates to the cab. Bed liner encloses everything and makes one seamless seal, no more leaks.
My bet would be liner only. Although my buddy said they can mix up just about any color on-demand now.