Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #11

Re: Snow handling

In keeping with the hijack theme and the SMB notwithstanding, this Russian answer to the Hummer looks like it would be REALLY fun to drive in the snow.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Even my 2wd van handles phenomenally in the snow. I run a decently aggressive tread (toyo m55) for grip, but I think the real asset is the EB van's near 50/50 weight bias. Friends are always amazed that I can punch the gas to pass a truck, slingshot past even coming into a turn, and it never loses the slightest bit of grip. And unlike our Dodge trucks at work, the ABS isn't overly sensitive in the snow, so stopping is still excellent.

PS - the best boating is when the sun ain't shining!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

I agree--I'm pleasantly surprised with our new SMB's snow handling. I spent two weeks test driving it to and from work (ski instructor) on snow, ice, and slush. It's a 12 mile climb up the mountain with a 3,000' gain and lots of tight turns. I used 4WD mostly to keep up my speed though I probably would have needed it for driving conditions sooner or later. The SMB probably handled better than our 4Runner although the drive is slower going uphill. Never had to use the air lockers so they are yet to be tested in difficult conditions. Mileage is another matter.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #14

rionapo, how's the skiing at SF atm? Get any new snow out of this last storm? I've got two kids doing the Southern Series Slalom the first weekend in Feb. I hope I get to experience some winter driving conditions along the way.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #15

Curious why you went down in size tire and would you consider going larger again?

Also, how loud are the Toyo tires, overall how do you like them?

Currently running the Nitto Terra Grapplers

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Curious why you went down in size tire and would you consider going larger again?

Also, how loud are the Toyo tires, overall how do you like them?

Currently running the Nitto Terra Grapplers
I would consider going bigger again. For me, the size of the van shrinks a lot with the 305 tires on it. Yes it is only an inch in reality but the smaller tires and less width reduces the size of the van to me. I had Nitto Terra grapplers on it in 315 and they were horrible in the mud. Also it was time to get new tires since the Nitto's gave me about 25k out of them at the most.

The biggest complaint I have with the Toyo's is they like to wander. Compared to the 315 Nittos they were rock solid and no movement. The day I switched it felt like something happened to my steering. I watched them put the tires on so no they didn't touch the steering components. It was a very different van with the skinnier tires (E rated Toyo vs D Nitto's) and MT traction. I added steering stabilizers which helped but it is still noticeable. The traction is seriously good with the Toyo in all conditions I have come across. The noise is only slightly more or equal to the Nitto. Right after buying the Toyo I thought it was less noise but I think they have gotten louder as they have worn. I like the Toyo's and would buy again since I am used to the steering.

However in pictures I think the 315's fit the van better and look good. However in real life the 305's are just right to me... maybe a little undersized.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #17

glad to hear you agree the van can "handle" the larger tire size well. I agree that it looks much better bigger. My Nitto's are E rated. I agree they are terrible in any mud, but quiet on the road, good in rain, and seem to wear average. Not sure what I'd go with next, but will most likely go a little larger than currently have.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
rionapo, how's the skiing at SF atm? Get any new snow out of this last storm? I've got two kids doing the Southern Series Slalom the first weekend in Feb. I hope I get to experience some winter driving conditions along the way.
Sorry for the delayed response--missed your note on my last day off. Snow continues remarkably good; we've generally had the best in the Rockies this crazy mixed-up year. Last snow was a week ago & made for great conditions the day of your note. The upper mountain is starting to grow trees in the bump bottoms but they're avoidable. The racing slope (Muerte) is in great shape, thanks to a bunch of recent snow making. The UNM ski team (#1 per Ski Racing mag) trained there last week and tore the place up.

That said, tomorrow's forecast storm would help. I imagine you'll be here this weekend so you'll see first hand how much we get. Best of luck in the races. If we get a good dump, the best driving advice is to get an early start so you don't get caught behind slow moving traffic. The county usually takes good care of the road (except when they forgot to plow last week) but there's a slippery section though the state park at mile 8, after which the grade increases and the curves get sharp. Two-wheel drives don't usually make it past the park unless they have good tires and an experienced driver. Expect 30-45 minutes from the bottom if it's snow-packed and you don't get caught in traffic.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
glad to hear you agree the van can "handle" the larger tire size well. I agree that it looks much better bigger. My Nitto's are E rated. I agree they are terrible in any mud, but quiet on the road, good in rain, and seem to wear average. Not sure what I'd go with next, but will most likely go a little larger than currently have.
I have to concur. 33" tires look a tad small. I have 285/75R/R16's and was thinking of going with 305/70R (same 33" ht) for a bit wider footprint but am also interested in 315s. But there's not many E-rated options in a 315 (~35") on 16" rims. That, and there is the possibility of rubbing or hitting the bushwhackers? Or, is that only an issue on the newer Ford body style?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Sorry for the delayed response--missed your note on my last day off. Snow continues remarkably good; we've generally had the best in the Rockies this crazy mixed-up year. Last snow was a week ago & made for great conditions the day of your note. The upper mountain is starting to grow trees in the bump bottoms but they're avoidable. The racing slope (Muerte) is in great shape, thanks to a bunch of recent snow making. The UNM ski team (#1 per Ski Racing mag) trained there last week and tore the place up.

That said, tomorrow's forecast storm would help. I imagine you'll be here this weekend so you'll see first hand how much we get. Best of luck in the races. If we get a good dump, the best driving advice is to get an early start so you don't get caught behind slow moving traffic. The county usually takes good care of the road (except when they forgot to plow last week) but there's a slippery section though the state park at mile 8, after which the grade increases and the curves get sharp. Two-wheel drives don't usually make it past the park unless they have good tires and an experienced driver. Expect 30-45 minutes from the bottom if it's snow-packed and you don't get caught in traffic.
We get there Fri night, in time to make the team tuning session. So, we won't really get a chance to preview the mtn but personally I'm all for a big dump. The racers might prefer otherwise but never been so wifey and I will probably ski around a bit while not watching races. It's been pretty lean on our little hill, much like most of the lower 48.

Thanks for the tips! We're staying at the Santa Fe Inn. Sorry for the thread hyjack