Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Snow handling

Lots of snow in our area lately.

I have to say I really enjoy driving this beast in the snow. When everyone else is at home to afraid to go out I have no fear what so ever in this rig. It weighs 10k so it sticks to the road like glue. Over Thanksgiving weekend I took it up in the mountains and basically blazed a trail in untouched powder that was at least a foot deep or more and no problem what so ever. The 4x4 trucks following kept getting stuck and I kept pulling them out but I never spun the tires once. I was in charge of blazing the trail and once we got to camp I had to go around it like 10 times to even make it so the other 4x4 rigs could get in without getting stuck. This is my preferred vehicle in the snow. The more I drive it the more I like it.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #2

Re: Snow handling

What type of differentials are you running? Curious minds want to know

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

Does great for me except on ice but then what does? Those tires look burly. Are those on 17" or 16" rims (looks like ATX Mojave rims) and if so how wide? I assume 305 or 315 but those are scarce in an e rated 16 or 17" rim.

Nice rig!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

The tires are Toyo MT's E rated on 16" rims and they are 305's. I had 315's on but downsized a little. I am not sure what the rim is since it was in 2007 that they were bought and they are either old Mojaves or some other brand because I think the rims are powder coated. At least when I got new tires on they peeled a little of the powder coat off by accident around the center hub.

Also the 4x4 is an SMB conversion so using a front Dynatrac axle open and the rear is the standard semi float with 4.10 and L/S in the rear.

I don't have any ARB air lockers installed.

Even on ice this beast does well simply because it is so fricken heavy. We have an ice storm today and everything is covered in pure ice. No problem the van sticks to the roads like glue. Tons of cars off the road everywhere.

Here is closer look at the rim and tire.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

very nice looking rig and comments on its abilities in the white stuff...i'd rather be blazing the trail in a well equipped van knowing if it just got to crazy i could spend the night in cozy-comfort than uncomfortably stuck in a truck cab. The added ability you mention of a rescue rig just adds another level of cool

----On the same topic of "Snow Handling" i wanted to share that the fairly stock 2010 Chevy AWD van conversion my wife and i have handles the snow well also. We regularly have it at ~7k loaded for adventure year round (7,300 GVWR) and run Wild Country XTX MtnSnow tires and never an issue in the wet or white.

Cheers,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Man you are killing me, send some of that snow down here! Had a lot of fun last year driving in the deep stuff, made it through some nasty heavy 2-3 foot stuff no problem great fun as you all know, way more capable than our F250 Crew and that went pretty good. Supposed to get our first good storm tomorrow...lets hope.

Jim
Old 01-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Garage

I'm jealous of the 4x4 rigs, but our 2wd E250 is doing fine with our recent snowfall. We put studless Blizzaks all around, and with the help of the LSD haven't had any trouble with our 6" of snow topped with freezing rain. I think the weight of the conversion really helps gain traction.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
I have to say I really enjoy driving this beast in the snow.
I couldn't agree more. I went quite a ways up a trail last year for an overnight camp with a friend and was simply amazed at how well it did (Open front diff / LS rear). Wish I had taken more video. I did make it up this grade to a great camp spot at the top.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but snow 4wheeling and camping is simply a great time! Now, if we'd ever get snow this winter I'll head up again!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #9

Garage
Snow handling

I agree. I took mine up skiing on Mt Hood 2 nights ago. We go there at 5pm and there was 17" new when we got there. When I left at 10pm there was 2 freaking feet on the van. Needless to say it was some of the toughest winter driving I have seen. The van was amazing! There was around 12" of snow on the road and over 15 wrecks that I counted. I could pass through the median no problem which had 2 feet in places where I had to cross. I'm pretty sure people thought I was a snow plow based on noise of the diesel and the fact that my headlights were not aimed correctly and hit their roofs. It snowed so hard on the way down I finally had to turn off the lights altogether. I came from a quad steer suburban that was pretty amazing in the snow but "vandiesel" is a tank! What a blast.

Brad
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but snow 4wheeling and camping is simply a great time!

Phil
Hijack it all you want I think maybe the thread should be renamed winter driving experiences. Post them up if you got them.

We now have over a foot on the ground of snow and ice and I still seem to be the only one driving around in it in the van.