Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Site Team

Using the SMB for Community Service

Getting my rig ready to be used as a communications command center for a 100-mile, 65-mile and 30-mile charity fund raiser bike ride for the Multiple Sclerosis Society to be held in Las Vegas November 10-11, 2012. I will post more pictures after I take them tomorrow during the event.

I have also used my SMB during two Search and Rescue operations looking for persons who have drowned during flashfloods in Las Vegas. In a few weeks my rig will be featured as a "county emergency vehicle" in a local parade.

How have you used your SMB for community service? Post your comments and pictures on this discussion stream.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Using the SMB for Community Service

Thumbs up
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Re: Using the SMB for Community Service

Setting up my SMB as the emergency communications vehicle at rest stop #2 and #4 for the 100 mile and 65 mile charity bike ride.

A few of the riders at my rest stop

A snow storm swept into the area on the Red Rock Loop, a part of the course for the riders. The temperature dropped to 34 degrees. Most of the riders were in shorts or thin clothing and had shed their jackets at earlier rest stops. The riders stopped at my rest stop (#2) before going to loop and then came back to my rest stop (#4) when they completed the 26 mile loop. By the time they got back they were shivering with fingers and toes frozen. Fortunately I had just fixed the rear heater of my SMB (thanks to instructions from Ford_6L_E350), so it became a warm haven for the riders. I had them six deep at times in my regular body rig that only seats three. I had two riders who stayed in my van for over two hours before they thawed out. And, of course, because they were all inside, I stayed outside tending to the other riders. It was cold!!!!

Some of the volunteers huddled under space blankets.

Prior to the ride I drove through the campground a Red Rock Canyon. This SMB from Colorado was there camping with someone in a van from Washington. I stopped and said hello. They had never heard of the Sportsmobile Forum.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #4

I volunteer for about half a dozen public service events a year in which the SMB is put into action. Either as a HAM mobile communications post or a SAG (Support And Gear) vehicle. Mostly bike and running events, but it also provides off-grid power for amateur radio's annual Field Day event.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Site Team

We SAGed a lot of frozen riders off the mountain yesterday.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
How have you used your SMB for community service? Post your comments and pictures on this discussion stream.
Mac, usually when I leave town in my van I'm doing my community a favor.

No, really, cool post! I ride a lot of bike events and have vol'd with a few, and every since I started building my van I've thought about what a great 'mobile command center/sag vehicle' it would be.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote