Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #1

Garage
Winter Day Trip around Mt. Hood

It was a dreary, rainy day in Portland and I had the day off so decided to get out of town. The pup is recovering from surgery so no skiing or snowshoeing. But we stopped here and there for pictures and a little play. The route around the mountain is somewhere in the area of 120 miles for me. Up the mountain on Hwy 26; a quick side trip to Timberline is always in order; then down and around the mountain on Hwy 35 to Hood River. Freeway (I-84) to home. It was a great day and I got to alleviate some of the Portland rainy season cabin fever I’ve been feeling.

Pulling into Government Camp, at just 4,000 ft the snow is trying not to melt into slush. Off the road, there’s plenty of downhill and XC snow.

The pup got to lick some snow. She loves that!

One of my favorite easy-to-get-to trails. I once made the mistake of starting out on this loop trail on XC skis with some friends after noon. We were way too confident and wound up finally dragging our butts in to the ski lodge about nine hours later in the dark.

On the road to Timberline Lodge. The clouds were really low today and made it look like whiteout conditions but it wasn’t even snowing. As always, windy and cold.

End of the road at 6,000 ft. We sat in the parking lot for a bit, fed the dog, had a sandwich, kicked back. I sure love all the room in the van to move around. I kinda felt sorry for the folks in their regular vehicles. All those wet clothes and nowhere to move.

Even after all these years, I can never get enough of Timberline Lodge. I love the tunnel they put up so people can reach the front door despite the snow piling up. One year we had twenty five feet of snow pack up there and the drifts around that tunnel were huge. It was like entering some kind of winter wonderland, all warm and cozy inside.

Here’s what it looks like in summer:

All the way around the mountain to catch I-84 back home. Even in the rain and cold, the Columbia Gorge is still one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #2

Big fun thanks for posting! Sadly after living in Oregon for 20 years I’m yet to make it up to Timberline....travesty I know. I need to fix that soon.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #3

Garage
Just recently started binge watching the seasons of Oregon field guide and caught a segment about the timberline lodge, specifically highlighting the blacksmith work. Place looks amazing. Definitely like to stop in there sometime. I’ve sent hours and hours in the Yellowstone lodge just gawking at craftsmanship and design. Timberline lodge looks to provide the same kinda draw.

Thanks for the pix. Love your van. Great combo of chrome and black with white. I’m generally not a fan of chrome but your rig pulls it off well.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Big fun thanks for posting! Sadly after living in Oregon for 20 years I’m yet to make it up to Timberline....travesty I know. I need to fix that soon.
Travesty, for sure! Oh so close! Hit me up almost anytime if you want a personal tour. I love this place like it’s my own. Before they built the day lodge, we used to tromp in there in our ski boots and gear and beat the heck out of the place. The best thing that ever happened was when the day lodge went up and they renovated Timberline with the respect it deserved.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Just recently started binge watching the seasons of Oregon field guide and caught a segment about the timberline lodge, specifically highlighting the blacksmith work. Place looks amazing. Definitely like to stop in there sometime. I’ve sent hours and hours in the Yellowstone lodge just gawking at craftsmanship and design. Timberline lodge looks to provide the same kinda draw.

Thanks for the pix. Love your van. Great combo of chrome and black with white. I’m generally not a fan of chrome but your rig pulls it off well.
Thanks, Shenrie. I was unsure when I started how I would like the chrome/white/black theme but it feels good to me.

Oregon Field Guide is my favorite show! Great for binge watching. If you like Yellowstone, you’ll love Timberline. I think it’s cozier and warmer and has nooks and crannies you wouldn’t expect. I never get tired of it. There’s so much history there, which is a real draw for me.

Here’s an interior photo of the great room by photographer Danita Delamont (watermarks from approved download). The fireplace is massive and the whole second floor is built in a ring around it.
Attached Thumbnails
0E9C3F22-30D8-45CC-8278-661982B52E6F.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #6

Garage
^^^ nice! The fireplace area at the Yellowstone lodge is one of my favorite spots inside. Timberline looks fantastic. Definitely on my list of Oregon stops now.

I was lucky years ago to have a friend working at the Yellowstone lodge. We met him one year the week all the employees showed back up before the park officially opened. He gave us an all day tour. Eagles nest, haunted rooms, and took us to all the cool little things the average joe doesn’t have access to. Was such a cool day! Got up close and personal with all the older buildings in the immediate area, then the following days he took us to a bunch of features around the park that most people down stop at cause it’s more than a hundred feet from the parkway lot.

OFG is a great show. Have always enjoyed watching the episodes and now that we have the roku box I’ve started watching the first few seasons that aired 31 years ago, lol. Free tv is the best when you can’t leave town or have any moola to work/spend on the van
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
What??? Travesty for sure. Even this Tennessee boy has been up there 2 or 3 times. I love the place. I especially love it when there is a cloud inversion up there and you are on top of them looking out over the sea of white. It's very cool. You gotta get up there Whit.

Thanks for the jog down Memory Lane, Otter. Good stuff for sure.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #8

We did something similar last weekend with some friends. Took Hwy 26 up to Government Camp, but then kept going over the mountain to the Madras area. It was cold, but we had SUN and NO RAIN!!! We camped and got in some decent hiking. The Espar heater at night was a godsend!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0880.jpg   IMG_0897.jpg   IMG_0922.jpg   IMG_0932.jpg   IMG_0942.jpg  

Kirk B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #9

Garage
Whenever I get depressed after too much rain, we hop over to “the sunny side” for even a day trip. It’s just amazing how different the weather is over there. Even on the mountain itself, you can go around to the east side and have a way better chance of some sunny skiing or snowshoeing. Cute pics!