Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to SuperSuz
Re: Wow! I own a Sportsmobile!!! And it's Super!

River Rat added 12v and 110V power receptacles throughout the van and added a shore power connector.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #12

He also added led porch light that he designed himself using powerful LED lights, (three to a line, two lines).

Added circuits to the fuse box in the back of the van. Here’s a picture of it located on the inside wall of the storage box located under one of the rear couches. It’s labeled and gives access to a 12-volt plug (ready for flagpole lights).
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #13

Next, he replaced the ten-gallon water tank under the rear seat and added a 2 way grey water system. It sounds easy, but it wasn’t, really. He upgraded that water system to include an outside freshwater inlet that locks, a new drainage hole under the van for grey water bucket stored outside on the ground for longer stays. Then, he added an internal grey water tank (a common drinking water jug) that sits next to the 10-gallon water tank. River Rat added a new set of valves and water lines to connect everything together, including the kitchen sink. Here are some pics to show the work.

[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x83/squareglow/July%204th%20Weekend/ADVan/addv143.jpg

[/IMG]
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #14

Old 06-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #15

The van did not have an inverter or converter or house battery charging system. For those who don’t know what these are, an inverter is converts 12V DC to 115 AC and a converter/charger is for AC to DC and house battery charging. These new units were installed behind the driver’s seat on the wall of the portapotty cabinet.

To keep the project simple and reliable, an internal shore power outlet was installed. You’ll also notice in the pictures a smaller, grey box which is for the converter and when the van is connected to shore power (house A/C electrical receptacles plug in here)

River Rat was a little concerned that I would not use it that often, like many RV folks do. He finally realized that all his hard work will not be taken for granted and that this van will be used well. He's glad to know that I’ve taken it out on many trips since I received delivery of the renovated van back in March. So far, it’s been to Bodega Bay, Harbin Hot Springs, Sierra Hot Springs nearby Truckee, Lake Del Valle in the Hayward hills, Stoneyford off of the 5 FWY nearby Williams, Benton Hot Springs, and Markleeville in the Sierras, Panamint Springs and Saline Hot Springs in Death Valley. Just recently, it was at Cache Creek and it’s scheduled to go to Loon Lake in the Desolation Wilderness area and to Colorado and Utah for a month. I think that’s a pretty good list for starters with this van. I had no trouble with the engine or any other part of the van except for a dead battery after about one week of sitting and that may very well have been operator error.

The exterior of the van was dialed down a couple of notches to a lower profile by removing all the faded pin striping and the fancy side floorboard trim. The paint received a clay bar and wax job and the rusty but good spare was covered with a simple tire cover. River Rat emailed Sportsmobile for a new graphic design and gave them the make, year, and model number of the van. They sent back the correct “era” Sportsmobile graphic and that was posted to the sides of the van. Here are the before and after shots to show you the difference.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #16

and you can see from the before pic, it had the shaggin waggin border at the bottom and the pimpin' pin stripes. Well RR thought that had to go. I told him it was ok to leave it. He had this idea that if I was in charge of getting rid of that stuff, it would not look as good as it should and it would take too long to get the job done. So he got this goof off stuff and carefully removed the pin stripes to the point where there is hardly any noticeable evidence they were there. He was right. I don't think I would have been able to do as good a job and I'll be forever greatful as I get cool looks from Sportsmobile fans as I drive down the road.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #17

Here she is at Saline Valley in Death Valley National Park

Oh My God! I was in 7th heaven when I took this picture. I had the best time on that trip.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #18

Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #19

As you can see from the after pics, River Awesome Rat did a lot of work to this van to make it just SUPER! I know there is a very big difference in the prices of Sportsmobiles and some of you who are reading this want to know how much I paid for the van and how much the upgrades cost. I paid under 7,000.00 for the van and the upgrades. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming and that I really do own a fantastic Sportsmobile with my educator’s salary. But I do. I’m so stoked about that!

Although my van is not 4-by, it made it through 100 miles of dirt roads found in Death Valley with only one problem. One of the three hooks that hold down the pop-up snapped loose when the bolt broke in two. The bolt, the nut, and the black button cover were lost to the road. After one call to Sportsmobile, they sent the missing parts to me for free and pronto! I am really impressed with the quality of the Sportsmobile conversion. The dirt road rides did not add even a tiny squeak or creek from the cabinetry- even after some pretty rickety washboard straight-aways. These vans can hold up and I’m looking forward to getting more than my money’s worth from many, many days of happy camping. Don’t worry, Matt. Trust me that it will be used. See you out there!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #20

I'll be hauling this on the hitch once I get a hauler. ( I need a good deal so PM me if you have a good one and local).

Thanks to Tahoeacr Jeff for helping me with the transaction in South Tahoe for this Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. It's a 2003 and it rides really well for such a light and nimble bike. It's perfect, don't ya think?

Now I just need good, moderate places to ride in Utah and Colorado. Any suggestions? Anyone camping out that way in July?