Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #11

Garage
Re: 10 Days in Southern Utah

Sorry to see and read that a deer hit you. I saw a lot of those actually, espacially at night, and had to make several emergency braking to avoid collision. At night, you really want to drive slowly at this season.

Anyway, nice trip report! Wasn't the water going to the Subway to cold?

Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #12

Garage

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Pschitt, the weather was great that day (November 20th). The high got up to 59 degrees and yes the water was cold but not too cold. I actually slipped while crossing the creek and ended up in the water above my knees and almost up to my hip on one side. I thought I'd be cold and miserable but it was never a problem. I had quick dry pants on and water proof socks. I never got cold other than the initial plunge.

If you were hiking it from the top down, you'd be in water up to your waist and chest in places and would need a dry suite. Hiking it from the bottom up, you can stay out of the water except the last 100 yards or so but it's only 1/2" deep as it spreads across the rock floor of the canyon.

Mike
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #13

Garage

Thanks for these useful info, this place is also on my bucket list.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #14

Epic pics and trip. Damn deer. Could've been worse I suppose
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #15

Garage

what a great trip report mike. thanks for sharing. those pix... just incredible. i keep opening this thread up to look at them over and over. what a beautiful area! i need to see it in person. this thread confirms it.

the roasting peeps thing made me lol. i have a buddy that loves those things and told us about roasting them just this past summer, but he takes it further and makes smores with them too. they were better than they sounded.

sorry to see the deer damage though hopefully the repair is a painless process!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #16

Bummer about the deer, but I think the damage gives the van a rugged, I ain't afraid to use it kinda look.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #17

I got paranoid.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #18

They tend to fill with bugs, so keep em clean.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #19

Garage

Just got the estimate back from the local auto body place for the damage. $3,911. I have State Farm Insurance and a $250 deductible for Comprehensive. They gave me a list of four recommended places in town and then let me pick my own company for the repairs and say they will handle everything.
So far no issues and everyone, including the auto body shop has been good to work with.

Eric, hopefully the deer in Tennessee are smart enough not to run into the side of your van. TexGX and I saw plenty of deer near the roads in the Park and were talking about the merits of the whistles. Hope they work.

Mike
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan
We left early on Monday morning and drove to Kanab to the Grand Staircase-Escalante Visitor Center to experience the lottery for a wilderness permit to hike the The Wave. The Wave, located in North Coyote Buttes, is another world famous hike about an hour East of Kanab off of Highway 89. The hike starts in Utah and, if seeing the Wave, takes you into Arizona and then back to the trailhead. They allow only 20 people a day into the North Coyote Buttes area. 10 permits are given out by advance reservations, 4 months ahead of time, and 10 are given out as walk-ins. To try to get a permit you meet at the Visitor Center at 8:30 and file into a room and fill out the application. Each group is given a number and the numbers are drawn bingo style. There were 110 people hoping for a permit, 45 applications total. Luck was not with us that day so we left empty handed.
Mike
Great trip report.
Next time you are in the area and don't get selected for the Wave, don't despair. There is another "little known" equivalent to it called White Pocket. No permit required. I promise you will not be disappointed. Its harder to get to. (4x4 only) Only 7 miles (straight line) from the Wave.
Coordinates are: 36.957113° -111.896956°
Turn off House Rock Road here: 36.861893° -112.063003°
Great Campsite here: 36.862763° -112.027383°
Lots of side roads and areas to explore
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote