Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #21

Garage
Re: 10 Days in Southern Utah

86scotty,

I told Mike that when I lived in Texas, every car I had had them and I never hit a deer. Not too many in Texas that can say that. They are on my short list.

Mike,

We might have to check out charlie56 location.

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
There is another "little known" equivalent to it called White Pocket. No permit required.
Oops... no longer "little known"

Thanks... I will try to check that out. My Socorro trip has fallen through this weekend... hmmmm...
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #23

Garage

White pocket does not have a lottery system, but you do need to obtain a permit to visit or camp.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan
Just got the estimate back from the local auto body place for the damage. $3,911. I have State Farm Insurance and a $250 deductible for Comprehensive. They gave me a list of four recommended places in town and then let me pick my own company for the repairs and say they will handle everything.
So far no issues and everyone, including the auto body shop has been good to work with.

Eric, hopefully the deer in Tennessee are smart enough not to run into the side of your van. TexGX and I saw plenty of deer near the roads in the Park and were talking about the merits of the whistles. Hope they work.

Mike
Glad everything is working out easily so far. For most of us an SMB is not a daily driver, so if that's the case for you that certainly helps.

We have lots of deer here. I've never hit one, but virtually every one I know has. Statistically, given the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven working, and my personal driving, I'm way overdue. Plus, these were $4.20 plus 10 minutes to rivet them in place.
Funny story, soon after several coworkers had hit deer and busted up their trucks I took a day off and the girl who covered my route? You guessed it, tagged a deer and took my truck out of service for awhile. It was a new Sprinter and I was enjoying it so I was bummed. And here as well, most strikes are right in the side or more often the rear side of a vehicle, not the front.

OK, back to talking about cool places to visit.............

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #25

Garage

Charlie56, thanks for the heads up. Thinking about heading down sometime in the spring for more hiking. I've heard of White Pocket or have seen it on a map but know nothing about it.
We'll have to check it out.
I appreciate the information and the coordinates.

Mike
Old 12-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
White pocket does not have a lottery system, but you do need to obtain a permit to visit or camp.
Nope
You definitely do not have to have a permit. (Maybe before but no longer,) I checked into the BML station last spring just in case. I asked if a permit was required, the answer was a definite no to that part of the area. White Pocket is outside the permit area.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #27

Garage

I confirm: no permit required for White Pocket. I was there twice, the trail is quite sandy in places but not to difficult if you deflate tires.

About scenery, it's not exactly as the Wave but anyway a wonderful place worth to go to. Be there in late afternoon for the best light... ;-)
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
...It was getting dark as I approached Torrey and the deer were out and about. I turned west on Highway 24 at Torrey, Utah and was still in the city limits when a dog, chasing a deer through the front yard of a house, was running toward the SMB. I saw it outside the passenger side window running fast and was hoping it would veer to the back and miss the van. A second later I heard a thud. The deer slammed into the passenger side, just in front of the rear tire. It put two dents in the SMB and busted the fender flare. It also popped one side of the door galley wall out of place...
It could be worse. This would really ruin your day if riding a bike.

Herb
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
...It was getting dark as I approached Torrey and the deer were out and about. I turned west on Highway 24 at Torrey, Utah and was still in the city limits when a dog, chasing a deer through the front yard of a house, was running toward the SMB. I saw it outside the passenger side window running fast and was hoping it would veer to the back and miss the van. A second later I heard a thud. The deer slammed into the passenger side, just in front of the rear tire. It put two dents in the SMB and busted the fender flare. It also popped one side of the door galley wall out of place...
It could be worse. This would really ruin your day if riding a bike.

Herb
Ha! That's a friend of a friend. He's fine (nothing broken, minor concussion, bunch of bruises) but the bike is finished..
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #30

Wow! I just stumbled across that yesterday. The one I saw didn't show the slow motion. If you turn the volume up on the slo-mo you can hear a big long moan after the crash. I wonder if it was the rider or the deer?
Glad he lived.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote