Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #31

Re: 20 states in 24 days, our PNW trip

Awesome TR!

We're getting ready to head out for a week long adventure with our kiddos real soon and this is a perfect reminder to stop long enough to take a photo and really look around and enjoy the scenery. You've done a fantastic job at doing both! The trip is so much more than checking the box at each destination.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #32

Fantastic report and pictures! I've really wanted to get the family out washington and oregon this sept but haven't gone into full out planning and actually pull the trigger on if we are going to go, this has really inspired me to get serious about it. Thanks again for sharing.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #33

Garage

It really looks that you all had a great trip! But I personally cannot imagine drive so many miles in such a short time. To frustrating not being able to stay longer in so many nice places...!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #34

Great TR!
Your Oregon pictures are awesome!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #35

Continued..........We went on a day trip while in Portland to one of our favorite places, Mt. Hood. It was great to goof around there and go up to the lodge, but we were too lazy to hike. Unfortunately, most of my pics came out like this

We then went over to the Hood River area and the skies were clear with little wind, which I think is kinda rare there. Lots of folks SUP and windsurfing. It's a beautiful valley

When I walked back to the van after that shot, someone had beat me to the driver's seat. At this point in the trip I was about ready to let her have it.

We did the all-too-popular waterfall stops headed back towards Portland, and if you aren't familiar with this area some of the biggest and best are in the Columbia River Gorge, including Multnomah Falls

After a couple of days of drying out and catching up we were ready to hit the road. First destination: The Lego Store in Portland. My kids are junkies and we don't have a store nearby. The van got eerily quiet for awhile after this stop. Apparently it's like Aluminess or Sportsmobile for some other people. We didn't really have time to even get started on the Seattle area, so we pointed Rusty towards Mount Ranier to do some scouting for a future trip when we will spend a lot more time. Mount Ranier NP was really quiet when we were there, not sure if that's normal for this time of year. My enthusiasm for taking pics was waning a bit, but I got a few decent shots

We stayed at Cougar Rock CG in the park and it was very nice. Huge peaks and cliffs all around you and pretty deep in an evergreen forest. No pics unfortunately. From there we headed East. We had a pretty nice lunch stop on the east side of the park

Hwy 410 headed East from Mt. Ranier along the American River is quite beautiful. There were lots of good looking boondock spots where we would've loved to stop for awhile. We were running out of time though, and had reservations at Glacier NP. We drove over to Coeur d'Alene and had the best Philly I've ever had at a roadside stand called the Best Sandwich Shack. Check em out on Trip Advisor or something. It was amazing. We stayed at a rather unremarkable State Park but it had a shower so we stopped. The next day we were seeking some backroads over to Glacier so we went North up around Lake Pend Orielle and took 200 across the Kanisku Nat'l Forest towards Kalispell. Keep in mind that many roads in Montana aren't paved even though the map would make you think they would be. Glad I was in the SMB. We crossed the range up to Hwy 2 on a very long, as in 30-40 miles, and very flat gravel road. It was a blast doing some rally racing running 50+ the whole time and creating a monumental wake of dust. I wasn't really sure how much dust we were throwing until we came head-to-head with a log truck going about 50 too. I think it scared her more than me, but to answer the dust question......alot.

More to come.............

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #36

Garage

I'm the same, I like seeing a big dust cloud in the VivaLaVida's mirror...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #37

Continued........On to Glacier

Next we rolled through Kalispell and in to Apgar Village at West Glacier. The shore by the village is one of my favorite places. It was late afternoon, nice and quiet when we rolled in. Nothing like sitting here with a cup of coffee and taking in the view.

Happy little girl

We camped at Fish Creek and had a great site next to the creek. Couldn't hear a thing for the rushing water. This is my favorite way to sleep in the penthouse, listening to a rushing creek through the screens.

No idea where she took this, but it's somewhere on Logan Pass

We were officially out of time at this point, but rolled over Logan Pass the next day and wanted to see if we could get in Many Glacier CG. We did and really want to go back there and stay several days soon.

Happy girl playing in the snow on Logan Pass

Many Glacier CG

Horse Corral by Many Glacier. Can you spot the SMB?

The next day the girls wanted to ride horses so they went and my son and I hiked out of Swiftcurrent Lodge up to Redrock Falls. This is a short but excellent hike. I wish my pics of it were better! Take bear spray and don't go alone near Many Glacier. Bears were very active. One lady we talked to had 2 bear encounters the same day on the same hike!

From there, we put our heads down and traveled east. We took Hwy 2 across Montana and North Dakota to avoid the interstate until we had to hit it. This was a pretty drive. It's 2-lane highway and there's nothing on it but bugs. I had to stop 4 times in one evening along this route to clean the windshield enough to carry on. We made it home in 3 days and honestly weren't tired of traveling but still glad to be home. This one is in the books and I can honestly say it was worth the wait. You Northwest folks have some unrivaled beauty around you. Don't take it for granted!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #38

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

What a great adventure for you and your family - they will never forget!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #39

Love the pics from Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls. My dad was born and raised in Cascade Locks so I spent many a summer along the Columbia River on family vacations. What a great trip for you and your family!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #40

Thanks guys. Landshark, I probably have some more decent ones, but honestly our pictures got worse and less frequent as we got towards the end of our trip. I think we were just getting worn out on lugging the camera(s) everywhere.
She takes most of the pics anyway and all told it was about 3k of them.