Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: I'm interested in a meetup and would like it to be in:
Area 1 Central Sierras (Tahoe down to Yosemite) 4 18.18%
Area 2 Southern Sierras (Yosemite down to Kings) 5 22.73%
Area 3 395 Corridor 7 31.82%
Area 4 Central Coast 6 27.27%
Other (provide suggestion) 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #31

Garage
Re: 2010 Central California Fall Meetup

All of those places seem great. Will there be both 2WD and 4WD SMBs on this trip? I am up for something involving off-roading, but I have no experience. I have scheduled a driving class, it isn't until November so I am concerned about anything too difficult. I am planning to camp Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. What if we camped in the Buttermilk/Lake Sabrina area Friday and Saturday nights, then for those who wanted a 4WD trip, we moved to Coyote Flats on Sunday for some primitive camping? Has anyone stayed in either Four Jeffery or North Lake Campgrounds? Either look like they would work for Friday and Saturday. My book doesn't show any camping along Buttermilk Road, but it could be wrong.

Steve in L.A.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #32

Garage

Book? We don't need no book. The best spots are not in books, anyway. I know most of them, too. Steve, I assume you have 4wd from your post. Why would you stay in a campground if you don't have to? I never do, with minor exception. There's a great short but steep climb to a fabulous spot in the buttermilks that you will love, and it requires a stretch of low range. I'd like to camp there, but 2wd's may not git up the hill. If not, there's plenty of space in the main area.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #33

Garage

I was thinking along the lines of an event that would meet the needs of as many people as possible. Of course, that is often difficult to do, so the other option is the "Hey, I'm doing this and any that want to join me are welcome" method which I actually prefer. I was also trying to take Dave's suggestions into account. I have 4WD and I am equipped for boondocking but would definitely feel more comfortable tagging along with someone familiar with the area. The idea behind two different sites was to be sure that there was an opportunity for 2WD and 4WD to camp together for part of the time at least. Without knowing who is committed and what their capabilities are, it's hard to plan.
Steve in L.A.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #34

We have a 2006 EB SMB 4WD and live in the SF Bay area would be open to a meet-up the Central California region, either camping or Boondocking. We've never been to one of these meetups before and would relish the opportunity. The only thing is that the only October weekends open for us would be the 2nd-3rd, 9th-10th, or 23rd-24th.
My Backcountry Adventures Northern California 4wd Trails book (which I really like) lists 50 trails in the region (none of which we have tried yet). These are the trails that are listed as a difficulty rating of 1 or 2 (which the book says is suitable for high-clearance 2WD):
Dinkey-Trimmer Road, scenic rating 9 out of 10
Kings River Trail, scenic rating 9
Sawmill Flat Road, scenic rating 10
Big Creek Railroad Grade Trail, scenic rating 9
Balloon Dome Overlok Trail, scenic rating 8
Peckinpah Road, scenic rating 8
Central Camp Road, scenic rating 8
Fresno Dome Road, scenic rating 9
Ferguson Ridge Trail, scenic rating 8
Merced River Road, scenic rating 10
Masonic Trail, scenic rating 8
Sawmill Meadow Road, scenic rating 8
Casa Diablo Road, scenic rating 8
White Mountain Road, scenic rating 10
Saline Valley Road, scenic rating 10
Mazourka Peak Trail, scenic rating 8

Has anyone tied any of these and have recdcomendations?
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yubariver
We have a 2006 EB SMB 4WD and live in the SF Bay area would be open to a meet-up the Central California region, either camping or Boondocking. We've never been to one of these meetups before and would relish the opportunity. The only thing is that the only October weekends open for us would be the 2nd-3rd, 9th-10th, or 23rd-24th.

Has anyone tied any of these and have recdcomendations?
Here are a few comments on the trails:
Dinkey-Trimmer Road, scenic rating 9 out of 10
Did this at last years meet & greet. Easy trail, some long downhill stretches that could wear out the brakes if you don't have low range. No problem for 2x4 going up it.

Big Creek Railroad Grade Trail, scenic rating 9
Did this at last years meet and greet. Since its a railroad grade it is a easy trail in both directions.

Balloon Dome Overlok Trail, scenic rating 8
This was the trail that last years meet & greet was on at Sample Meadows. Andrew made it with that humongous RV. I think that says it all.

Masonic Trail, scenic rating 8
Great trail. The townsite at Masonic would make a great remote primitive group campsite. Googlemap 38°22'5.06"N 119°7'38.68"W

White Mountain Road, scenic rating 10
Nice "road" up through the bristlecone forrest. Here is a remote campsite location that would accommodate a group at +8,500 ft. Googlemap 37°20'20.24"N 118°10'48.99"W

Saline Valley Road, scenic rating 10
So who's is up for the bumpiest washboard road in the world.

If you haven't read it, here is a link to last years event discussion and Dave's great trip report.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2560
http://autoramblings.com/sportsmobile/?m=200912
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #36

Okay, so the Buttermilk/Lake Sabrina area around Bishop it is. Someone who's been there pick a nice spot for 2wd and 4wd folks and we can day trip some of the beautiful trails mentioned based on our abilities.

We'll be there Friday and Saturday night, 23-24 October, with kids in tow. Anyone bringing kids? We've got an 8 and 3 year old. Since no one wanted to go to Hope Valley (our backyard camping area), its going to be a bit of a drive for us. I would hate to drag kids along if they won't have anyone to play with after the torturous drive.

Pick a spot and we'll see you there!

Brooke and Greg
GregandBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #37

Garage

Charlie, I don't know about the first four you mentioned. The others are on the east side. Are the first ones on the west side?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Charlie, I don't know about the first four you mentioned. The others are on the east side. Are the first ones on the west side?
Yeah, they are on the west side of the Sierras near Huntington Lake just east of Fresno.

Just a reminder for all you subscribers, you can download all of the trail routes from the Backcountry Adventure books into Google Earth. Just click on the following link.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4139
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #39

If you were driving to Buttermilk Flats/Lake Sabrina from the SF Bay Area, how would you come; Hwy 120 through Yosemite? Near the end of October, is there a danger of Tioga pass being closed due to snow? Would the close altenatives, Hwy 4 or Hwy 108, be closed as well? Unfortunately, travelling by Hwy 80 would add 3+ hours to the trip.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #40

Garage

As attractive as Buttermilk Country looks, it seems logical for this trip's destination to be somewhere on the western side of the Sierras considering the late date and the concerns that Yubariver brings up. There is a place called Voyager Rock that is along the Courtright Reservoir near Dinkey Creek road. It is paved until you get to the reservoir then turns into a single lane forest road that might be ok for 2WD. I have never been there and this info is from my backroads guide. There seems to be some more challenging trails in the area, so maybe we can do a 2WD and 4WD Saturday night and an optional 4WD Sunday night somewhere else.

Steve in L.A.