Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
2018 Baja 1000-November 16-18

Hey all, thought I’d get a thread going on the prospects of starting the planning stages for the 2018 Baja 1000 and beyond.
Last year there was a good size group that met up on a sandy bluff south of San Felipe to plant Ramsay’s memorial plaque, along with several of us (1der, Arctictraveller, Mrs. AT and myself) traveling together exploring northern Baja for a few more weeks after the race.
At any rate, I’m planning on heading down again, I’ll have the family with me plus our little poodle doodle this time and we’ll head south after viewing the race on the 16th around San Felipe or Puertecitos.
Our idea is to make our way even further south than last year and really get into some more of those beautiful beaches and bays only found further down. My thought is to go south through Coco’s corner and pick up 1 to the cut off to Bahia de Los Angeles and hang out at La Gringa for a few days before heading back to 1 South. Plan is to spend as much time on the gulf of California between Santa Rosalia, Punta Chivato, Mulege, bay of conception and Loreto where the fam will fly out and I’ll make my way back up north.
I’ve got till December 2nd before making my way home from Loreto, looks like the race is the weekend of November 16-18th
Here’s the thread from last year for reference....
Ramseys memorial at the Baja 1000
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Who’s in? Race only? Time to explore further south?

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #2

Tempting, had a good time watching the 500 with my old race buddies. Is 2wd an issue?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_192820.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	21788Click image for larger version

Name:	20180602_174639.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	21789
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
REF

There were only a few spots that we needed 4WD, one definitely getting in/out of the bluff memorial spot south of San Felipe, and even then some of us got stuck.....[emoji849] but we all had recovery gear. I’m going to have my off road trailer with me this trip, so that’ll keep me from venturing too far into uncharted territory like last year, but it’s Baja, so there’ll be some off road ventures for sure, sounds like you’ve been down before, so as you know, you should be fine with 2WD and some level of skill.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #4

OK, I'm in...................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #5

Thinking about it. We are talking about going someplace warm in November.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

I've been doing a lot of driving this summer, by November I may be less inclined to drive very far South. It's too soon to tell, but I may elect to spend more time hanging on the beach, and less time driving further South. So, that means there are options for other folks who may or may not want to continue South, but prefer to travel with others.
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
REF

Nice! Look forward to exploring with both of you guys again, Janet can fly out of Loreto with Alex and Lake, think she already planted the seed.
We’re planning on having much more beach time and relaxing too, just doing it a bit further south than last year, and honestly it’s not that much further to hit some areas we were in years ago, could spend a week at Punta Chivato alone. Come on Jeff, you can do it! It’s less than 5 hrs from Puertecitos to Guerro Negro and then about 3 hrs over to Santa Rosalia. Bringing the trailer and the toys, got a nice Sea Eagle drop stitch inflatable canoe, planning on setting things up and spending more time fishing and playing out on the water and exploring the beach with the Rad Minis....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
REF

It looks like this year’s Baja 1000 is back to being a loop race, beginning and ending in Ensenada, unlike last years 50th anniversary point to point. Not much info on it yet, but I believe the start of the course is similar and should again be going past San Felipe, just found this....
http://www.bajainsider.com/article/b...ber-14-18-2018
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 09-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #9

That sounds great. Years where they do a loop, gives spectators the chance to see them go by twice, with far less driving. Our schedule is still a bit up in the air yet, but there is plenty of time to figure it out, and I'm looking forward to another epic Baja trip.
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
REF

In case you missed this bit of news, hurricane Rosa has caused significant road damage and flooding to areas of Baja. San Felipe saw some major flooding, and Mex5 is closed between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay due to numerous road and bridge washouts. There’s also some washouts and mudslides along Mex1
Unfortunately they are now tracking hurricane Sergio making its way towards the peninsula....
Hopefully this one doesn’t cause any more deaths or further destruction, it may put a damper on travel down there, including the upcoming Baja 1000?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91248
CCV High Profile Pop Top