Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #11

Re: Advice for lone female baja traveller

You guys are all thinking the same thing, but are too hung up, repressed, whatever to speak up. Let's see, a single surfer girl with a Sportsmobile! I've had dreams that started like that. Well, I'm not scared and I'll ask the question you all are to scared to ask: Can we see a picture of your Sportsmobile?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #12

Wow Lisa, I'm impressed. You go girl. I like the advice so far. Common sense goes a long way down there. Sounds like you are doing it right. Crossing at Tecate and driving as far south as possible is a really good plan. I really don't feel completely comfortable until I pass El Rosario. Even then be careful where you stay at night especially if there aren't other campers around. Dogs are great for extra safety in Mexico. Something about the culture down there and a fear of dogs, especially big ones. Baja has been great to me and my family. My mother owns property down in Los Barilles now and makes the trip by herself. She went down this December by herself at age 67. Have fun.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #13

Panion,
I realize this is a long shot, but was your mom driving a Subie? Met a woman around that age in San Ignacio who was heading there or on the way back.

Like you, I think the first 200 miles closest to the border are a little sketchy. I blast through it.

Lisa,
Lots of good info on www.bajanomad.com too.

I wanna go!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #14

Nope, Mom was in a toyota van. Not uncommon to run into someone you know down there though. Really a small world sometimes.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #15

Huh? I wouldn't let my sister, wife, girlfriend, daughter or any other female go to Mexico alone. Are you nuts?
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #16

Regarding advice of being nuts....yep, i probably am, i realize a little bit, but it's my dream trip (always my dream trip) and it totally sucks that i have the whole winter off work every year and no one to go play with - when my good friend had to bail on our baja trip, i decided it's worth it to go alone.

Not a total rookie here - my exboyfriend and i spent months at a time cruising around the peninsula in previous winters, looking for isolated surf breaks. But that being said, he was a mechanical engineer and pretty darn well mechanically inclined and so i never worried about vehicle issues.

One of my main reasons for buying my SMB was for baja trips, i love the van , i love baja, and i do love solo trips, so i just can't be deterred at this point. That being said, i have a bit of experience travelling (been living a nomadic life for the past 5 years), a bit of good common sense, two dogs (one is a german shepard, totally used to baja and being on guard), and i'm trying to prepare myself as best i can, i really appreciate all of you fellow SMBers advice though, please keep it coming. Let's see if i can figure out how to post pics.

it's nothing fancy, but damn i love my rig.

thanks again,
Lisa
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #17

You're not nuts, Lisa -- go for it!

It's easy to get worked up after reading crime stories from afar, but once you get down there (and away from the border and the populated northwest area), you'll find yourself surveying your vast beautiful surroundings in which you haven't seen another soul for days and wonder what you were worrying about! The remote areas aren't exactly crawling with people looking for trouble. The few people I have met have been extremely nice, inviting, and friendly.

Lots of excellent tips in this thread, everyone!
-- Geoff
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #18

One final yap from me and I'll be quiet. I installed a Lowrance Baja 540c nav in my Sporty for this last trip. It was freak'n astounding. I bought the PCI Baja map for it. Mexicali was off a bit, but the rest was spot-on. I mean, the freak'n Green Door Trail was on the map! It was a great investment for Baja. Also, a $100 Zodi camp shower fro Wal-Hell was a good choice if you don't already have that shower thing worked out. Finally, even if you have a fridge, I'd rec you bring a big cooler. Go ahead and just ask me why
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Lisa,

Are you going to have some sort of communication connection so youcan send us updates and we can keep up with all the fun you are having ???

...and what do you do that gets you all winter off ?

Have fun.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #20

Thanks again for all the votes of confidence...i'm feeling better about this solo trip than i was a few days ago, that's for sure!!

Geophysical survey work throughout nevada and/or other states/countries buys me as much time off as i want (work a few months, take a few months off), so my van is a part time home. sounds more glamorous than the reality though. (love/hate relationship)

anyways, a few van pics...again, nothing fancy.

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0512.jpg  
lisajsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote