Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Advice on southern Sierra

I'm looking into a trip in the Southern Sierra later this month. I'll probably come in through the east, up 190. Like to visit Kennedy Meadows, some of the big (fat) sequoias, stick a toe in the Kern, Kern Plateau, etc.

Lots of roads up there, so seeking advice on camping and driving stuff (nothing very hairy; only one vehicle). Haven't decided whether to exit via the Kern drainage (I imagine anything near water and south to Isabella will be mobbed), or to exit down to 395.

Anyone ever get into Monache Meadows? heard that jeep road isn't suitable for big vehicles these days, having been eroded recently.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Rob

Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Advice on southern Sierra

Monache Meadows is awesome and totally doable in a SMB, at least it was last year. We ride motorcycles up there at in the middle of summer when the deserts are too hot.

There is a small campground at the end of Monache called River Camp. Very isolated with some great fishing.

Some good pictures of the area and the campground on this forum.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/mon...ws-106411.html
Old 06-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

Dang! I hadn't seen a golden trout since I was up behind Whitney in the 70s. Awesome fish, and thanks for the photos. Looks like a must.

Rob
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Me and a buddy just did Sherman Pass as a road trip... not what I expected but the views were awesome. Sure different than up where I generally off road in the central Sierra. It was a very long drive and the grades were almost extreme in nature due to their length. I was glad I topped off outside Porterville. Not sure if there is any diesel anywhere on Sherman Pass; maybe around Kennedy Meadows??? Driving the upper Great Western Divide section of 190 looked more similar to my local Sierra's and we did drive past a grove a big trees. Didn't have a clue we were about to drop way down in altitude and then have to climb back up (never looked at a map). The drop to Sherman Pass was similar looking to Kings Canyon. There were several trails off 190 after the crest but we didn't run any of em. Stayed outside Troy Meadows in a dispersed camping area. We settled for that site because we were short on time and nobody was around. I noticed many trail signs were marked dead end and wondered how many led to nice camps. I figure this area might get a lot of use by dirt bikers but was surprised more weren't up there during Father's day week. Maybe they came in after Friday. This was a spur of the moment trip. I didn't research anything and to tell the truth, Kennedy Meadows was one of those "Oh, now I know where this place is" moments in time. I'd go back if I was down in that area again but it is an expensive run.
I'd also like to hear from those who have visited the area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote