Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #91

Re: Alaska 2014

We read that mosquitos would be bad, but we are aware that they bother some more than others. East of the Mississippi? The worst we have experienced were in Glacier National Park. Anyway, we have a screen door on our Sprinter that you have seen. We also purchased head nets from Campmor.

We are on our way to Alaska!!! Left yesterday from West Lafayette, IN. Weighed our SMB for the first time. 10,900 lbs all loaded with full diesel, water, and propane. Glad we paid extra for the 11,030 lb GVWR.

We are now in Madison, WI visiting family. Tomorrow we head west. We will head north at Great Falls, Mt, driving by Calgary and Jasper on our way to Prince Rupert where we catch the ferry on June 3. We will have time to stop in the mountains for a few days, and time to avoid any snow storms.

See you in Alaska

David and Janet

Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #92
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Safe travels! That's going to be our route as well, post up any nice campground finds along the way, as we're winging it. We hope to see you in Haines, we have shortened our stay there a day or 2 to have more time in Wrangell/St Alias. I think we overlap on the 23rd, see you up there!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #93

Safe travels and have a great time Dave! Can't wait to hear about it and see some pics.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #94

We will be leaving May 31. We will be traveling slowly, hiking and road bicycling along the way. After visiting Glacier we will cross at Chief's Mountain. We intend to travel the Ice Fields Parkway so are killing time to avoid ice and snow. We will head up the Alcan and on to Fairbanks before winding up at Denali. In anticipation of possible bugs I installed the Sprinter Side Screen from Upscale Automotive. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the entire panel is zippered and can be completely removed when not needed. With the panel removed, operation of the door is totally unaffected.
Everyone have safe travels and see you in Denali if not somewhere on the road!

Jim and Jackie

-light of the morning, looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain

2012 SMB Sprinter, 2500 EB Tall, Brilliant Silver Metalic
12vdc no inverter, 180 w Permanent Solar, 120 w Portable Solar
Queen platform bed
(Delivery Taken 7/23/12) NM 31357RVB
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBea
We will be leaving May 31. We will be traveling slowly, hiking and road bicycling along the way. After visiting Glacier we will cross at Chief's Mountain. We intend to travel the Ice Fields Parkway so are killing time to avoid ice and snow.

Jim and Jackie
In Glacier, the Going To The Sun road is fantastic but most likely won't be fully open until June 20th. You should be able to go partially up it from both sides. I've attached a map that shows one of my favourite routes from Glacier to the Ice Fields Parkway. Excluding Going to the sun road due to time of year.
Not sure if your looking to do any backroads (gravel) with your sprinter so i've only included a paved route.
I can post some pictures from that route if interested.

Paved - http://mapq.st/RRMONF
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #96

Quote:
I've attached a map that shows one of my favourite routes from Glacier to the Ice Fields Parkway. Excluding Going to the sun road due to time of year.
Not sure if your looking to do any backroads (gravel) with your sprinter so i've only included a paved route.

Thanks gnty, I have updated my route on Streets and Trips. I did not really want to go through Calgary anyway. I assume that fuel will be available in most places along the way.

JIM

-light of the morning, looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain

2012 SMB Sprinter, 2500 EB Tall, Brilliant Silver Metalic
12vdc no inverter, 180 w Permanent Solar, 120 w Portable Solar
Queen platform bed
(Delivery Taken 7/23/12) NM 31357RVB
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #97

This is my 4th Alaska trip, and I've never had trouble getting fuel. I start to look for fuel when I have 150-200 miles left in the tank.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBea
Quote:
I've attached a map that shows one of my favourite routes from Glacier to the Ice Fields Parkway. Excluding Going to the sun road due to time of year.

Thanks gnty, I have updated my route on Streets and Trips. I did not really want to go through Calgary anyway. I assume that fuel will be available in most places along the way.

JIM
Ya unless you have a reason you'd like to stop in Calgary then its best to be avoided. And when your making the effort to enjoy the drive and come up through Glacier, then getting on the #2 up to Calgary just isn't very scenic compared to that far westen route. That route from Glacier to Jasper is gorgeous all the way, it will be one of your highlights if you haven't been!

As for fuel, On the route provided starting with Glacier and in order heading north, there is fuel West Glacier, Browning (sketchy place), Saint Mary's, Sometimes Babb (just before the chief mtn hwy turn), Waterton, Pincher Creek, Beaver Mines, Longview, Canmore, and Banff.

As for even farther north, Mike is right, there is no problem finding fuel as long as your filling well before you need to just to be sure. We carried extra fuel on our Alaska/Yukon trip the other year and luckily never needed it. I did find in the fall that many stations were seasonal and closed at the beginning of sept.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #99
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

All good info, I think it's inspired me to look at changing our route and go through west glacier instead of Calgary. The only issue is time, will have to check on how much it adds going that route, we have 7 days to make it to PR to catch our ferry.
Another note: I have heard that it is possible to run into bad fuel (diesel) up in Alaska, most notably water getting into the tanks from spring runoff, it was suggested I get a water separator, I think there is one on the van, but I've never checked it, anybody run into issues up there?
Leaving next Friday!!!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #100
Site Team

You're fuel bowl (fuel filter housing) is designed to collect water. There is a (yellow) valve on the back of the filter housing that opens a drain on the filter housing. When you star to see fuel coming out the drain instead of water, close the valve (best to have two people). Good enough? Not sure.

Note: the drain does NOT go all the way down to the bottom of the engine. Why? Who the hell knows. It's best to attach some fuel line so it brings the drain down where you can have a catch bucket.

Herb