Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #111
Site Team

Re: Alaska 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
We will have to wait and see iff I make it to Alaska or not. Van is in the shop with fuel in the oil (1 gallon in 200 miles!). Tech thinks I need new heads. Pull the engine, tear down, replace heads and put it back together ~$10K.

For now I'm driving to Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and home with my Jetta and tent. How archaic is that? Damn, I miss my van already. Time to pack the Jetta and see how it goes.

Mike
Mike, what's with you and major vehicle repairs every time you take a long trip? I think you are jinxed. Hopefully you and your Jetta will still be able to stop by our place on your way through Wyoming. We have a warm bed (with electric blanket) waiting for you.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #112

Dave,

The fuel routes through the head to the injectors. A crack or a too rough surface can allow fuel to leak into the oil. The bad part is they have to pull the engine out the front to work on it. They decided not to try and pull the body because of SMB modifications (propane, wiring, etc.). It is possible that my head has had an issue since new, because I have never had to add oil between 7500 mile changes. Seems most 6.0's use some oil - I dunno.

Mac,

I'm following my existing itinerary. Late 27th or early 28th I should be in Evanston. Looking forward to seeing you again. I guess my itinerary changes after two weeks, when I drive back to CA to (hopefully) get my van before turning North. At least the Jetta uses less than half the fuel of the van (18mpg vs. 48mpg). And it goes faster!

But, the van has better sleeping quarters than a tent/sleeping bag, a nice refrig, a furnace for those cold mornings, indoor facilities, more privacy, etc.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #113
Site Team

Looking forward to seeing you. We'll keep the light on for you. Let me know if you need directions. Watch out for deer, elk and moose in the canyons at night between Salt Lake City and our home. When you get off the highway in Evanston and head toward our home there always are deer on the road to our place year round. I'll pull my Sportsmobile out and park it in the driveway so you can't miss our place.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #114
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Mike, you must love to drive! Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa? What could possibly bring you that far east? Maybe we'll cross paths in Laramie, we leave, at some point, next fri, the 30th, at least that's the plan. If you're headed our way before that, drop me a line. I am still tinkering with the van, the projects never cease! And yes, if only our SMB's went like our TDI's, wouldn't that be the cake! It's a shame I haven't been able to fully realize the potential of our little Golf on a road trip, we always opt for the rig, but as you said, "the van has better sleeping quarters than a tent/sleeping bag, a nice refrig, a furnace for those cold mornings, indoor facilities, more privacy, etc." Amen to that brother!
See you out there.....or somewhere else
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #115

Sorry about the van troubles, Mike. We know all about that, because ours is giving trouble too. Going across the cattle guard at Saint Mary Campground, Glacier NP, the vibration shook something loose and shut down all non-essential power-using accessories on the Sprinter including A/C, wipers, headlights, windows. I checked fuses and wiring and could not find a problem. One of the trouble codes is P0070, fault reading air temperature (not sure if inside or outside). I don't think I can fix that so we are headed to Calgary where there are two Sprinter dealers. We are now in Canada at Lee Creek county park, a nice place with very fast WiFi.

Saint Mary was also very nice. We had a great walk on the Beaver Pond loop, about 3 miles on a beautiful day with just enough clouds for great photos of the mountains and beaver houses.

Saturday we headed to Many Glacier, but the campground was not open yet and the weather was not so good so after watching moose, mountain goats, and bighorn sheep we headed for Canada. Got lots of questions at the border. Would have been turned back if I had ever had a DWI.

David
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #116

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadave
Got lots of questions at the border. Would have been turned back if I had ever had a DWI.

David
Happened to a co-worker of mine on a company trip to Lake Louise. At the airport, they sent him back and the other 40 employees continued on. It was pretty funny at the time.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #117
Site Team

So Canada won't let in anyone with a DWI on their record, or a DWI that's not even on their record anymore, but we let people like Justin Bieber stay in our country? WTF?

Herb
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #118

I have read that it is up to the immigration officer whether or not he asks about DWI and what he does after you answer. This was the first time I have been asked. He also pressed very hard about whether I had a gun. We were not searched.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadave
Sorry about the van troubles, Mike. We know all about that, because ours is giving trouble too. Going across the cattle guard at Saint Mary Campground, Glacier NP, the vibration shook something loose and shut down all non-essential power-using accessories on the Sprinter including A/C, wipers, headlights, windows. I checked fuses and wiring and could not find a problem. One of the trouble codes is P0070, fault reading air temperature (not sure if inside or outside). I don't think I can fix that so we are headed to Calgary where there are two Sprinter dealers. We are now in Canada at Lee Creek county park, a nice place with very fast WiFi.

Saint Mary was also very nice. We had a great walk on the Beaver Pond loop, about 3 miles on a beautiful day with just enough clouds for great photos of the mountains and beaver houses.

Saturday we headed to Many Glacier, but the campground was not open yet and the weather was not so good so after watching moose, mountain goats, and bighorn sheep we headed for Canada. Got lots of questions at the border. Would have been turned back if I had ever had a DWI.

David
Sorry to hear about the recent issues and having to change your plans a bit. Are you going to head up the 6 and then the 22 to Calgary or the 2? Please let me know if you need anything while passing through.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #120
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

They're more worried aboot DWI's than having a criminal record? Ya, tell them they can have Bieber back, eh...
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote