Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #11

Re: Nissan SMB

Thanks for the update. Tis the season to start getting ready.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #12

As you may have guessed, I'm limiting my posts to Nissan SMB rather than other "threads."

For anyone interested in Nissan NVs as a possible chassis, here are a couple of links.

For those who work with or without work vans...
http://nissannvforum.com

For those with large families and/or like user reviews and Sprinter comparisons. Funny stuff...
http://www.vitafamiliae.com/nissan

I share the opinion that the Nissan is a great drive. Didn't expect the seats to be so comfortable on long drives. The huge bin between the seats is great for driving, but really limits movement from front to back when parked. My wife uses it as seat.
radin2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by radin2son
As you may have guessed, I'm limiting my posts to Nissan SMB rather than other "threads."
Don't see why. As long as it doesn't turn into Nissan vs. X bashing... I mean we let people with slide in truck campers post.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #14

Bashing isn't intended; rather, I thought it might be easier for those looking for info on the Nissan SMB. Plug Nissan into the SMB search and you get... well, you'll see. Most SMB forums relate to 4x4 and Fords, and threads seem to work their way in that direction as well. There is one for Sprinters, which I found helpful when we considered one, new and used. Still, I read just about everything posted and glean what I can. What works for one may work for another camper van or slide in.
Another thought about the Nissan NV: It is one of the worst promoted vehicles ever, unless I'm not reading the right "white van" journals SMB also has not promoted it well. According to the Dubin, CA, dealer, Alan built up a high top NV and shopped it around. 8 dealers sell them. I have no idea how many were built, maybe 12? 2 sold? In a way, I'm caught in the middle of a gap between SMB Fresno and Nissan. An example is not getting the after purchase SMB report card. Not that important in the long run as SMB will deal with problems related to the conversion and Nissan theirs; however, Nissan customer services couldn't answer my questions about NV recalls. There are 3 pending recalls, air bags, oil filter/cooler bracket bolt and the rear door latch. Only the rear door latch applies to my VIN #, according to the local NV dealer. The latch will be fixed next oil change.
radin2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by radin2son
Another thought about the Nissan NV: It is one of the worst promoted vehicles ever
I think their mistake is calling it a van. It's a full size cargo pickup. It's the small Ford transit in large. An enclosed delivery truck. Something new, a hybrid idea who's time has come, or whatever. But say "van", and it raises the bile and one wonders what could have been.

SMB has dabbled before, they had a short run with class C, but they don't build box delivery trucks, the small Transits, nor Astro minivans. Thus, I question whether they have any business building the Nissans- it really doesn't appeal to their market ("van") any more than Class Cs or the Astros do. Again, the misnomer being "van"- I wonder if SMB would have even gotten a body if they called it a "truck".