Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Alstrom Point

My first introduction to Alstrom Point was from a photograph I had seen at an art fair in Flagstaff. The artist had a gorgeous triptych of Gunsight Butte at dusk printed on large clear coated aluminum panels. It left such an impression on me that I decided I had to go there and create my own version. After doing some research I realized that the trip wasn't just a short hike from a parking lot off the road, like the infamous Horseshoe Bend. It was a full blown adventure, much like Toroweap or Point Sublime in the Grand Canyon. Such adventures require some research and careful planning for both weather and road conditions. Travel too early in the season and you run the risk of road closures due to mud & snow, too late in the season and it's well, hot. Hot and no access to the water. I decided to take the trip in mid-March during Spring Break, so it could coincide with my girlfriend Kristi's time off from teaching school.

It was also the inaugural official maiden voyage for the completion of a dream project.; I just completed a camper van build.Its a four -wheeled drive Ford Econoline van that I installed a pop top from a VW Eruovan Westfalia. You can find the build out detailed in my blog:http://www.wadeatblogspot.blogspot.c...-build_21.html After a year of painting, welding and cabinet building it was time to go on our first adventure. For fifteen years Kristi and I have been camper-vanning in a 76 Vw Campmobile. It was great, but this new van will let us go even further off the beaten track, in more comfort and with more convenience than before. It wasn't the shake down cruise, that was back in October to the North Rim. No, this was the full on sink or swim Atlantic crossing. Alstrom Point was the first night's destination on a loop trip through the Escalante -Grand Staircase and Capitol Reef areas in southern Utah.

To read more about the trip please see my Photography blog here:... http://agassizimaging.blogspot.com/2...tom-point.html

wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Alstrom Point

Very nice report and beautiful pictures. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing! I just checked out your gallery and I'm blown away. Fabulous stuff! My favorites are Mobius Arch and Snowy cabin, though all of your arch pics are amazing.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

Greta pic. Came sooooo close to camping there earlier this year!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #5

I loooooove that spot. I've been there to Alstrom Point / Romana Mesa twice, in 2001 and 2005. I need to go back.

Next time I'm also going to try to check out this nearby spot overlooking Lake Powell, before which I chickened out on my 2001 trip: (GPS: 37.0783, -111.2177)

-- Geoff
Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

Fantastic pictures Wade! Thanks for sharing. Given you penchant for photography have you been out to White Pocket?

How's the new suspension treating you?

Joe
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

Thanks guys for looking and commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Fantastic pictures Wade! Thanks for sharing. Given you penchant for photography have you been out to White Pocket? How's the new suspension treating you? Joe
Hi Joe, the suspension mods have worked better than expected. I've taken it through its paces and so far am really happy with it. I don't think my dog likes it much, though. He can't get in or out of the van by himself because of the lift, and won't stay in his dog bed, so he kind of surfs the rough parts...

Yeah, I've tried a couple of times to get to White Pocket but wanted to do Coyote Buttes at the same time, and missed getting a permit each time. I almost made it there last September, but had a transmission tragedy in Marble Canyon and had to be towed back to Joes for another Jasper(<3000 miles). Hope you have better luck with your Jasper motor (yeah I heard.)

Wade
Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

Damn, I'm sitting in a restaurant in Cochella looking at a map and wondering where to go next. Since I'm pretty close now, I'm definately going to check out some of your spots next week. Since I'm new to the area, could you give me a little more info on what might be doable this time of year? If your really feeling generous, some GPS coordinates would be great too. First though, I'm headed to Henderson to catch the Best in the desert race. Thanks for the inspiration. Anyone care to join me?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo
Thanks guys for looking and commenting!

Quote:
Fantastic pictures Wade! Thanks for sharing. Given you penchant for photography have you been out to White Pocket? How's the new suspension treating you? Joe
Hi Joe, the suspension mods have worked better than expected. I've taken it through its paces and so far am really happy with it. I don't think my dog likes it much, though. He can't get in or out of the van by himself because of the lift, and won't stay in his dog bed, so he kind of surfs the rough parts...

Yeah, I've tried a couple of times to get to White Pocket but wanted to do Coyote Buttes at the same time, and missed getting a permit each time. I almost made it there last September, but had a transmission tragedy in Marble Canyon and had to be towed back to Joes for another Jasper(<3000 miles). Hope you have better luck with your Jasper motor (yeah I heard.)

Wade
I seem to be spending a lot there lately. I got some good tips on smoking a turkey as well. Those guys know their meat!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
I seem to be spending a lot there lately. I got some good tips on smoking a turkey as well. Those guys know their meat!
That's so funny... some of the best BBQ can be found in a garage.... every once in a while I'll call just to see what's for lunch...then show up.