Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Anyone going to the Abbortsford air show?

https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/ev...18-performers/

After witnessing a top fuel, nitro dragster and thinking the only thing that ever came close was a Blue Angel flying 70 feet overhead, I got home to discover that they are flying next weekend in Abbotsford B.C. So, just like last weekend, I'm going on a couple days notice with little to no planning. Last night was kind of a bummer though. On the way home from the drags, for the first time ever, I was rousted from my intended overnight spot in the back of a fairgrounds. Shortly after I arrived, I was told the gates would be locked, and the only way to get them opened again was to call the sherrif department. Rather than get locked in, I moved on but my second landing spot at a very crowded hospital parking lot was a poor choice. At 0300, the hospital rent a cop was knocking on the van. Despite plenty of other cars and trucks in the lot, I moved on. I'd prefer to avoid a repeat performance, so does anyone know of somewhere I can park overnight near Abbotsford? Anyone going to the show? I'll bring beer.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #2

Had a great time, glad I could meet up with Jeff and his wife! Was also an easy excuse to babysit my own kids Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180811-WA0000.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	22273Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_131133.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	22274Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_120822.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	22275
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

It was a fantastic show, with the Blue Angels and the Snow Birds flying three times. The A-10 (known as the Warthog cuz some think it's pretty ugly) put on an amazing demonstration of speed and agility. The last thing on earth someone in a tank wants to see is one of those bearing down on them. The gun poking out front is one serious piece of armament. One aerobatic pilot showed serious skill, forcing his biplane to twist and turn in ways airplanes were never envisioned to fly. Friday night was a totally new experience for me. I've never seen anyone set their plane on fire on purpose before. Well, perhaps not really on fire, but I've never seen fireworks spouting from the tail of a plane. It started with a stream of fire like a comet's tail coming out the back as he did stunts, a 100ft long Roman candle of sparks and flames. The next plane was launching ground based type fireworks from about 800ft up. Then, to wrap up the day, a great fireworks display with a finale that lit up the entire sky. It was great to catch up with Dave (Abitbi) and to meet his kids who seemed to have a great time too. All in all, a terrific weekend. On to the the next adventure
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6416.JPG   IMG_6417.JPG   IMG_6419.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Nice, I do love airshows. I fly RC aircraft but it's always cool to see the real McCoy's in action. How close were you guys camping to the air show itself?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #5

We put our chairs in front of the vans, and had excellent seats while Mrs A/T watched from the comfort of the passenger seat. We watched the entire Friday show from there, including the fireworks planes, and ground based fireworks. Sat, I walked into the show, about three minutes from the campground, and hopped onto a shuttle that took me to the static displays. From there, I wandered for several hours and watched the Blue Angels from the flight line. Sunday, we again sat out front, but departed mid day to avoid the thousands of cars that would clog the highways. All in all, it was a fantastic time.
Advanced 4wd
Old 08-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Would have made a good PNW greet and meet. Looked like you guys had plenty of room.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Would have made a good PNW greet and meet. Looked like you guys had plenty of room.
I'm just guessing, but there were many hundreds if not a thousand camping rigs with room for that many more again. I expect to go again next year. Meanwhile, the Hillsboro Ore. air show is coming up at the end of Sept and I'll post something when it gets closer. Hilsboro is where Mgmetalworks and Jsweezy live along with some other members here. In addition, an inmate from ADVrider has offered to host an overnight spot, so a meet and greet might work there too.
Advanced 4wd