Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #41

Re: Anza Borrego over New years (Was Mojave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I am considering it for sure guys. Van is finally out of the shop and I hope for good now. I just got to keep my buddy Don's wife from sticking needles in the Voodoo van doll she has of my rig If I leave out for down there by myself I probably won't have any trouble.
No, you gotta bring Don.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #42
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam

No, you gotta bring Don.
I know, he buys the beer!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #43

Hi Chris, (and everyone else)
My wife and I just picked up our New 4WD Sportsmobile last weekend and we would love to join this outing. We have a commitment in The Lost Hills area on Dec. 27 & 28. So we'd be able to show up on the evening of the 29th. We are brand new at this and would love the advice and company of more experienced Sportsmobilers. We'd be bringing a dog along as well - a nice, friendly whippet.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #44

The group of interested parties is developing nicely. Last count there are 8 campers committed and 2-3 on the maybe list. I hope to have a list I can PM to everyone by the end of next week which will include the camp spot chords. We do need a volunteer to work for Daveb. I don't know what he does exactly but if you aren't busy over new years let him know.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #45

The chosen spot looks fantastic! Does anyone know if it is 2WD-able? 2WD without a lift? (Not that I would blame you all for going someplace only 4WD could get you!)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #46

Viva I believe this is 2wd accessible. I'll let someone else way in but I think one of the posts addressed that. You might need to air down a bit for the sand but trust me there will be a multitude of on board compressors available to air you up! If no one responds I will find out and let you know.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #47

I did see someone mention that, but.... still figured I'd ask since now that it's for sure, maybe there'd be some more detail.

I don't "get around" that much off road - I've never "aired down" my tires at all! (I like to get out and explore though, so maybe it's something I should learn.)

I'm not sure I'd be able to come yet, but it looks really neat.

Might be dangerous though: Next thing you know I'd be wanting a 4WD conversion

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #48

The camp is located along Fish Creek Sandstone Canyon Trail.
If you have the Backcountry Adventures Book it is Southeast Section Trail #30.
It is rated as a difficulty (Class) #3, But I think that rating is really for the section beyond where the camp will be located. The trail starts out as a Class 1 and turns into a Class 2 trail after the Wind Caves. I have seen 2wd sedans on this trail. The only obstacle is loose gravelly sand if you get off the track.

Here is a description of the rating systems for Class 1 - 3
Class 1
The trail is graded dirt but suitable a normal passenger vehicle. It usually has gentle grades, is fairly wide, and has very shallow water crossings (if any).

Class 2
High-clearance vehicles are preferred but not necessary. These trails are dirt roads, but they may have rocks, grades, water crossings, or ruts that make clearance a concern in a normal passenger vehicle. The trails are fairly wide, making passing possible at almost any point along the trail. Mud is not a concern under normal weather conditions.

Class 3
High-clearance 4WDs are preferred, but any high-clearance vehicle is acceptable. Expect a rough road surface; mud and sand are possible but will be easily passable. You may encounter rocks up to 6 inches in diameter, a loose road surface, and shelf roads, though these will be wide enough for passing or will have adequate pull-offs.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #49

We camped in that same general area about 10 years ago. A ranger who was coming on duty after being off a few days stopped to say hi while we were having lunch and told us about a good place to camp by ourselves up a dead-end canyon. It was and we didn't see anyone while we were there. When we headed back the way we came in, we saw her tire tracks in the sand...she came up that canyon just far enough to see that we were still there and apparently okay and then back-tracked. We never saw her...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #50

I hope you don't mind a last minute addition. I have just gotten all of my calendars cleared and appropriate approvals

I'm a new member to the SMB family and would like to join the gathering New Years. I'll be driving down from Central Cal.
Driveabout is offline   Reply With Quote