Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #21
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Nice trip there Jeff. As per the sideways photos and photo loading, I’ve been using Tapatalk, much easier to load them directly from your phone photos, no messing around and the text is formatted for phones. It’s been a while since signing up but I think there’s a free version and a paid with no adds, I can access most of the forums I visit, including expo, you can add the ones you like to a list for faster access…..travel safe!

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
In over 24 hours, I have not seen or heard one single vehicle. https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/
Pretty much the norm around where I live and camp. Why I chose to live in outback Nevada 50 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090274er.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	40013
Old 06-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #23

Garage
Definitely nice to take the road less traveled.

I carry an extra starter.

I would carry a chain saw, but with limited space (obviously), the need hasn’t been high enough so far to find space or remove something else. I do have a couple hand saws.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #24

I did this trip 2 years ago but went south to north. See lots of reports that some sections are still not passable due to snow.

Enjoy your trip!!

Rob
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:43 PM   #25

Two more great days of fantastic scenery and some challenging roads. Last night was super windy and being camped deep in the forest I was concerned about falling trees, either blocking the road or worse, landing on the van, but it was just fine, although there were hundreds of trees that had fallen across the road recently. Fortunately, it was like someone with a chainsaw was just in front of me since lots of them were freshly cut with wood chips covering the road. Once again I had two options the easier or the harder route, so naturally I took the hard route. At the beginning of the route it passed what I can only describe as a community of meth labs. There were countless dilapidated trailers, abandoned motor homes, campers, wrecked cars, busses with plywood in the windows, piles of trash and folks giving me dirty looks as passed by, it was pretty scary. Being Sunday the traffic increased dramatically, I probably saw 10 trucks and as many motorcycles but the biggest surprise was the mountain bike race. On a steep and rutted downhill there were probably 30 or more huffing and puffing their way to the top, mad respect for them. Some of the ruts were so deep that if I didn’t drive on the high wheel track, the van would bottom out. Actually, it did once and I had a hard time getting through it. I made 108 miles today in 12 hours with an average speed of about 8.5mph and had snow and rain. Fun stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
D3F4D28F-C04A-4C3F-936E-F9A24021E47C.jpeg   04962B8D-37E9-469B-926F-6E2DA56DDD5B.jpeg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
I See lots of reports that some sections are still not passable due to snow. Rob
Fortunately the snow is melting rapidly, the rivers are swollen.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #27

Hey Arctic, what are those bars coming off your brush guard and attaching to the gutter above the cab? I can’t say I have ever seen that. Do they serve a purpose or are they just eye candy? Pretty neat!

Love the trip report!
Old 06-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #28

The bars allow tree limbs to slide up to the top of the van and over the solar panels. I still need to fabricate a couple bars that will go from one side to the other for lights and a roof top basket.
Advanced 4wd
Old 06-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #29

Quote:
The bars allow tree limbs to slide up to the top of the van and over the solar panels. I still need to fabricate a couple bars that will go from one side to the other for lights and a roof top basket.

Was wondering and thinking the same thing. Cool AND functional. How about that!!??

Great trip report.

'06 E350 6.0 PSD EB-50 4x4
'04 KTM 525 EXC. '12 SkiDoo Summit ETEC 800
'76 Ford Hi-Boy, '72 Baja Bug, '83 CJ 7
GunniLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:10 PM   #30

Quote:
It was another great day. I made it to Lake Chelan, fueled up and stoped at a beautiful lake side park for lunch. From there it was back to the trail. The map showed two routes with a notation on one that said “overgrown but passable” so of course I chose that one. Well after an hour of steep uphill in four low I got near a section labeled on the map as “the jungle” it quickly became obvious that it was “passable” if you were on a motorcycle, or you had a chainsaw, a winch and a lot of ambition, and I lack the ambition to work that hard. So, turning around on the narrow trail was another interesting challenge requiring a 19 point turn. It required me to move a foot or so and then get out to judge how far i can move in the opposite direction. Half way through that cluster, the starter failed to engage the flywheel for the first time ever. Oh great, if I continue going South, it’s two days to the next little town or an hour and a half back to the lake. A couple hours and $190 later I had a new starter and headed back up the mountain to a great camp spot overlooking the lake. I wonder what tomorrow will bring?
I've not done any of the BDR routes in any vehicle but have done quite a bit of 2 wheel adventure riding in N GA, NC, TN, 3 different weeks in CO and 2/3rds ish of the KAT (KY adventure trail) blah blah blah ....one day i decided to call the BDR and ask them about trying a BDR in my E350 EB 4x4 van. Even before the call, i knew the BDR folks had said and having heard from many riders who had done various BDR routes that the Mid Atlantic BDR was by far the easiest from a offroad technical standpoint. That said they still didn't really fully endorse a full size 4x4 van attempt but said that the BDRs were always meant to be a 2 wheel "thang" although the routes are for legally licensed vehicles.

Has anyone else done/attempted any BDRs since this thread originated?
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote