Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #1

Baja, 2 weeks! No sleep till then. Words of wisdom please!

Two weeks in Baja with my lovely lady (28 weeks along) and our two dogs. 2004 E350 EB Salem Kroger 4 x4 with lots of goodies. Just finished up Death Valley and now were on to fry some bigger fish, here we come Mexico!

We went last year in a Subaru and made it as far down as Conception. We stopped in at Bahia De Los Angeles, Bahia De Los Ojos and Bahia de Conception.

This year we would love maximum seclusion and unbeaten/somewhat unbeaten paths. We enjoy remote beach camping, fishing, spearing/freediving, kayaking (mello, no overnighters) and everything else baja.

Already we are thinking of the following: Vizcaino Peninnsula, punta san francisquito, peninsula conception (western shore of the bay).

ANY and ALL advice regarding these places or others you may suggest would be so much appreciated. Also ANY general advice on Barging Baja- I am all ears please! I am not a stranger to the culture, but if you've got some tips- lets here it! Thanks so much everyone!

[photo][/photo]

khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

Re: Baja, 2 weeks! No sleep till then. Words of wisdom please!

I am sure you will get tons of feed back

sent you a pm

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Here's my dos centavos:

We really like Gonzaga Bay. And given that the road through there will be finished soon, now is probably the time to spend some quality time there if you have the inclination. I haven't been this time of year, I hear it can be hit and miss with the wind. Great fishing and kayaking, just really keep an eye on the weather. The Sea of Cortez can turn really nasty this time of year if you get a bit too far offshore. Around the corner from Gonzaga is Calamajue, which is supposed to be some of the best fishing in the entire Sea of Cortez, BTW. From photos it looks a bit barren for my tastes but my friends rave about it.

I also like the Punta Abreojos area. Not really remote but it really feels like it. We did a quick trip down a few weeks back. The town is a lot bigger than I remember but the estero is still really nice to yak in and has some great fishing. Very windy place, though.

Santa Rosalillita is also nice. There is a nice point you can 4x4 out to north of town. A nice place to launch a yak and some of the best halibut fishing anywhere. I haven't been on the Pacific side between there and El Rosario. I hear the roads out to places like Canoas are challenging but rewarding.

You might also check bajanomad.com. You can get some really good info from some old baja salts.

Salud!
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

There were many spots we enjoyed along the way, but very memorable for us was Punta Chivato north of Mulege down a 30 odd mile dirt washboard road. We had met some guys further south who invited us up there, they had a boat and we went out each morning to catch bait fish which we used to catch a few yellowtail. We also enjoyed digging around during low tide for some "chocolate" clams at the point. This couple intoduced us to some of the other people on the beach that travel down there around the same time every year. We all sat around at night swapping stories around a beach fire. Can't get better than that. There is a very nice quiet resort down the beach to grab a dinner or drink. You may want to check around to see if the dunes are still open to campers/rv'ers, there was some talk of limiting access. Bring hoses and some t's, there was a daisy chain of water hoses from a source up the hill from the beach. I will dig up notes on our travels to find more if I can. Enjoy!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #5

This forum rocks, thanks a ton everyone, keep em coming got another 10 days or so before take-off trying to put it all together! Cannot wait!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

Do you have the new baja almanac??

great stuff and pretty up to date

www.baja-almanac.com
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #7

Since you have so much time and are heading so far South, I highly recommend spending a night or two at San Ignacio lagoon for the grey whales. Your timing is perfect and it is an experience you will never forget. We stayed at Kuyima which was excellent. You wil not have the isolation you are looking for at San Ignacio lagoon, you must stay at one of the camps and and go on their pangas. If you are surfing, send me a PM and I have some other suggestions for you as well. Have a great, safe trip.

Did I mention that I highly recommend San Ignacio?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #8

I second the recommendation for the Baja Almanac, and whales watching with Kuyima...

http://octopup.org/mexico2005

-- Geoff
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #9

Like others... Baja-Almanac!!!

Mission San Borja is a nice place to stay.

Vizcaino Peninnsula is cool. The sand is, as every says is really soft. Just before you reach the beach, on the south/west side of the road a track goes to the west. And it takes you almost all the way out to the tip. Make sure you walk all around the dunes. I am sure it would be especially good after a storm.

San Evaristo is a nice little beach a ways north of La Paz. The canyon leading in from the east is amazing.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #10

Almanac has been purchased thanx to ya'll!!! Everyone's notes here are such an amazing resource- the more the better whenever you're heading off to a foreign land (even if it's just south of the border, it aint no walk in the park either). Thanks again everyone, I am still sorting and sifting through baja info and probably wont know anything final until we're there (you know how it goes). Thanks for all your contributions to our next adventure- will post pics on our return. If theres anyone else out there still with more tips, advice and the like- I'm listenin!!!
Thx,
Khalil