Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #1

Baja 2022

It is 2022 and I am heading back to Baja and it is time to sort my long term camping gear to see what I have and what I need in preparation for loading out the van for the trip. I will posting updates when I can.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #2

Headed to Baja on the 6th for a month or so. Can't wait, first timers. Beaches bit**es.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #3

Wish I could bring my van back down, but such a massive PITA finding a reliable Mexican insurance company that will insure mine for what it's worth AND actually pay out if it gets wrecked or stolen.

Here's one from Bahia de Los Angeles, cool spot
Attached Thumbnails
van bahia de los angeles 2020 (2).jpg  
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #4

I'm insured through Safeco Insurance and I believe they are affiliated with Liberty Mutual. I am insured for $100,000 to replace the van if totaled or stolen. They list it as a 2011 motorhome/4x4 expedition vehicle & I can take it into Baja. I know there are a few of us that use Safeco. I'm still required by Mexico law to have an additional Baja specific liability policy which I get through Discover Baja.

Getting an insurance company to actually pay out seems to be a concern across the board. I do not know of anyone who's actually had to file a claim for a replacement of a van.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
So many unknowns with getting reimbursed for total loss. I had to file a claim to get reimbursed for a tow out of Baja the last trip down through the Mex insurance co, they only covered a portion of it up to $200, but at least it was something.
I will most likely be getting coverage through Baja Bound or Discover Baja? next time, both are legit and are used to insuring large expensive rigs, don’t think it would be an issue, just state the value you’re insuring and make sure you have the rig documents and records showing improvements.
Don’t cheap out on getting full Mexican coverage through a reputable co, I paid around $700 for a stated replacement value of $75K for a month policy.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
So many unknowns with getting reimbursed for total loss. I had to file a claim to get reimbursed for a tow out of Baja the last trip down through the Mex insurance co, they only covered a portion of it up to $200, but at least it was something.
I will most likely be getting coverage through Baja Bound or Discover Baja? next time, both are legit and are used to insuring large expensive rigs, don’t think it would be an issue, just state the value you’re insuring and make sure you have the rig documents and records showing improvements.
Don’t cheap out on getting full Mexican coverage through a reputable co, I paid around $700 for a stated replacement value of $75K for a month policy.
I've been following the On The Road In Mexico FB group for a few years and many of those guys have nightmare stories about fighting various Mexican insurance companies for years to get fully compensated for a legitimate loss. I use State Farm for US coverage and they won't cover a loss in Mexico.

Right now for me, it's just safer and easier to drive my 4Runner around and use a tent if we want to park/camp on a beach down here.
tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:39 PM   #7

I have gone through both Baja Bound and Discover Baja to get full coverage insurance. Have not had use the insurance and hope I never need to.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #8

We are currently in La Ventana. We did the long drive down in three 7 to 9 hour days. It will be a much slower trip home. Currently it is 72 and sunny with a stiff breeze. Will be posting short one minute videos of the trip when I can. Here are the first three.

The Drive South

Calexico to Gonzaga Bay

Conception Bay
Old 02-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #9

Garage
Looks great! I am heading down for the Norra 1000 and then staying for a month afterwards. It has been a long four year Baja hiatus.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:49 PM   #10

When is the race? Hope you have a good trip.