Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Baja Trip end of the month. Looking for advice, ideas.......

Beagle, will PM you also to get in touch, see if we can coordinate a meetup. Looking at crossing at Calexico/Mexicali this year on the 25th. I’d avoid crossing at Tijuana, a complete cluster, unless you really want to see it. Tecate is also a much better choice, and where we crossed last time.
We’re going to be spending most of our time on the gulf side, hanging out, fishing and exploring beaches, coves and dirt roads along the way. We’re following 5 down to 1 through coco’s corner, through Guerrero Negro to Mulegé, punta chivato and Loreto.

Put in a search on the forum for Baja, lots of threads and write ups on trips gone by, here’s one of the better trip reports highlighting some off the beaten track locales-thanks to geoffff

More Baja Fun!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 PM   #12

Timely thread as we are getting ready to head down to Baja for the first time at the end of March. Mexicali east down 5 with stops along the way. Been picking up lots of places to hit off various internet sites and FB groups like Talk Baja. Doing the east side pretty much down to the cabo then back up through Todos Santos then not sure after that. Might get to wine country up north or just head back through Mexicali.

Applying for SENTRI/Global Entry cards for the quick lanes on return and for future foreign travel. I am discovering that at 69, I just cannot remember any Spanish from one minute to the next. Wifey is doing much better so I get to plan where we go and when and she will handle the language part when needed.

So many places to just sit on a beach and have a lot of them circled on various Baja maps. Also getting some GPS tracks from GPS Kevin and keeping the roads to easy 4x4 as wife is of the belief you don't take a 100k vehicle on some of those damn roads. She has had to walk behind me some times so now I have toned it down some.

Gonna be a fun time and probably be there 4 to 5 weeks. Screw all this snow anyway.

Bob
Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #13

Thumbs up Baja

HI,
Lots of good advice. I have been traveling Baja since 1959. Relax, enjoy and don't stress. Once you get past San Quentin you will experience the real Baja. Mexico HW 1 is one of the premier roads on the planet. Some advice: 1. Avoid driving at night because of the free range cattle and critters on the road. 2. Get your permit at the border to pass through Baja Sur 3. Don't miss San Ignacio, Mulege, Guerro Negro and my favorite Santa Rosalia which has an extraordinary history and vibe as it was established by French Mining Companies and features a Church by Eifel and best Chocolate Croissants at the century old French Bakery! Take your time...Love La Paz and Loreto. Not so much of a fan or Cabo. Keep tank full. You will go through military check points but no biggie but keep an eye out for stuff an inspector could pocket as the kid/soldiers are always looking for a way to pad their very meager pay. Don't bother with Ensenada or Mexicali...stay on 1 and you will love it.
chrisflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

Spend some time on baja nomad forums....you will find several tons of info from many that spend a lot of time down here.....

If going down Mex 5 the truck crossing and the attached map will make the trip either way a breeze..skip town altogether and get into country very quickly.....Have done 1 for many years till about 2015...if you want to skip the TJ, Ensenada, San Quintin traffic and hill grinds to the south do 5....

Drive slowly, and enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mexicali border crossing,east.pdf (550.7 KB, 16 views)
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #15

Baja info

My last trip was in June and sure things have changed like they always do. Glad to read Hwy-5 is now paved south to Chapala. When I drove it, it was rough washed out road from Chapala to San Felipe with all the bridges down for repairs from the storms.

Not sure how many people are aware you can now do your visas online for Mexico. I just learned this on my last trip.

The military check points are now interested in bullets as well as firearms, so make sure your vehicle is clean to avoid any delays.

The joy of Baja is finding that special place depending on what appeals to you.
Happy Travels!
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #16

[QUOTE=Sloya;266537]..... Glad to read Hwy-5 is now paved south to Chapala. When I drove it, it was rough washed out road from Chapala to San Felipe with all the bridges down for repairs from the storms. /QUOTE]

Road is quite good now, better than it has ever been, a bypass south of Puertocitos, and the short stretch cross the mountains SW of Cocos is still in work, dirt, and will be for some time.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #17

Baja ideas

Hey, just came back from Baja to home in Monterey.
I do the trip maybe 4 timezs a year in my SMB 6.0 2005..
I would recommend to avoid Tiujuana, go Tecate or Mexicali for crossing.
Use Hwy 5 to drive down to Chapala and then Join Hwy 1, way easier and avoids traffic in Ensenada, Maneadero etc..
Be careful in most towns with STOP asigns, first copas are looking for those ones who do not stop and Mexican drivers will hit you from behind since they do not expect anyone to stop.
I Highly recommend DO NOT drive at night, way too many ropamonig cows, donkeys and horses, plus some cars with no rear lights.

Many camping opportunities, check a book from Terri Church travelers guide to Baja, has some updated information on what is available.

Service for Diesel FORD is quite difficult to find down there.

In case of trouble ping me and I may be able to provide some contacts in the area in case of need.
I have a house in La Ribera and my house care guy (local guy) can provide some help if needed.
jquevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #18

Baja

I too will be leaving for Baja at the end of the month. My first road trip there and i am going solo with my dog. Would love to hook up for a caravan. I have many of the same concerns.
darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #19

If any one goes to visit Coco's corner please bring some goodies

Coco's corner has suffered a lot from the detour on the road, what was a vibrant place, full of campers and visitors is empty these days.
I was there couple of weeks ago, left behind a crate with my food supplies and some Mexican money behind..

Kind regards
jquevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #20

Been down many times, mainly sea kayaking. Be sure you have gas heading into Catavena (the turn off to Bahia de los Angeles); there are also cool cave paintings there. The map shows a Pemex station there but it is out of business, and the other station before the border with Sur is sketchy. Buy your Mexican auto insurance before you cross the border. Depending on your present carrier, you might be able to buy from them. Otherwise, Oscar Padilla is just fine. Don't put any "hose water" into your potable tank--only jug water. I use fuel octane booster when I gas up. Be sure your spare has air (duh) and that your jack works (try it). Guerro Negro is nothing to see, but the vast emptiness of the coast there is impressive; you can also get a whale-watching trip there (very good). Santa Rosalia is way cool (you'll pass right through it but go into the town). Also San Ignacio--a palm oasis. I've found excellent archaic arrow (actually dart) points on the ice-aged west shorelines of Lago Chapalla. Cave Paintings are way cool; I like the ones at San Borjutas, and the care taker's family is really nice. Also La Trinidad.

Ojala que tengan un buen viaje!
dat2ra is offline   Reply With Quote