Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #1

Baja Trip end of the month. Looking for advice, ideas.......

Hi, I know this has been said many times on this forum but I have gotten so much good information on here that I find it indispensible. Thanks all for that.

The reason I post today concerns my upcoming trip down Baja at the end of the month. I am looking for any input that might be helpful in any way. I plan to drive to the bottom of Baja and the only real known destinations are La Paz, La Ventana and Los Barilles. Other than that I open to suggestions. My schedule is flexible. I plan to cross at Tijuana and take Hiway 1 down. Upon the return leg I mayl divert to Hiway 5 and cross at Mexicali. Alternatively, I may cross at Hiway 3 and go back through Tijuana. I have spent a fair amount of time in Mexico but this is the first road trip, a newbie. I am looking for input on things such as:

1. Route suggestions
2. Security issues, precautions
3. Suggested camping spots
4. Suggested towns and hotels
l5. Favorite spots
6. Suggested equipment and/or parts
7. Road conditions
8. Sites of interest
9. Anything you may find helpful, fun or interesting
10. Any possible SMB meetups

Thank you in advance for any input you can provide. My copilot is a little concerned and I am trying to alleviate her concerns

Beagle

Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

on the way down, get to ensenada, then get tacos at el trailero, then get moving south. Everything gets much better after ensenada!
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #3

The route from the border south on Mex 1 can be high traffic and stressful. South of Ensenada is a very productive agricultural zone all the way down to San Quintin with a lot of trucks and worker busses. Once you get to El Rosario you're through it and things quiet down tremendously. We've driven down at least once every year for the last 23 and for the last six or seven we've been crossing at Calexico East and taking Mex 5 south coming out on Mex 1 at Rancho Chapala. The border crossing is usually quite chill, the route through East Mexicali over to 5 is easy and once you're South of Mexicali it's smooth sailing with very little traffic. The road is generally in great shape and you see some absolutely amazing country. Might consider this route coming or going for some variety and different experience.

BTW - the AAA map of Baja is excellent.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk some of the trip through. You're going to have a great time!
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

I'm not sure how to post a link to it, but I just got back from the San Felipe area and posted a report in the thread titled "Baja Report: Road Conditions, Malicious Teenagers & Radar Enforcement"

I can't help much with other parts of Baja, but if you need/want any info on traveling through the San Felipe area via either one of the Mexicali crossings, I'd be happy to share what I know, as we are down there quite a bit. Just shoot me a PM.

Safe Travels...
Old 01-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Hopefully, REF will see your post as he is departing with his family around the same time frame. It's also likely I'll be joining up in the near future. As for security issues,you probably already know this, but avoid driving at night if at all possible, and it's always safer to travel in a group. If you see a gas station that has gas, even if your only half empty, gas up as you never know if the next station will have any.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #6

My 7 year old and I just got back from 7 days, 400 miles down on the Pacific. We met up with some friends that had headed down a few days ahead of us and had an amazing time.

We went south along Hwy-1 and back up the Sea of Cortez at Laguna Chapalla. Pretty sure we'll be crossing at Calexico exclusively for anything south of El Rosario from hear on out. Flat, straight road with no being held up behind a line of cars and a semi. No traffic and beautiful views and pull outs. The damage from the hurricanes of a couple of years ago has all but been repaired and the road is paved all the way to Laguna Chapalla save for one 1/2 mile or so graded section that will be paved soon.

I'll try to attach a couple of photos to get the co-pilot excited!
DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #7

Pooch power to keep warm around the camp fire...

Edit: sorry for the horizontal post, not sure why this flipped during the upload...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1061.jpg  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #8

Camp site for the week...

Edit: Now it flipping them! I'll post a couple more when I can figure out this photo posting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1058.jpg  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Baja Trip end of the month. Looking for advice, ideas.......

I’m following....I’ll post up more info soon, but for now-try resizing your images smaller, I think that should remedy your flipped and sideways photos.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I’m following....I’ll post up more info soon, but for now-try resizing your images smaller, I think that should remedy your flipped and sideways photos.
Copy that, I'll give it a try tonight.