Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #21

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
too bad....

you got me thinking about heading down there. cant in dec though. i have always been skeptical about going back down there after getting robbed awhile back in baja. Of course that was on the pacific side. Is there really that much of a difference? i've been dying to fish on the east side though -- and with a wife and child... it would be nice to travel with others.

joe

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #22

Anyone who hasn't been down to see the whales is really missing a super experiance. There are basicly two places to see them. Scammons and San Ignacio. From my point of view, San Ignacio is the place to go. Our latest trip was this last March. We don't think much of the lagoon as a camping spot (just our opinion) so we usually stay with friends, or hotel it, in the town of San Ignacio and run down to the lagoon for the day. By the way, they are paving the road from town to the lagoon, and it's getting better every day. Kuyima does have a good rep, but haven't used them ourselves. Again, we go out with friends. If anyone's interested in motels in S.I. I probably have a list around here somewhere.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #23

Joe - From my biased opinon, there is a big difference in the safety from the west to east coasts in Baja. Once you get out of the border town of Mexcalli, there just aren't that many people around. We've never had a problem on the east side, and that's with hundreds of trips. We especially hate the paved road on the west side. Too much traffic on too narrow of a road. We always run down the east side (course we do have a house on that side) and do our best to do dirt roads and leave the pavement to the fast and furious types. The fishing is great on the east side and the further south you go, generally the better it gets. Warmer weather also brings in the game fish, but there's fish to catch at any time. Also, anyone who's read some of the older books on fishing in Baja will be a little disappointed these days. Like everywhere else, it ain't like it used to be. We still get into days where you can catch 'em on a bare hook with everyone in the boat haveing a fish-on at once, but those days are getting farther between. But like I said, you can always catch fish on any trip. Try the east side - you'll like it.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Baja..

I'm going to have to find some good pictures of the area and try to entice my wife to take the baja plunge... I can hear her argue about safety...
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #25

Joe - There's a bunch of Baja picture books out there. Lots of great photos that would entice most anyone who likes the desert or ocean to head south.

Here's a few of my old photos, but you can find a lot of other great pictures as I really don't know the difference between a lens cap and a night cap.

With a couple of friends in my old '96 van

We have good roads

fair roads

and fun roads

A shrimp boat on the east side road below Puerticitos.

Cactus too

Old missions

With great interiors

Good fishing off our place

Cool rock art

Fun rocks

Washes to explore

and whales to pet

Baja has a little something for most everyone. I've made hundreds of trips to Baja and so have a lot of my friends with no problems to date.
Hope you can convince your wife and can make the plunge. There's no place like Baja. You either love it or hate it.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #26

Inspiring photos, Scatter!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #27

Nice pictures make me want to head that way'''''

the desert and water/fishing sounds perfect

FB
Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #28

Looks like we may be adding and additional trip to baja this upcoming year. First (family trip) is around X-mas. The potential additional trip will likely be in March (eigth adults, two rigs, no kids). Finally, the off-road extravaganza is still set for mid-Oct '09. Again, check out www.bajanomad.com for some real-life experience regarding Baja if unsure about the place.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #29

We'll be here after the first week in December deminimis. Gotta run back north for T-Day and then we'll be back down. Let us know if you're still planning on coming down the east side. Good water, diesel/gas, and food here. I can PM you info ifin you want.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #30

Saw all the posts and didn't want to wait! I arrived in Loreto yesterday. Water is warm and weather is hot. In the mid 90's today. I am doing a little kayaking and some fishing. Planning on being home the first week in November. Will have photos and maybe a story or two to tell. Sure beats the 50 degree weather I left in Washington...
captainkettel is offline   Reply With Quote