Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #1

Baja (two wonderful opprotunities in '09) -OCT '09 Cancelled

I know its early, but already starting to plan. Family is heading down to Baja in Feb for a couple of weeks (trying to move it up to Christmas time, but unlikely). Roughly, looking at starting (first night) at Gonzaga Bay and working south (clinging to the Gulf side as best we can). Perhaps a couple of days at Bay LA, on to San Ignacio (inland, but beautiful), Mulege, Loreto, on to the Pacific perhaps at Magdelena Bay and ??? This is a family and pre-running trip, but if any of you want to meet up along the way, hang out, follow, lead, whatever, you are more than welcome (unless you are psycho).

Now, here's option two: In mid-Oct '09, a group of us off-roader types (bikes, buggies, baja bugs) is going to make the same trek based largely upon what the Feb trip yeilds. If anyone wants to join us, please do. We could use support vehicles. We'll have our SMB down for that trip, but my wife would not think of not riding in the buggy (so I'll have to bring a support driver). The trails chosen will be Sportsmobile capable. That trip is roughly going to be three/four days down and three/four back at present unless we just go one way and trailer at the end of the line (starting at San Felipe or more likely Gonzaga and going as far south as La Paz or San Jose del Cabo and returning...or not). If interested in either, let me know. Again, really could use some support vehicles in October and it makes a good excuse to get out to see some gorgous country and use your Sportsmobile for its intended purpose. Even if not running "support", you are more than welcome to join us with your SMB. The added benefit to a trip like this is the mexican food in Baja is just called "food."

Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #2

That sure is an awful lot of driving. First night Gonzaga Bay? San Felipe to Gonzaga is one whole day trip for me and even then that's driving too fast and not enjoying the trip. I might be down there at that time. I'd meet up with you guys somewhere.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #3

Bay of LA is a more realistic starting point for us in Oct '09. Love to meet up or have you along on either trip.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #4

Our house is ten miles north of Gonzaga and all are welcome to stop there and we would be up for heading south with you. Already done it a dozen times, but can't get too much. The road is freshly paved to Puertecitos so till there it's fast driving if you're not into the scenery. Then the next fifty miles to Gonzaga the road goes to hell. Does not require four wheel drive, but high clearance and GOOD tires are a must - as with most of Baja.
Sign us up!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #5

Scatter, are you talking Feb family trip or Oct off-road trip or both?? regardless, its a date. We hate paved roads (off-road Oct group). Without looking at G Earth, is there a dirt route so we (off-road Oct group) could avoid the asphalt? I realize Baja asphalt is often what we'd consider a Jeep trail in the states, but... Good camping near you guys?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

You'll be really loving the pavement after driving from Gonzaga to Puertecitos. That's got to be one of the worst roads even. Very nice scenery however. On some of the spots you will see a desconso (roadside memorial) and you can actually look over the edge of the road and the car that the people died in is still there!
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

I'm talking about the Feb trip for sure. We're usually still up here in the States in October as there's so much camping in N. Calif. and Nevada then. We'll have to see on that one. If you're coming down the east side (the only way to go as far as I'm concerned) you can stay off of a lot of the pavement south of San Felipe, but as you get closer to Puerticitos, the terrain gets rougher and there's really only one road. Lots of places you can get off of it though. After that, you don't need to hit AC for most of the way on your itinerary. I've got some decent maps, but they're in the Baja house. We're on the beach and there's LOTS of camping there and some neat spots up in the canyons too.
Don't know what your time frame is, but if you have a day to spend at our place or Gonzaga we can go over routes then and drive 'em for your Oct. trip???
Usually plenty of gas, diesel, and good water at Gonzaga (Rancho Grande)

As an add on to your thread, I mentioned it last year, but we're in Baja most of the time from November thru May and would love to have company and tie in with folks heading south. We know some neat spots and I'm sure we can learn of more from others.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #8

Once you meet my kids you'll wish you never made this offer The Feb trip is a free-wheel'n adventure. If we come to a cool place, then we'll stay there for a couple of days. No strict time schedule while traveling during the Feb trip. With that, we'll be there with bells on for sure. Thank you very much for the offer.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #9

Sounds like some really fun trips you have planned. Thanks for the open invitation. No clue if we can make them, but for those that are not familiar with Baja, they are visiting some fantastic areas. Bay of LA has some great scuba diving (whale sharks) and fishing. Directly across the coast from Bay of LA is some phenomenal surfing. Finally San Ignacio during the whale season (Feb should be good) is one of the most amazing and spiritual experiences of my life.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #10

The offer stands deminimis and to any others what have the spirit of adventure to head south of the border this fall, winter or spring. We are a good stop for those heading further south, willing to tag along if invited and can provide bikes, quads and a boat for some local fun. Last I checked (in June) diesel was around $2.08 with gas a little more. Pretty cheeeep vacation. Cheap is good!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB